Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill
I did a little research on this proposal about a year ago and came to the conclusion its merely a prop to be used by wealthy foreigners with ostensible financial interest to take advantage of some loophole for gaining permanent residency in the U.S. I couldn't find any real people who actually develop stuff associated with it. I remember they had a certain fundraising goal and weren't even remotely close to reaching it so I just wrote it off. But maybe I just don't get it.
|
It's called an EB-5 Visa. There have been some scams out there, but a whole lot of real estate had also been financed through the program over the past 30 years. Hotels in particular have utilized a lot of eb5 financing.
The latest update on this project is they have all the investors lined up and the project recently (late 2017) gained approval from USCIS. Petitions from the investors have been submitted to USCIS which, if all are approved, would allow the project to start. Around the time the proejct was approved by USCIS fences went up around the temple (not the tower construction site) and reportedly work on restoration of the interior is supposed to begin soon.
I think this is far from a sure deal, but it has some legs. The rendering are all quite old though -- from the Trump Tower era. Not sure what will come if it, but I wouldn't expect a project of this type to spend a lot of money on 'design'.