Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemans_rowJ
I agree with you on point #1. At the end of the day this guy has land and it's in relative short supply. However, that being said, he doesn't appear "motivated" and there are obviously lots of motivated parking lot owners.
|
Motivation is an interesting thing and not always easy to judge. If a property is listed for sale at a 'reasonable' price then motivation is assumed. There's no shortage of owners that for years have no motivation to sell; then one day they decide they want to sell for whatever reason and deals happen all the time like that. But
Robert.hampton reminds us:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton
Mind you they have been fumbling this project for 18 months straight. You may be conflating ‘balls’ withe complete ineptitude.
|
Tell one personal story that exemplifies a few things:
I list a townhome property for a gentleman that is in the midst of developing two blocks downtown. Priced fairly, two (or three) virtually full-price offers show up quickly. I might have indicated to my seller that one particular buyer was fully capable of doing this deal but didn't always perform. Anyway, I get no response to these offers, no counters, nothing, silence. My manager was a bit apoplectic; ignoring full-price offers and offering no feedback as to why? "He was busy." Does this guy want to sell or not?
Only thing I figured is that his lawyers, IIRC he used Sherman and Howard, gave him feedback that made him reticent. Soon, another offer comes in from a buyer that was more of a one-deal-at-a-time type but presumably capable of closing; he wanted to do a condo conversion. I took the forbidden step of suggesting to the buyer's agent (who I worked with) that we offer to put the two parties together. Buyer was predictably fine with that and so was my seller. After consulting with his PA a time slot for meeting was determined.
The first ten minutes were spent getting to know each other and talking a little business. The next 20 minutes were spent talking about 'concentration camps' and other Jewish matters (both were Jewish). Then my seller simply stated he'd send the contract to his lawyer and let him review it prior to proceeding. It was important for my seller to be able to speak with and look into the eyes of the buyer. The rest was handled by the agents and lawyers.
My seller, from Toronto and in his 60's, earlier in life had survived by crawling away from a Nazi concentration camp; nothing fazed him. People can be hard to to read or understand at times except in hindsight. I only had two meaningful meetings with this esteemed gentleman; my initial proposal and our 'forbidden' meeting between both parties.
The buyer was not really as 'capable' as other offers but I suspect that the Seller read his motivation for doing the deal and wanted THIS buyer. Point being, some sellers enjoy/prefer to work with a less qualified but more specifically motivated buyer. It sounds like Buzz was extremely patient to give perhaps a less qualified buyer full opportunity but at some point the buyer has to either perform or forget it. Assuming there was a year-long contract that is more than fair consideration on the Seller's part.