Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City
....
and the City's website refers to rapid bus from Arbutus to UBC, although obviously that might not be where the bus route ends (although that's how it reads).
|
I remember TransLink talking of turning all B-Lines into BRT-style routes but I didn't know there was already a plan for this for the remainder of the 99.
Can you provide a link to the documents?
(
http://http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/translink-2017-kevin-desmond-rapid-bus-b-line)
I'd also like to add it's crazy how the 99 B-Line was the first B-Line yet it'll probably be the longest lasting. With introduction in 1996 and partial truncation in 2002 with the Millennium Line, then soon-to-be truncation to Arbutus in about 2026 (they said 2025 before but it's probably been delayed) , the whole thing will be replaced by about 2035 or so, by my predictions. That's 40 YEARS! Compare this with the
-97 B-Line: 2002-2016 (Evergreen Extension), 14 years
-98 B-Line: 2000-2009 (Canada Line), 9 years
-96 B-Line: 2013-? 2025 ? (with likely opening of Surrey LRT), 12 years
Now with another 9 or 11 (I've seen varying numbers) B-Lines to be added in the 10-Year Vision (as the 95 is already in) , I find it unlikely that we'll be seeing anything remotely close to the 10-15 year "replace with SkyTrain" timeline. Of course this doesn't hold true with the planned Fraser Highway B-Line (LRT or SkyTrain extension planned), so I can see why they would want to implement them as BRT routes given the likely long wait period before replacement with SkyTrain. A longer term makes that fixed upfront investment worth it. However, I would argue if the goal is to build ridership and development on the corridor to justify the SkyTrain, then BRT should be the standard to aim to. Better stations and faster speeds make the difference for the marginal commuters.