Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa
Loiters and vagrants are a problem with law enforcement and can happen no matter what transit option is chosen if law enforcement does not enforce laws.
I don't think a transit mall would have worked in this case (the Confederation Line needs far more capacity than a surface LRT could offer and a Rideau Centre connection is necessary or at least very beneficial). However, I don't see a reason why a transit mall couldn't work in other contexts in Ottawa.
The main shopping street in Nice has a newish tram and it works well.
|
Good Day.
1) Absolutely. Enforcement and patrol is Everything, in this context.
2) I was not proposing Sparks T-M as instead of the Confed Line - absolutely not. That was a main reason I opposed the Chiarelli NS-LRT line through the downtown - it would have been an absolute capacity/frequency/consistency nightmare.
Rather, the Sparks T-M should complement the Confed Line. It would provide local connectivity at the least, with more frequent stops. And it would not be capacity -essential-, being subject to traffic congestion and marcher obstruction. And being one block offset from the Confed Line is precisely correct, in terms of customer flow between the two. Exits from the Confed line like on O'Connor (155 Queen St Heritage Bldg.) would be perfect for interchange. Just my opinion.
EnJoy!