HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8801  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 10:39 PM
Querce Querce is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 132
Quote:
Ochterloney St, between Crichton Ave & Prince Albert Rd will reopen tomorrow at 6pm. The sidewalk on the west/Sullivan's Pond side of work area will remain closed until spring 2018. The sidewalk on the opposite side will open tomorrow at 6pm. Thanks to everyone for their patience
https://twitter.com/HalifaxWater/status/943929053165379585

It's a Christmas miracle
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8802  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 10:53 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,515
That twitter feed is a little disturbing...

Quote:
The size of a car is perfectly correlated with fear.
Yikes!

Edit: Didn't notice the post by Querce directly above mine has a twitter feed in it as well... I don't find that one disturbing. (lol)

Was actually referring to the one in Colin's post on the previous page:

Quote:
Is this akin to winning an Olympic medal ?
Oh, and Merry Christmas to you and may 2018 be better than 2017 ( mine was a bit s--t after falling and breaking my hip when dismounting from a bike !!!)
Amazing what people post on Twitter (I refuse to join & I don't have a cellphone)
A few gems I noticed included a cyclist going the wrong way on a one way street and complaining about the ice on the road. First post on Dec 15.
And then a photo of a woman, possibly his wife, cycling on a snowy road; first 2 posts on Dec 16 see - https://twitter.com/kyleplans
And then scroll down to the first post on Dec 12
Would you insure such people ?
Would you want to be in the same insurance pool ?
Is that safer than the safety rules for small children in a car ?
I'd view this as reckless and endangering a small child to make a political statement.
I must admit that as a child and an adult I did some stupid stuff when riding a bike but I never endangered the lives of my kids.
Just had to clear that up...

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Dec 22, 2017 at 1:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8803  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 8:36 AM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,105
A number of buildings were torn down at Almon and Gottingen in Stadicona, redevelopment appears to be moving a long quickly as there is now a tower crane base in place. I don’t think I have heard of what is going in here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8804  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 12:51 PM
ns_kid's Avatar
ns_kid ns_kid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
A number of buildings were torn down at Almon and Gottingen in Stadicona, redevelopment appears to be moving a long quickly as there is now a tower crane base in place. I don’t think I have heard of what is going in here.
I believe this is a new training facility or "drill shed" for which Bird Construction won the contract back in 2015. The expected price tag was in the $35 million range. According to a Herald piece, "a spokesperson from [DND] said the shed will provide consolidated training facilities for the Seamanship Division at Stadacona [and] will include offices, classrooms, 6,000 square metres of training space and more than 400 square metres of outdoor space."

The project was to replace four existing training buildings: Stadacona Building 14, Windsor Park Building 41, Windsor Park Building 60 and Windsor Park Building 61.

A search did not come up with any renderings for the project and Bird doesn't mention it among its list of projects on its website. Perhaps others here have more information.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8805  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 9:41 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
More progress on the daylighting.

20180105_141229 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20180105_141825 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

2018-01-06_05-38-33 by Jonovision23, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8806  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 6:11 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,055
I had heard a description of the fencing as chain link, but that type of fence looks good
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8807  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:20 AM
Metalsales Metalsales is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
I believe this is a new training facility or "drill shed" for which Bird Construction won the contract back in 2015. The expected price tag was in the $35 million range. According to a Herald piece, "a spokesperson from [DND] said the shed will provide consolidated training facilities for the Seamanship Division at Stadacona [and] will include offices, classrooms, 6,000 square metres of training space and more than 400 square metres of outdoor space."

The project was to replace four existing training buildings: Stadacona Building 14, Windsor Park Building 41, Windsor Park Building 60 and Windsor Park Building 61.

A search did not come up with any renderings for the project and Bird doesn't mention it among its list of projects on its website. Perhaps others here have more information.
Bird were just working on finalizing the contract. Not sure if this is done or not. I have plans for the building but they are over a year old and may have changed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8808  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 6:10 PM
RoshanMcG RoshanMcG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Halifax
Posts: 558
Quote:
City on the rise: Halifax ranks fourth on global list of top travel spots for 2018

The city is the only one in Canada to make the 2018 TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice awards for Destinations on the Rise
http://www.metronews.ca/news/halifax/201...l-list-of-top-travel-spots-for-2018.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8809  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 6:17 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Velo Apartments (2300 Gottingen) are coming along nicely.


Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8810  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:09 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Velo Apartments (2300 Gottingen) are coming along nicely.


Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)
Might fit better in the Velo Apartments thread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8811  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 11:13 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
The exterior of the infill project on Dresden is nearing completion.

20180122_113421_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20180122_113449 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20180122_113513 by Jonovision23, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8812  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 3:30 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,055
Bell lofts is getting tall, walking in the Dartmouth Commons and it seems as tall/level as Seacoast Towers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8813  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:24 PM
IanWatson IanWatson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,425
The former Clyde Street NSLC is going to be one of the nine marijuana sales locations. I imagine this is going to piss some people off, as I believe the idea had been that the building would eventually get torn down and the site better-integrated with the Schmidtville neighbourhood.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8814  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 7:16 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
The former Clyde Street NSLC is going to be one of the nine marijuana sales locations. I imagine this is going to piss some people off, as I believe the idea had been that the building would eventually get torn down and the site better-integrated with the Schmidtville neighbourhood.
I can only imagine how the property owners in that area will feel about the stench polluting their historic district and the quality of customers who will be hanging about.

That seems like an expensive piece of not particularly good retail property to be using for something like this. I thought NSLC was going to sell it off.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8815  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 8:56 PM
terrynorthend terrynorthend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
The former Clyde Street NSLC is going to be one of the nine marijuana sales locations. I imagine this is going to piss some people off, as I believe the idea had been that the building would eventually get torn down and the site better-integrated with the Schmidtville neighbourhood.
Yeah, this seems like a big misstep. Not the right neighbourhood/vibe for it. Agricola's bohemian district would make a better spot IMHO.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8816  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 10:03 PM
KeithC KeithC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 25
NSLC should be renamed:

NSPLC - Nova Scotia Pot and Liquor Corporation

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8817  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 10:59 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I can only imagine how the property owners in that area will feel about the stench polluting their historic district and the quality of customers who will be hanging about.
It does seem a little disappointing. However, in areas where pot is legal the stores selling it tend to lose some of their seedy character. In a few years they probably won't be seen as much better or worse than the normal range of liquor stores.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8818  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 12:35 AM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It does seem a little disappointing. However, in areas where pot is legal the stores selling it tend to lose some of their seedy character. In a few years they probably won't be seen as much better or worse than the normal range of liquor stores.
The neighborhood residents didn't want the liquor store there either.

As @terrynorthend noted, Agricola would have been a better choice, but I imagine they didn't have the space to spare.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8819  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 12:08 PM
eastcoastal eastcoastal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The neighborhood residents didn't want the liquor store there either.

As @terrynorthend noted, Agricola would have been a better choice, but I imagine they didn't have the space to spare.
Agree - I doubt the neighbourhood wants/wanted either. I feel like the former Clyde St. NSLC would be best as a neighbourhood-oriented retail space... corner store, small restaurant, small green grocer or butcher. Spring Garden and South Park are really the places for city-oriented businesses.

I also agree that Agricola would seem like a more natural location for a central/peninsular location. Perhaps Clyde St. is only a placeholder for now and we'll see it close (with a new construction or renovation elsewhere... somewhere more "bohemian") in a few years, after marijuana sales become normalized.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8820  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 1:16 PM
mleblanc mleblanc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Agree - I doubt the neighbourhood wants/wanted either. I feel like the former Clyde St. NSLC would be best as a neighbourhood-oriented retail space... corner store, small restaurant, small green grocer or butcher. Spring Garden and South Park are really the places for city-oriented businesses.

I also agree that Agricola would seem like a more natural location for a central/peninsular location. Perhaps Clyde St. is only a placeholder for now and we'll see it close (with a new construction or renovation elsewhere... somewhere more "bohemian") in a few years, after marijuana sales become normalized.
Especially after announcing a 4k sqft NSLC in the Nova Centre. If you're looking for a downtown location, that seems like it should be the one, not some old store in a residential neighbourhood.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:33 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.