Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277
Yes, the numbers are changing, as we are having a casual conversation online, you seem to think you are writing a PhD thesis or something. I am not applying much rigor to the conversation, just throwing out ideas. I can freely admit that. At the same time I am somewhat taking some of your assumptions at face value and you are acting like a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 with some of my assumptions. Regardless, can you screen shot your calculation of the Elements lot size in GIS, because I still think you are talking out of your behind over-exaggerating the size of the lot.
In any case, I would agree that 80-100k per unit is still too high, which is why I suggested the myriad of things that can be done to drag down those land values almost overnight. Most of them focus on rental units and limiting speculation.
|
Fortunately we already have real life examples to see how the numbers work out. Here's the assessment roll for a 9 year old, 7-storey 80-unit building on West Broadway:
http://vanmapp.vancouver.ca/pubreports_n...0&LandCoordinate=65009508&SiteId=BCS3655
Note that it's already much denser, and less ground-oriented than your high-end Calgary example.
The site according to GIS is 25,000sf, or as you would say "4 lots" lol. The land is assessed at just over $40M, and the building at $29M, if you add up each strata unit. The average unit is about $860K, about $500k of each unit is land. The average unit size is 850sf, compared to the 3-bedroom units in Elements.
It's in a west-side location on a transit corridor, so $10M "per lot" might be high. But on Cambie St, SFH lots start at $3.5M, then jump to $6M when rezoned, and $9-10M when assembled with other lots for future development. The average SFH 60' lot in Vancouver located nowhere near transit, is over $3M.
If we upzone all SFH for multi-family the price per lot would be much higher than $3M, but hopefully lower than $10M. Let's say $5M average for the city of Vancouver ($6M westside, $4M eastside). The average 800sf unit, if we did midrises everywhere, as dense as inner city Paris, will cost $600K, with $250k going to land.