HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
It sounds like you were a real rascal back then Earl.

What kind of boat was the Argonaut? (it looks like you have a still onboard)

It was somebody's idea of cruising boat, home built on a 42 ft Higgins hull like this model from the New Orleans museum. That spoonbill bow and tall cabin made her a real handful in any kind of a seaway, but handy for riverine work because you could run her up on a river bank. The tank was for propane. And yes, my mates and I were legends in our own time

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 3:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post

It was somebody's idea of cruising boat, home built on a 42 ft Higgins hull like this model from the New Orleans museum. That spoonbill bow and tall cabin made her a real handful in any kind of a seaway, but handy for riverine work because you could run her up on a river bank. The tank was for propane. And yes, my mates and I were legends in our own time

Cheers,

Earl
These WW II surplus small boats were a lot of fun for the Sea Scouts. As a Boy Scout I traveled from Long Beach to Catalina Island and back on a similar boat in the 1950s. We landed at Avalon
and camped out on the golf course for the weekend. The Los Angeles Sea Scout boat was on loan to us for the trip. No luxury but it got us there.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4052/4...3f5248b5_b.jpg

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jan 2, 2018 at 3:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Well as long as we're on the subject of our youth—I'm not from Los Angeles, but Santa Barbara. We had LA television, though, and growing up with ads for Pete Ellis Dodge [...] I had a lot of Angelenic influence.

Oh, no, don't start me remembering that Pete Ellis jingle! I remember that, especially in the late 70's, early 80's. For some reason it was one of the catchiest ever. I'll bet I remember it now:

Pete Ellis Dodge
Long Beach Freeway
Firestone Exit
Southgate

Sound like just simple directions? They are, but if you ever want to remember an address,
let it have a catchy jingle like this one; just looked it up on youtube. Three versions of it.

Video Link

The second one is what I remember most. The first one shows Pete Ellis at his best. I don't remember that third one at all!

Long Beach Freeway Firestone Exit Southgate...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Oh, no, don't start me remembering that Pete Ellis jingle! I remember that, especially in the late 70's, early 80's. For some reason it was one of the catchiest ever. I'll bet I remember it now:

Pete Ellis Dodge
Long Beach Freeway
Firestone Exit
Southgate

Sound like just simple directions? They are, but if you ever want to remember an address,
let it have a catchy jingle like this one; just looked it up on youtube. Three versions of it.

Video Link

The second one is what I remember most. The first one shows Pete Ellis at his best. I don't remember that third one at all!

Long Beach Freeway Firestone Exit Southgate...
Oh now you've done it. I'll have all three versions in my head all day.

I grew up between those South Gate and Bellflower dealerships, so I not only heard the jingle on tv and radio, I had the benefit of driving past them frequently.

Speaking of noted Los Angeles institutions, does everyone remember Federated and those wacky Fred Rated ads?

Here's a lengthy playlist to refresh your memory:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...7EDB77AC5790F7

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 8:31 PM

Regarding Pete Ellis — when I was growing up we had a rotating television antenna on our roof, and we would occasionally turn it around and point it toward San Diego to see what could be seen. On one of those occasions I saw a Pete Ellis commercial for a dealership he had in San Diego, quite some time before he opened car dealerships in Los Angeles County. It had one of the most inane jingles I ever heard: "All the other car dealers are jealous...of Ellis in Wonderland!" It's not on YouTube but I remember the tune perfectly. I wonder how many important and useful bits of info have slipped from my memory merely because the Ellis commercial got there first.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 12:28 AM

The only commercial I remember from my time in L.A. is Cal Worthington and his dog Spot.

Video Link

"If your wife has started naggin' and your tail pipe is a draggin"....Go See Cal.....Go See Cal....Go See Cal

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 1:35 AM

re: Lookout Mountain, 1911

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys View Post
The "white rocks" I suspect is a bee yard.

Looked at Historic Aerials, but couldn't make out what the site was. I've hiked the area just to the southwest, but never been to this one. Bee Canyon is just to the east, so perhaps that's a clue to solving "white rocks?" BTW, the LA Aqueduct siphon traverses Bee Canyon, then tunnels southwest through the ridge parallel to San Francisquito Canyon Road to Drinkwater reservoir and powerhouse II. In this immediate area, there are four tunnel audits, and the remains of the "Hogback" aqueduct construction camp, circa 1912 (fun place to relic hunt).
Andys
It's the old Phillips Ranch. I am very familiar with this place.
Look it up under SCVHistory.com and search for Phillips Ranch.
It should be the first thing that comes up.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:08 AM

Quote:
I appreciate the information HG. So the inmates were paid a small amount, right? (I've never been a fan of slave labor

I checked out the camp oldstuff. thanks for the location.

gsv

There are some ruins over on the right near where it says Baird Canyon------->

a closer look

detail

I've looked at this from all directions and can't figure out what used to be there. -& are the white rocks (I think they're rocks) trying to spell something out?

The road leading to the ruins is chained off.

gsv/detail

Is anyone familiar with this area.....or have an idea what this place used to be?

_
It's the old Phillips Ranch. Look it up under SCVHistory.com and search Phillips Ranch. It should be the first thing that comes up

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:32 AM

"In 1952 Phil & Gladys Phillips built the ranch to be a resort. It was very popular for quite a while, having a pool, a restaurant, an aviary, a shooting range,
deer and quail hunting, horse back riding — and far enough away to limit uninvited law enforcement."

-condensed from scvhistory

scvhistory

Why the "uninvited law enforcement" comment? Did I miss something?

scvhistory

CHEERS!
( the woman sitting at the bar is Gladys Phillips) re: facebook

scvhistory

The two main buildings — the restaurant/bar and the house (shown below) — had been abandoned by the time they were destroyed in the June 2002 Copper fire.

scvhistory

and this is interesting:

"The property was originally homesteaded by Ben Hickin, who on July 15, 1912, was granted a patent to 47.56 acres of land
straddling San Francisquito Canyon Road (see plat below). A little over a decade later, the property was inundated by the St. Francis reservoir

— i.e., it was under water from 1924-1928."

plat map

thanks for pointing me in the right direction DavidWilliam. I appreciate it buddy.

Special thanks to SCVHISTORY

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 3, 2018 at 7:20 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 8:43 AM

Ethereal Reality introduced us to this "mystery photo" of a Richfield gas station at the corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Van Ness on page 1673.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Famous male hustler Scotty Bowers and his team of sex workers operated out of a Richfield gas station at 5777 Hollywood Blvd., corner of Van Ness, in the 1940's. It is no doubt pictured here.
In his 2012 memoir, "Full Service," the aged Bowers describes revisiting the scene of the old service station about 2011 and writes that "a new fire station for the Los Angeles Fire Department was rising there." The fire station address is 5769 (chuckle) Hollywood Blvd.
Bowers wrote, "Over the years more Hollywood personalities secretly congregated at that little gas station than anywhere else in town. It was a scene that saw as much furious action as the busiest studio back lot. The place became a magnet for those in quest of carnal thrills and escapism of every kind. A cavalcade of movie stars and others were attracted to the station like the proverbial moth to a flame...Straight, gay, or bi; male or female; young or old - I had something for everyone. The vice squad and the press were constantly lurking on the periphery, eagerly waiting to pounce. But I always managed to elude them."
This photo, showing the station at the foot of a tranquil-looking Hollywood residential street, was probably taken at the height of Bower's "reign," which started in 1946 and lasted several years. In his book, I recall he described a brick motel either next door or across the street. A picture of that would be interesting.

The new documentary about Scotty Bowers, "Scotty and The Secret History of Hollywood," premiered this fall at film festivals in Toronto and New York, and the reviews have been uniformly positive. Here's one from The Hollywood reporter:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/re...review-1037277

Another view of The infamous Richfield gas station at Hollywood Blvd. and Van Ness, about 1949/50. (A larger photo shows a 1949 Mercury on the Boulevard).
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/--AGGkVbmr...we5yhw354y.JPG

Scotty Bowers USMC, early or mid-1940's, Hollywood.
https://media.vanityfair.com/photos/...tty-bowers.jpg

Scotty with pals, presumably some of his "studs-for-hire," with unidentified woman, mid 1950's.
http://wstale.com/wp-content/uploads...history_01.jpg

Scotty with actresses Valerie Vernon and Constance Dowling at a Hollywood party, mid-1950's.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...5500805236.jpg

The documentary arrives in theatres in April.

I watched an after-screening Q&A with the documentarian (nominated for an Oscar for "Valentino: The Last Emporer") on youtube and some formerly-skeptical audience members, previously convinced that Bowers is a liar because some of his stories are shocking and outlandish, spoke up and admitted that the movie changed their views.

Last edited by JeffDiego; Dec 20, 2022 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:08 PM

I am very familiar with this place. It's the old Phillips Ranch. You can look it up under SCVHistory.com and search Phillips Ranch. It will probably be the first thing that comes up. Sorry to see it all torn down. It was quite a place in it's day.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:19 PM

Did you see my post from last night DW? I posted photographs of the ranch and included links to SCVHistory/Phillips Ranch

craig krull gallery

5041 Felton Avenue, Hawthorne, August 17, 1991 by John Humble

GSV took me to this house but there are significant differences.

gsv

some are obvious; the arches were removed (except for one), the round vent over the garage is gone and the garage door is larger.

but why remove the front door and gable?

gsv

Do you think this is the same house?
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 3, 2018 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:35 PM

[QUOTE=Flyingwedge;8031901]Yes, that is a great snapshot! The place looks full, apparently with spectators even out on the field along the outfield wall. The
ceremonial pitcher is standing on the mound, which was five inches higher back then, so he might have been normal-sized. I
guess all the photographers are hiding the catcher? I tried to figure out what game this might have been, but I came up empty.

I grew up in South Central LA in the '50s and '60s and attended LA Angels PCL and American League games at Wrigley Field. I recall sitting in the outfield behind a rope when there was an overflow crowd - it was a charity double header of a PCL Angels game preceded by a game played by teams made up of movie stars and other celebrities. Another time there we sat out there for a PCL game against the hated Hollywood Stars. My father told me of big time boxing matches and football games, and barnstorming baseball games featuring black teams playing Major League All-Stars, at Wrigley. Before WWII and marrying my mother he had hung around the fight game and was a habitue of pool halls.

Going to games, I recall entering, going through the concourse under the stands, and up stairs to the first level and there was the beautiful, green, cool, manicured baseball field, with crisp white lines, stretched out in front to the walls, and the houses behind. Juxtaposition from the streets to the field.

When the AL Angels played at Wrigley it was paradise - we got the see the AL big league players in person that we'd seen on television or read about - Ford, Berra, Maris, Mantle, Colavito, Kaline, Robinson, Aparicio, Minoso, Yastrzemski...plus the Angels Leon Wagner, Ted Kluzewski and PCL Angels star Steve Bilko.

For the first Yankees - Angels day game a buddy and I ditched school and went to the game in our parochial school uniform of salt-and-pepper cord trousers and white shirts. After a few innings we left the bleachers and snuck into empty box seats behind first base on the first level. I look around and sitting next to me in the next box is my father - who was supposed to be at work - in all his glory. Neatly attired in his tweed sport jacket and slacks, pencil-thin mustache, shades on, balancing a beer, keeping score on the scorecard, a pint of whisky in the breast pocket of his coat and smoking a cigarette. He looked at me and cooly said, "Don't tell your mother." He gave me a ride home from the game, telling mom he had picked me up at school - something he never did. She intuited something was fishy, but could not figure out what happened. We both got away with it.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:45 PM

Love that story, Slauson Slim!
Thanks for sharing it, lol!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:50 PM

Quote:

E_R, in the 1991 photo (above) it looks like they're building some freeway lanes or off-ramps and such. I don't know if I ever recall any structures like that being torn down. On the GSV photo there are elevated roadway structures in the distance. Perhaps that's closer to where the house was in the photo? (Despite the address given, of course.)

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:01 PM

Yes, thanks for your recollections, Slauson Slim! Richard Beverage wrote histories of both Pacific Coast League
Los Angeles Angels and Hollywood Stars, for anyone interested in those subjects.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:

craig krull gallery

5041 Felton Avenue, Hawthorne, August 17, 1991 by John Humble

GSV took me to this house but there are significant differences.

gsv

_
There seems to have been a mixup in labeling the photos, because "5041 Felton Avenue" is actually 5021 W. 117th Street at Tahoe Avenue.

The second house is 5001 W. 119th Place at the NW corner of Felton Avenue.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jan 3, 2018 at 7:41 PM. Reason: confusion

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:51 PM

You beat me to it FW!

Here's 5021 W 117th Street, Hawthorne, not far from the house that Google suggested. The property websites give a build date of 1992, which is a year after the photographer's date.

GSV

Looking at Historic Aerials, the street was originally cut about four houses west when the freeway was built. The expansion work seen in e_r's picture made this the corner of the street, and this house appears to be a different shape compared to the one in the 1980 aerial, so maybe it was built around then. The neighboring houses were built in the '40s.

NB. GSV insists that this is Tahoe Avenue.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 9:42 PM

Quote:
The new documentary about Scotty Bowers, "Scotty and The Secret History of Hollywood," premiered this fall at film festivals in Toronto and New York, and the reviews have been uniformly positive.

Thank, Jeff, I was unaware a documentary was being made about the Scotty Bowers Full Service book. (I'd read it when it came out.)

Quote:

Scotty with pals, presumably some of his "studs-for-hire," with unidentified woman, mid 1950's.
http://wstale.com/wp-content/uploads...history_01.jpg

I don't suppose it would be possible to identify this red building with the scant lettering seen from a sign on it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos