Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45
Among others, most obviously, all the middle-class Vancouverites who bought cheap cookie-cutter bungalows in the 1970s and 1980s to raise their families in, and kept them for a couple decades at least.
... isn't that the exact article someone123 just shared? Anyway, I'm on record agreeing 100% with him for years: the official data is pretty damn useless because we have no idea who are the real owners.
For years, every time SSPers sounding like realtor shills says something like "fact: only 5% of the market in Van is foreign-owned", I set the record straight by pointing out that the truth is "5% is directly foreign-owned by flesh and bone individuals, the remaining 95% is a mix of Canadian-owned and foreign-owned-but-not-directly-to-their-personal-name".
No, they can also refinance and do various things with the money, which helps the banks and the Canadian economy in general.
And in the cases where they do go somewhere else, that's awesome for the greater good in Canada - for all the communities in which these people arrive with their fresh capital, ready to spend on a house and goodies, this influx of new millionaires is certainly a positive thing. If the price to pay is that a few Van neighborhoods become quasi-ghost-towns, it seems totally worth it.
|
Yep, same article, didn't see it.
I guess I have a different view of what is positive for the country and what isn't. I don't see the desolation of what could be a great city, something we have a very limited number of in Canada, as an OK price to pay for a little bit of money (in the grand scheme of things, although who knows as we don't have the data).
Would it be OK if our alpha city, Toronto, suffered a similar fate - which is the current path it's going down? How about Montreal?
Those lucky Vancouverites who made like bandits with their cookie cutter bungalows probably aren't going to be in that enviable a position. Many won't want to move anyway, so the paper value is useless, and they probably have children who are now trying to get their own place to live, which can only realistically be financed with their parents' money. I think your theory of inflows of foreign money flowing outwards to the rest of Canada to be fanciful, but even if true, I'd still rather houses were affordable for the average working person, as they will then be able to use the rest of their disposable income on things that benefit the economy.
Just my opinion, but I also have the idealistic idea that creating policy to allow people to live affordably is 'the right thing to do'. But that's just me.