Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion
You don't see a problem with forcing Canadian doctors and lawyers to live in social housing apartments so that Chinese multi-millionaires can own all property in Vancouver? It is not just the poor who are priced out here, it's getting close to being everyone who doesn't import millions from outside the country.
|
No I don't. Anyone who has the money or leverage can buy whatever home on the open market.
You are working on the assumption that "social housing" means housing for the poor.
I am not proposing subsidised housing. I proposing the government off financial guarantees to non-profits (who operate outside of government) to borrow money to buy build and operate housing.
How is this different than say "VanCity". VanCity is a non-profit co-op that provides banking to a large percentage of local Vancouver residents. I am certain there are some lawyer and doctors in Vancouver that bank at a non-profit instead of banking at BMO, RBC or TD.
How is this different than Mountain Equipment Co-op. They are a sporting goods retailer that happens to be a Non-Profit. How is shopping at MEC different than Cabela's.
Best Western hotels or Home Hardware are also co-ops. Would you be offended if a Doctor or Lawyer shopped at Home Hardware vrs Home Depot.
If the problem is affordable "market" housing, then the solution is to go create it and stop worry about stopping this person or that person from buying a house on the open market or imposing taxes on an empty house.
Create a bunch of housing societies all indecently managed and they will all end up with different approaches and focuses. What I am proposing is government kick start that initial housing stock.