HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9081  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 9:16 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,848
couple of other big projects in the Pipeline. Huge warehouse in St Alberts SW in planing. And Champion Pet foods is about to build a major facility in YEG. I think this one is in Tender.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #9082  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 9:25 PM
ExcaliburKid's Avatar
ExcaliburKid ExcaliburKid is online now
Derp
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,227
Champion going into Acheson (splitting hairs, I know...)
Huge 385K Sq. Ft. facility, tenders closed last week for most major trades
Multi-millions for mech alone, should keep a lot of people busy for some time
     
     
  #9083  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 9:35 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,133
Acheson indeed. Had the pleasure of going to their Dogstar US facility in TN. last spring to check things out. Amazing facility, expect nothing less here.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #9084  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 9:40 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,133
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #9085  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 9:58 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
Champion going into Acheson (splitting hairs, I know...)
Huge 385K Sq. Ft. facility, tenders closed last week for most major trades
Multi-millions for mech alone, should keep a lot of people busy for some time
Know of a couple of Mech that backed away because of the time frame for construction. That said, with the projects coming on stream employment will be up next year.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #9086  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 1:55 AM
MacLac MacLac is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Beaumont, AB
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Acheson indeed. Had the pleasure of going to their Dogstar US facility in TN. last spring to check things out. Amazing facility, expect nothing less here.
Dog food plant?
     
     
  #9087  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 3:01 PM
Landlocked Landlocked is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Acheson indeed. Had the pleasure of going to their Dogstar US facility in TN. last spring to check things out. Amazing facility, expect nothing less here.
Any concern about smell in the surrounding area of a modern facility? Nothing against Morinville, but that town stinks like puppy chow a lot of the time.
     
     
  #9088  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 3:28 PM
CMD UW's Avatar
CMD UW CMD UW is offline
Urbis Maximus
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 12,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
couple of other big projects in the Pipeline. Huge warehouse in St Alberts SW in planing. And Champion Pet foods is about to build a major facility in YEG. I think this one is in Tender.
They've already started the grade beam work on the Champion Pet Foods facility. It's a big dollar value, something like $350M or so. I'm surprised there hasn't been much press over this.
__________________
"Call me sir, goddammit!"
     
     
  #9089  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 3:29 PM
CMD UW's Avatar
CMD UW CMD UW is offline
Urbis Maximus
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 12,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Makes sense. The NDP have made that a priority, and the existing labs are in need of upgrading. Also coincides with the end of Dynalife's lease extension
This super lab was in discussions under the previous PC government. So its not the brainchild of the NDP by any means, just picking up where the previous administration left off.
__________________
"Call me sir, goddammit!"
     
     
  #9090  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 4:39 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLac View Post
Dog food plant?
Yes. eventually replace the Morrinville plant.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #9091  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 5:16 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
They've already started the grade beam work on the Champion Pet Foods facility. It's a big dollar value, something like $350M or so. I'm surprised there hasn't been much press over this.
They are very low-key folks.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #9092  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 5:17 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlocked View Post
Any concern about smell in the surrounding area of a modern facility? Nothing against Morinville, but that town stinks like puppy chow a lot of the time.
The one outside of Auburn wasn't bad, but I would guess some. Much improved over the current though.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #9093  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 6:01 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
true enough.

hmmm... lamp standards; granite bollards; sculpture gardens in the middle of the street; wading pools with no water; blatchford; northlands; coliseum; bridge construction, reconstruction and maintenance; signalling systems; hotels with no access; canada place; adding a federal prison to downtown; creating market intervention zoning...
The more I've been thinking about the overall civic situation, unfortunately the more pessimistic I've become. How can the ship we call the City be turned around? First of all, who wants the job of captain on the Titanic?

The City's problems are so endemic, it would take a pandemic to clean it out. Then would come the hard hard work of rebuilding the corpse.
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
     
     
  #9094  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 7:24 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
I was talking with my father about civic issues a while ago while I was visiting the folks in BC, He is a retired attorney and recalled that the city of Edmonton has had a bit of a storied history of corruption, and that Edmonton had a "wild west" mentality when it came to regulations and such. Based on my experiences with the city I can believe it.
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #9095  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 7:28 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
This super lab was in discussions under the previous PC government. So its not the brainchild of the NDP by any means, just picking up where the previous administration left off.
I think the NDP has had far more impact on the implementation of the project and how the facility will be run, the removal of Dynalife from the picture etc than the PC's did
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #9096  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 7:58 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I think the NDP has had far more impact on the implementation of the project and how the facility will be run, the removal of Dynalife from the picture etc than the PC's did
Miseriecordia Hospital replacement, Ft Mac Hospital replacement, renovation or expansion, all were talked about by the previous government. A lot of talk and no action. this group is at least moving on some of the major infrastructure needs.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #9097  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 8:05 PM
TimB09 TimB09 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I was talking with my father about civic issues a while ago while I was visiting the folks in BC, He is a retired attorney and recalled that the city of Edmonton has had a bit of a storied history of corruption, and that Edmonton had a "wild west" mentality when it came to regulations and such. Based on my experiences with the city I can believe it.
Well, one of our mayors was a bit corrupt. Never knew this until talking to my Dad about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hawrelak
     
     
  #9098  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 8:24 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
^ Interesting. I didn't know that Vince Dantzer took over as mayor when Hawrelak was expelled due to what sounds like some shady development deals (Some things never change it seems ) Vince was the founder of my dad's law firm in Vernon, my dad was one of the original partners in the firm. He was also a close family friend. I guess that's where dad probably got some of his information from. I'll have to ask more about it when I see him in a few days
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain

Last edited by 240glt; Dec 22, 2017 at 8:36 PM.
     
     
  #9099  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 10:00 PM
kcantor kcantor is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ Interesting. I didn't know that Vince Dantzer took over as mayor when Hawrelak was expelled due to what sounds like some shady development deals (Some things never change it seems ) Vince was the founder of my dad's law firm in Vernon, my dad was one of the original partners in the firm. He was also a close family friend. I guess that's where dad probably got some of his information from. I'll have to ask more about it when I see him in a few days
you should also ask him if he remembers what the bridge that was never built on/to dantzer’s folly would have cost per lane compared to what was spent per lane to replace walterdale...
__________________
"If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee
     
     
  #9100  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 10:09 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Well, one of our mayors was a bit corrupt. Never knew this until talking to my Dad about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hawrelak
And still was able to get a park named after him.

I don't think it's Hawrelak-related, but I seem to recall the siting of YEG being driven by corruption.

Sorry! Off-topic. Let's just hope the Province doesn't empty downtown Edmonton.
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:49 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.