HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
Oh btw anyone been by Oceanwide lately? I bet the hole is getting hella deep by now.
You can keep tabs on the site yourself via the construction cam: https://app.oxblue.com/open/malcolmdrilling/oceanwide

They are not yet actually digging the foundation. They are pouring the caisons (pilings) which process will likely take at least a year. This requires drilling out a hole to bedrock, putting in place a rebar cage and filing the hole with concrete--and they are probably doing several hundreds of these.

I'm guessing they start digging the hole in the Spring.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 2:15 AM

^ Thanks for the info and link bro!!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 1:58 AM

New 35 story tower proposed for Mid-Market:

Quote:
Build, Vanke aim for 35-story residential tower on Mid-Market parking lot in San Francisco

Developer Build is working on a 35-story residential tower on a site that is now a surface parking lot in San Francisco owned by luxury retailer Nordstrom.

The developer submitted a proposal for a highrise designed by Solomon Cordwell Buenz that envisions 454 homes ranging from studios to three-bedrooms at 469 Stevenson St. between 5th and 6th streets.

“We believe there’s a chronic shortage of housing in the city and our business is building that housing,” said Lou Vasquez, head of Build.

Build negotiated an option for the property with Nordstrom, which put the site on the market last year, and signed on Chinese developer Vanke's U.S. division as the equity partner.

The project, which could cost between $200 million and $300 million to build, will be the first partnership for Build and Vanke, which has financed other projects in San Francisco such as Tishman Speyer’s Lumina condo project.

The 29,000-square-foot site, which Nordstrom has long-used for employee parking, is zoned for 336 units, but could go up to 454 using the state’s density bonus by including affordable housing. The total number of affordable units will depend on the income-level of the residents.
Source

SocketSite has a blurb about it as well.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 2:11 AM

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 7:41 PM

It's official now:

Quote:
502-Unit Phase 4 of Trinity Place in San Francisco Breaks Ground

Trinity Properties, founded by Angelo and Yvonne Sangiacomo in the early 1960s, has started construction on the fourth phase of the Trinity Place apartment complex in San Francisco. The newest phase of the complex is located at 1177 Market Street.

The property owner sees tremendous value in Trinity Plaza’s irreplaceable location. “It spans an entire side of 8th Street between Market and Mission, in the heart of San Francisco’s burgeoning Mid-Market district. It’s home to tech innovators including Twitter, Square and Uber. It is located within steps to BART and MUNI Civic Center stations, just one black from the EA and Google shuttle stops and is close to the 101 and 280 Freeway entrances. It’s across the street from the Orpheum Theater and close to the Westfield Shopping Center and Union Square. The phenomenal location and high-quality units and amenities allow residents working in San Francisco or elsewhere in the Bay Area the ability to enjoy all that San Francisco has to offer,” said James Goody, chief financial officer for Trinity Properties.

The initial work on Phase 4 was recently started. The expectation is that the new apartment complex will be open by June of 2021. There will be a total of 502 units in the complex with a mix of 1, 2 and 3-bedroom units developed over 17 stories. It will also have a three-story underground parking garage with 275 spaces and over 60,000 square feet of retail space.
Source: http://news.theregistrysf.com/502-un...breaks-ground/

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Luxury in No Man’s Land
Developers in competitive city markets are building in marginal neighborhoods and pitching their projects as the next big thing.
By Katy McLaughlin
Dec. 7, 2017 9:52 a.m. ET

One Oak, a 39-story condominium building proposed for San Francisco’s mid-Market Street neighborhood, plans to offer over 300 luxury condos in 2020. A 1,500-square-foot two bedroom within walking distance of the San Francisco Opera and Davies Symphony Hall will likely list for over $2.5 million.

For now, though, said developer Loring Sagan, the place “truly stinks.” The co-founder of San Francisco-based developer Build means this literally: “People defecate and urinate on our building site every day,” he said. One positive development: A nearby liquor store that sold vodka-by-the-shot recently closed, he noted.

Mr. Sagan’s goal—to help turn San Francisco’s mid-Market neighborhood, long characterized by a large homeless population, public drug consumption and dirty streets into a destination for upscale condo living—might seem quixotic. But developers in competitive urban real-estate markets in Los Angeles, Boston and New York are doing the same, building in seedy neighborhoods and industrial sites and pitching their projects as the next big thing in luxury living . . . .

Downtown developers will likely attract young people and empty nesters in addition to foreign buyers, Mr. Leipart said. Such buyers are often less sensitive to issues such as schools and playgrounds . . . .

For developers, one sign that an area will be appealing to condo buyers is when high-profile employers move in. For Mr. Sagan in San Francisco, when Twitter, Dolby and Uber set up offices in mid-Market “those were indications” that the area was ripe for condo development . . . .

When Tanya Fruehe, a 30-year-old executive assistant, moved with husband Zachary Wesley, a 32-year-old banker, from Orange County to San Francisco, mid-Market was “frightening,” she said.

Five years later, the couple rents a roughly $3,000-a-month one bedroom in Trinity Place, a rental development that will consist of 1,900 rental units when it is completed in 2020, said Walter Schmidt, executive managing director of developer Trinity Properties. Three rental buildings—a fourth is under construction—surround a 1-acre public plaza. Ms. Fruehe said the plaza, plus 24-hour security and more occupants in the area, make her feel safe . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the...own-1512658346

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Developers Tell Condo Buyers: You Don’t Need To Bring Your Car
By Alina Dizik
Dec. 7, 2017 10:12 a.m. ET

At Lumina, a 42-story condo building in San Francisco, homeowners pay anywhere from $900,000 to $15 million for a luxury residence with a one-car limit per unit. Alternatively, homeowners can ditch the car, get a credit of $10,000 and rent one of the building’s eight luxury cars when the need arises.

The developer, Tishman Speyer, partnered with Audi on a pilot program called Audi at Home, in which residents can use an app to rent one of the building’s eight luxury vehicles parked near the valet area. Rates run from $12 to $22 per hour, and the fleet gets about 100 rentals per month . . .

Luxury developers are increasingly offering car-rental and car-sharing services, as well as creative parking solutions to their residents. Touted as an amenity to upscale buyers, these services benefit developers, too, since they reduce the size of parking garages and lower building costs.

“For developers, it’s a drain on economics” to build parking garages, says Todd Runkle, an Austin-based principal at global design firm Gensler, which specializes in commercial development. “We are in a transitory period to see how much we can reduce parking.”

Gensler is also designing some parking structures with level floor slabs that can more easily to convert to office space or residential living spaces once parking ramps are removed, he adds . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/develop...car-1512659525

My now decades old condo building has 3 or 4 Zipcars in its parking garage and I use them when I need a car. There are also other Zipcars in nearby buildings.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 12:52 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
A nice hazy morning. Very surreal.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 7:24 AM
heavy user of walkability

in Dogpatch...

the southern section of the southern Indiana project has been mostly uncovered

SE corner of 20th and Tennessee

815 Tennessee

across 19th St from the previous development

a block to the east, at 19th and Third, nothing going on yet after demolition some weeks ago

the little one on Mariposa and Tennessee

nearby, the east slope of Potrero Hill

south slope of Potrero Hill, Rebuild Potrero

elsewhere, the office building on Brannan near Fourth, turning out better than I had expected

hotel, Third and Townsend

office building, Sixth and Townsend, also looking good

starting to think 100 Hooper is not going to be too attractive

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
in Dogpatch...

the southern section of the southern Indiana project has been mostly uncovered

starting to think 100 Hooper is not going to be too attractive

these are way too horizontal. so much for fine-grained urbanism. btw, wb

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
these are way too horizontal. so much for fine-grained urbanism. btw, wb
Heck, IMHO everything south of ATT Park looks like it belongs in Pleasanton but it is what it is: A massive lost opportunity for an amazing amount of badly needed housing and architecturally interesting commercial space.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 9:45 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Heck, IMHO everything south of ATT Park looks like it belongs in Pleasanton but it is what it is: A massive lost opportunity for an amazing amount of badly needed housing and architecturally interesting commercial space.
Let’s not forget the truly world class medical center and hospital though and be thankful that UCSF decided to locate their second major campus here instead of in the East Bay.

Everyone also seems to forget that without basements, mechanical systems were located on first floors, a point discussed now long ago. That’s not to say I’m happy with many horizontal boxes, but all in all, Mission Bay contributed mightily to the City.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 7:37 AM

crane going up at former Flax site on Market at Valencia

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 10:43 AM

LGBT Houseing at 75-95 Laguna Street

Work has begun on a new building at 75-95 Laguna St. (at Hermann) that will create 78 units of affordable housing, with low-income LGBT seniors in mind.

The building, called The Openhouse Community, will rise next to 55 Laguna
I am so glad that the old school buildings have been remodeled & incorporated in this full block development. I'm always happy to see nice old architecture retained.

This photo I took a couple of days ago.
75-95 Laguna Street, San Francisco by Apollo's Light, on Flickr

This photo is from the Openhouse web site.
Openhouse-95 laguna by Apollo's Light, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
Work has begun on a new building at 75-95 Laguna St. (at Hermann) that will create 78 units of affordable housing, with low-income LGBT seniors in mind.

The building, called The Openhouse Community, will rise next to 55 Laguna
I am so glad that the old school buildings have been remodeled & incorporated in this full block development. I'm always happy to see nice old architecture retained.
I keep asking myself: "Self, as a senior living in San Francisco, a town where gay people are far from isolated and have no need to hide, would you want to live in what amounts to a gay ghetto?"

Why do we need these projects for subsets of the senior population? Why can't senior housing be for all seniors (there is an argument to be made that poor seniors don't fare well in mixed public housing and are sometimes preyed on by younger residents so housing just for seniors probably is needed)?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 7:08 PM

Quote:
I keep asking myself: "Self, as a senior living in San Francisco, a town where gay people are far from isolated and have no need to hide, would you want to live in what amounts to a gay ghetto?"
My answer would be, "Yes I do."

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 8:36 PM

a couple random ones I forgot

the little one on Franklin near Market

and 1601 Mariposa on the north slope of Potrero Hill looks like it has finally moved to construction

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 8:57 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
My answer would be, "Yes I do."
Mine too!

There has been much written about the plight of single, older LGBT people in the City since many are without adequate support systems now.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Mine too!

There has been much written about the plight of single, older LGBT people in the City since many are without adequate support systems now.
Well, I fit all those criteria and my answer is "no". Facilities with "services" for older people including a contingent of gays reflective of the SF demographic is fine. But I've never wanted--and can't see myself ever wanting--to associate exclusively with gay people or live in a building full of nothing but . . . .

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 6:10 PM

Quote:

Why do we need these projects for subsets of the senior population? Why can't senior housing be for all seniors (there is an argument to be made that poor seniors don't fare well in mixed public housing and are sometimes preyed on by younger residents so housing just for seniors probably is needed)?

My 20-something nephew, who lives in the City, recently told me about a 70+ old homophobic man he does work for. Sadly, even in San Francisco those old prejudices remain. So to answer your question. There apparently is still a need for LGBT senior housing, especially since they are sharing community with others of similar socio-economic status and societal conditioning. Bully for you if you haven't been on the receiving end of discrimination or aren't at the mercy of those who would treat you different. Of course, our personal experience doesn't mimic others.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations