It'll be interesting to see how this building is sold. My apologies if this isn't in the right thread -- this is only my second post here.
I was recently at the Pacific (Grosvenor) presale presentation centre -- they wouldn't provide pricing on the larger units, but in order for you to be "offered the amazing opportunity to purchase" you must complete what they called a "Home Request" form, in which you must disclose what you are willing to pay for a particular unit. The sales rep offered some BS to the likes of "it's in order to ensure we match homeowners with the right home for them" and has nothing to do with our pricing. Ummm, yeah, right.
Apparently, this is how most developers are now conducting presales. I was appalled. I couldn't imaging buying anything else, let alone a home in this way. Imagine going to buy a pair of shoes and the salesperson says "okay, everyone here interested in this pair of shoes, tell me what you're willing to pay for them, and I'll get back to you on a price".
I contacted the Greater Vancouver Real Estate Board, who referred me to the RE Council, who then referred me to the Superintendent of RE, and the Minister of Housing. Basically everyone I spoke with had no idea of this new practice, but said it was probably within the realm of legality b/c there is basically little to no legislation in this area. Developers can sell how and to whomever they like.