HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #16241  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 7:32 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
no actually some stakeholders (i.e. developers not working in CC and residents outside of the CC zone) were happier with the changes. You seem to be an expert on all that has happened so you should know that it's been reported numerous times that there have been meetings going on for weeks with the various groups trying to make changes/improvements to the bill. That isn't to say they will ALL be happy at the end of the day- such a goal is absurd. If no one is totally satisfied that is probably a good sign that it splits the difference. If the votes aren't there it won't pass- very simple. So if all you are saying is true it has no shot of becoming law and you can relax.
I'm very relaxed. But you are in typical form.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16242  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 7:32 PM
SEFTA's Avatar
SEFTA SEFTA is offline
Philly Pholly
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,289
Congratulations Mcgrath!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16243  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 8:47 PM
1487 1487 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I'm very relaxed. But you are in typical form.
well informed? Yes I am. I usually don't post unless I have actually read up on the topic of discussion. MQS isn't a dictator so unless she can make enough people happy to get the votes there is no new law. Reading your posts one would think she has Putin like capabilities within City Hall to run people over and pass onerous laws without resistance.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16244  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 8:51 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
It's not like they could pass a Soda Tax or anything....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16245  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 9:26 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
Opinions are like —-holes. Lots of them out there. Here's a story from Dallas Business Journal (like our Philly Business Journal) that snubs Philly. Not even mentioned in there as part of the shortlist. SMH.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/...-hq2-shortlist.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16246  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 9:33 PM
SEFTA's Avatar
SEFTA SEFTA is offline
Philly Pholly
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,289
delete
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16247  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 10:18 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
well informed? Yes I am. I usually don't post unless I have actually read up on the topic of discussion. MQS isn't a dictator so unless she can make enough people happy to get the votes there is no new law. Reading your posts one would think she has Putin like capabilities within City Hall to run people over and pass onerous laws without resistance.
Ugh, why do pick a fight about every dumb thing? I really think you have a personality disorder. I didn't say she would be successful or has magical dictator-esque powers. I said she is trying to push this through too quickly without adequate time for reflection or considered input from relevant constituencies. I actually don't think she will be successful. We will see. I happen to know a bit about the matter and have spoken with her directly as to the bill...

MOVING ON...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16248  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 11:34 PM
skyscraper skyscraper is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I realize that this may not be entirely on topic, but I got accepted into Temple's architecture program today!
Now only if Drexel could get back to me I'd make a decision
Congratulations! I am a Drexel Architecture program grad myself. Wait for them to get back to you before making a decision. Drexel has the better program. It's an extra year, but the work experience you get is really worth it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16249  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 12:13 AM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Clark Park, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
Congratulations! I am a Drexel Architecture program grad myself. Wait for them to get back to you before making a decision. Drexel has the better program. It's an extra year, but the work experience you get is really worth it.
Oh Drexel is my clear favorite. I love their campus and program.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16250  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:08 AM
PhilliesPhan's Avatar
PhilliesPhan PhilliesPhan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I realize that this may not be entirely on topic, but I got accepted into Temple's architecture program today!
Now only if Drexel could get back to me I'd make a decision
Congrats! I’ll hold my Temple bias back to say that you picked two fine schools to apply to. Looking at all the — going up nowadays, we need some better architects for the future.

P.S. If you do choose Temple, make sure to enjoy the new library and new buildings on campus for me since I’m graduating in May!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16251  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:42 AM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Oh Drexel is my clear favorite. I love their campus and program.
I knew someone that went to the Temple Architecture program. And, then to PennDesign for a Masters. One thing to note is that the Temple program has an internship in China and Japan, if I'm not mistaken. Anyways, congrats!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16252  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:47 AM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Congrats! I’ll hold my Temple bias back to say that you picked two fine schools to apply to. Looking at all the — going up nowadays, we need some better architects for the future.

P.S. If you do choose Temple, make sure to enjoy the new library and new buildings on campus for me since I’m graduating in May!
I'm a believer that you develop your skill set in school, but come into your own talents based on your training and experience. And, I agree with you that we need better designs from architects but sometimes what they design is to meet a clients need and not exactly to show off their design and visionary abilities.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16253  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:48 AM
Trich Trich is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 76
As a Temple Architecture alum - I say CONGRATS! I also applied to Drexel and PU (now Thomas Jefferson). When I applied to Drexel the campus was voted ugliest in the nation. It really has come a long way...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16254  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 2:44 AM
skyscraper skyscraper is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trich View Post
As a Temple Architecture alum - I say CONGRATS! I also applied to Drexel and PU (now Thomas Jefferson). When I applied to Drexel the campus was voted ugliest in the nation. It really has come a long way...
you exaggerate. it was only the *second* ugliest in the country. MIT was the ugliest. great engineering schools....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16255  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 7:57 AM
Daario Daario is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I realize that this may not be entirely on topic, but I got accepted into Temple's architecture program today!
Now only if Drexel could get back to me I'd make a decision
Congratulations! Tyler is quite hard to get into, and Drexel even more so. I'm currently halfway through my first year of architecture school at Jefferson (what used to be PhilaU.) It is a small campus, but the program here is incredible and everyone is great here. I will warn you to be prepared to work your — off wherever you go. The jump from high school to arch school is insane. My interests in architecture and urban planning are large in part due to this forum.

On a different note, I have heard rumors about Temple's arch program being de-accredited, however I have found nothing to back this up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16256  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 11:34 AM
Trich Trich is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
you exaggerate. it was only the *second* ugliest in the country. MIT was the ugliest. great engineering schools....
I present evidence A: http://temple-news.com/news/drexel-tops-unsightly-campus-list/

The list was completed by Princeton Review.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16257  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:21 PM
Parkway's Avatar
Parkway Parkway is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
you exaggerate. it was only the *second* ugliest in the country. MIT was the ugliest. great engineering schools....
If engineers had a good sense of design we wouldn't need architects...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16258  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 5:07 PM
Skintreesnail Skintreesnail is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I realize that this may not be entirely on topic, but I got accepted into Temple's architecture program today!
Now only if Drexel could get back to me I'd make a decision
Congrats! I only know this 2nd-hand, but the Drexel program definitely is tough. Not sure if they still have the 2+4 program, but you basically work full time the last 4 years and attend class at night. The first two years are basically a meat grinder to prepare you for the last 4. Seems to get you ready for the real world though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16259  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 5:50 PM
Groundhog's Avatar
Groundhog Groundhog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 533
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia...S2NlIgeA09aa0547&t=1512063967&j=79261871

Thanks a lot Bensalem. Looks like we need to wait to see who's in the running. At the very least, I think this means they're actually looking through the proposals instead of going with a pre-selected list like some people have suspected.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16260  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 6:12 PM
Nova08 Nova08 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia...S2NlIgeA09aa0547&t=1512063967&j=79261871

Thanks a lot Bensalem. Looks like we need to wait to see who's in the running. At the very least, I think this means they're actually looking through the proposals instead of going with a pre-selected list like some people have suspected.
Keep in mind that this was just a comment from someone in Charlotte that was then picked up by multiple media outlet's to author articles like this. Nothing new and we have no idea why they presumed to receive word by tomorrow. I do not remember reading anything directly from Amazon that they plan to release a short list 6 weeks after the bids came in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:25 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.