HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1781  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 5:05 AM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,730
Sad to see Steamrollers go. I used to go there all the time in Yaletown for lunch.

Tractor is good, but the menu is so limited it's easy to get tired of it. Railtown has better quality at slightly higher prices IMO. And of course better selection.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1782  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 7:10 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The former Ingledew's space on Granville has been leased to a restaurant:


New restaurant http://www.zaatarwzeit.net to open at 531 Granville. Prime downtown spot just steps from Holt Renfrew #lebanese
https://twitter.com/GranvilleStreet
it\s the first location in Canada and seems to be the first outside of the middle east for the lebanon based chain according to retail insider, they have 70 locations

Quote:
Currently, the company is present in Lebanon (where its head office is located and the company was founded in 1999) as well as Jordan, Kuwait, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia, with a total of more than 70 outlets -- which is constantly expanding.
https://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2017/10/zaatar-w-zeit
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1783  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 10:30 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,802
One thing I've noticed about Tractor (Telus Garden), is that the modern cafeteria style décor makes the place look really empty when there aren't many customers.

**************

PS - wrt Middle Eastern food, that Paramount restaurant has been open on Robson (H-Mart building) for a while now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1784  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 5:27 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,127
I noticed that there is a "Happy Lemon" on robson street. they originated in china and are quite popular across asia, they have a couple stores in the states. Their website shows no Canadian locations but i think there are 3 in the vancouver area now.

Also I never there was an Original Joes down by the stadium just off robson, they are pretty decent usually.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1785  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 12:06 AM
jollyburger jollyburger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15,809
Captain's Boil opening in lower Lonsdale at 1st Avenue under the old Opus.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1786  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 5:11 AM
Feathered Friend Feathered Friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,555
Chipotle - Almost there



The sign gave me a chuckle.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1787  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 6:40 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,127
CaliBurger is opening at Guildford and at SFU.

I completely forgot we had one here and haven't tried it out yet.

https://caliburger.com/guildford

https://caliburger.com/SFU





CAN CALIBURGER REALLY TAKE ON IN-N-OUT?
https://www.thrillist.com/eat/seattle/can-caliburger-really-take-on-in-n-out
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1788  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 7:21 AM
mcminsen's Avatar
mcminsen mcminsen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
it\s the first location in Canada and seems to be the first outside of the middle east for the lebanon based chain according to retail insider, they have 70 locations



https://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2017/10/zaatar-w-zeit

Zaatar w Zeit


^^ I wonder how you say the name.

I don't know what it is but it sure looks good...



source: https://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2017/10/zaatar-w-zeit
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1789  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 5:09 PM
NewfBC NewfBC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
CaliBurger is opening at Guildford and at SFU.

I completely forgot we had one here and haven't tried it out yet.

https://caliburger.com/guildford

https://caliburger.com/SFU





CAN CALIBURGER REALLY TAKE ON IN-N-OUT?
https://www.thrillist.com/eat/seattle/can-caliburger-really-take-on-in-n-out
Caliburger is gross.. I've been to Thurlow a total of 3 times and not once was I happy with the meal. Burgers are $2 on Tuesday, last time I had that and I felt ripped off.

So many other good options in the city.

Ron.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1790  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 10:20 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,127
I read they recenty opened a location in California with a few more planned. The article from Seattle seems to think they are better than inn n out. I never liked inn n out when i tried it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1791  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 11:16 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I never liked inn n out when i tried it.
I thought I was the only one. I do not understand the appeal.

Animal Style? You mean drenched in Thousand Island dressing?

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1792  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 2:03 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,802
Ditto re: In & Out
The only thing is that it's cheap.
Their fries are soggy, too.

Even Five Guys' burgers have no visual appeal - the bun is always crushed with the crust ripped in places.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1793  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 2:10 AM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,429
Five Guys’ meat tastes better than Cali though, and their fries are good.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1794  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 8:46 AM
mcminsen's Avatar
mcminsen mcminsen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 9,980
Jimmy's Taphouse at the Westin Grand in downtown Vancouver is no more. I saw them emptying out the place today. All the fixtures, furniture, kitchen equipment, dishes and glassware out the door. Apparently Jimmy's liquor store is going to make a major expansion and will take over the restaurant space.

I live just kitty corner from the place but I wasn't a regular patron. I will however miss the ambience that the patio space brought to that corner of Homer and Robson. I walked by often and always enjoyed seeing the tables outside full of people drinking and eating, not only on beautiful summer days but through a lot of the spring and fall. That corner might become kind of dead now which is a shame as it's right across from the library and plaza. It was a great place to sit and people watch and look at the library. With all the extra traffic the liquor store will get it will probably become even more of a prime area to panhandle or just camp out on the sidewalk.



Nov.5 '17, my pic
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1795  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 2:26 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Jimmy's Taphouse at the Westin Grand in downtown Vancouver is no more. I saw them emptying out the place today. All the fixtures, furniture, kitchen equipment, dishes and glassware out the door. Apparently Jimmy's liquor store is going to make a major expansion and will take over the restaurant space.

I live just kitty corner from the place but I wasn't a regular patron. I will however miss the ambience that the patio space brought to that corner of Homer and Robson. I walked by often and always enjoyed seeing the tables outside full of people drinking and eating, not only on beautiful summer days but through a lot of the spring and fall. That corner might become kind of dead now which is a shame as it's right across from the library and plaza. It was a great place to sit and people watch and look at the library. With all the extra traffic the liquor store will get it will probably become even more of a prime area to panhandle or just camp out on the sidewalk.
Interesting, that place seemed like a license to print money. Maybe the hotel got noise complaints?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1796  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 4:04 PM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,430
That's too bad. One of the very few patios with speakers that played music.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1797  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 11:12 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,802
With any luck, though I doubt it, the decision by Trilogy/Cressey(?) to sell the Homer fronting retail space instead of providing a main ground floor lobby space for the Westin Hotel can be fixed if some of the Jimmy's space is taken up by the hotel for a corridor, lounge or café.
But the Westin just renovated the entrance off Robson, so I doubt it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1798  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 10:17 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,802
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1799  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 11:41 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,127
oh just heard that gyoza king on robson street has shut down.

they were always good and busy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1800  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 1:05 AM
jollyburger jollyburger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15,809
Q Shi Q Japanese BBQ in Olympic Village is closed too. On sale for $600K
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:26 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.