Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5
The links you provided show only rental rates, but not any of the other categories you mentioned. This site does though...
|
Numeo is always suspect, however since you provided it ...
Quote:
|
Rent Prices in Calgary are 12.16% lower than in New Westminster
|
And remember, you originally said:
Quote:
|
The cost of living in New West is actually a bit lower than in Calgary (that's including rent), ...
|
The link that you therefore provided shows that you are wrong.
As for the other things I listed:
Quote:
|
And then there's food (same or cheaper in Calgary),
|
When I go through the
Superstore flyer, I see the same deals and prices in Calgary and New West. Yes you can find cheaper deals in both places, but overall, food prices are similar (in my experience for some reason peanut butter and pop are noticeably cheaper in Calgary whereas bread is cheaper here)
According to gasbuddy its 137 in New West and 101 in Calgary
According to Arc, in 2014 it was 15% cheaper in Alberta than BC. As for myself, my insurance (same vehicle. same driving record, same coverage) went from $900 to $2100 when I moved from Calgary to Vancouver
Check out all the national stores - same prices in Calgary and New Westminster - plus those in Calgary are not subject to 7% PST
Quote:
|
buying a house (much cheaper),
|
According to
Zolo
New West: 3 bdr sdh - $1.3M
Calgary: 3 bdr sdh - $470K
Obviously.
Quote:
|
monthly transit passes (2/3's cheaper)
|
Translink - 2 zone (need to get DT) - $126
Calgary Transit full network - $101
What about municipal taxes?
According to the
City of New West, if you own house valued at $1m (so less than average), you pay roughly $4800 a year in taxes. On the property I own in Calgary, I'm paying roughly $3300 a year on an inner city house with a market price of $800K.
I really like New West and have a number of friends living there. If I decide to stay in the lower mainland I may consider buying there. But under no circumstances should anyone think is cheaper, let alone comparable to the cost of living as Calgary.