HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #281  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 3:14 PM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,728
Only 5-10% of burned down buildings in desirable neighbourhoods that have had their land value appreciate astronomically are caused by squatters and teen partiers. Of course, that is an estimate. We don't have good data.

Honestly, moving away from Vancouver has made a surprisingly large impact on my happiness. Not thinking about real estate 24/7 is liberating.
__________________
VANCOUVER | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #282  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 5:13 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
..Honestly, moving away from Vancouver has made a surprisingly large impact on my happiness. Not thinking about real estate 24/7 is liberating.
Keeping a roof over one's head tends to focus one that way. Especially bad for renters in Vancouver.

I was visiting a friend in Downtown South the other day, he's been there for quite a few years. As with most buildings there, you get great views into everyone else's lives. What struck me was how the solariums, those weird little loophole rooms developers put in for extra square footage. They had gone from being home offices and TV nooks a few year ago and now almost all contained a bed. Is this progress?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #283  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 11:30 PM
GenWhy? GenWhy? is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
^^^ Restricting parking will just offload the costs of parking onto the city to developers' benefit

ron,
How exactly? Parkades cost millions. We raise rents on buildings to cover the costs of these million-per-level parkades. Even with parking reductions uder programs like the Rental 100 policy, it's still almost a 1 for 1 unit to stall ratio. Most sites for Rental 100 are also mixed-use by zone and area. Leaving most market rental or even reduced-rate rental buildings at 4-6 stories with at least 2 levels of underground parking. At least $1 million per level. If the City had better policy and zoning rules, we could reduce buildings costs dramatically and lower rents on new builds. I'm talking car share, justifying proximity to transit, and making better communities with less car reliance. We build buildings where the City dictates we need X number of underground parking stalls for a rental building and many go unused.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #284  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 11:34 PM
GenWhy? GenWhy? is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
How does making it much harder for people to drive make anything more affordable? Developers really pass those savings on?
Yes we would pass those savings on to renters. Underground parking costs millions. Seattle has some great urban parking policy on new rental buildings that Vancouver should work towards.

We're forced to build expensive parkades and that increases our price per square foot for construction, and then add in land costs. We raise rents as high as we can justify (economically speaking) to pay for these million dollar parkades which we know we don't need. We're doing projects on East Hastings and even under the Rental 100 program we have to build a P-2 level.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #285  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 10:34 PM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Only 5-10% of burned down buildings in desirable neighbourhoods that have had their land value appreciate astronomically are caused by squatters and teen partiers. Of course, that is an estimate. We don't have good data.

Honestly, moving away from Vancouver has made a surprisingly large impact on my happiness. Not thinking about real estate 24/7 is liberating.
For me, thinking about easy access to the sea, beach and wooded lands and mountains from an urban landscape is liberating.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #286  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 10:56 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
How exactly? Parkades cost millions. We raise rents on buildings to cover the costs of these million-per-level parkades. Even with parking reductions uder programs like the Rental 100 policy, it's still almost a 1 for 1 unit to stall ratio. Most sites for Rental 100 are also mixed-use by zone and area. Leaving most market rental or even reduced-rate rental buildings at 4-6 stories with at least 2 levels of underground parking. At least $1 million per level. If the City had better policy and zoning rules, we could reduce buildings costs dramatically and lower rents on new builds. I'm talking car share, justifying proximity to transit, and making better communities with less car reliance. We build buildings where the City dictates we need X number of underground parking stalls for a rental building and many go unused.
How? Because it pushes the parking problem onto the city streets.

Why not eliminate balconies to save on unit construction costs while you're at it?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #287  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 11:13 PM
GenWhy? GenWhy? is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
How? Because it pushes the parking problem onto the city streets.

Why not eliminate balconies to save on unit construction costs while you're at it?
In fact, we do not need to include balconies when building social housing. Cost savings being a major factor. Balconies are a must for livability, rentability, marketing, and to remain competitive in the future as a rental building.

That is true we would be offloading parking for tenants who choose and can afford to own a car, while they pursue to rent from a building they very well know contains no parking, or very little, with simply car share in-building. Well regulated and metered, and community parking permit policies/systems can be used to regulate public on-street parking. For 100% rental buildings 6-storeys and under, heavy parking relaxations along arterials should be a City policy.

Through policy, the City is mandating we build a parking over-supply on sites even around 11,000sf which drives construction costs and rents up, and continues a promotion of car use. I'm not saying every building, but a new policy needs to reflect the current rents, land costs, and building a Green city that's less car dependant. This coming from a non-driver and renter.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #288  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 11:21 PM
GenWhy? GenWhy? is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4,857
An example is a mixed-use building on Hastings Street with 48 market rental units and 40 parking stalls with 2 levels of underground parking in a C-2 zoned site. $16 million roughly to build with underground parking alone is $2.5 million.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #289  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 7:17 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Well worth a read and from a former editor of Vancouver magazine to boot!

I Left Vancouver Because Vancouver Left Me

A personal essay on loving, and leaving, a city after being defeated by its affordability crisis.


...My own collapse came when my partner declared that, although he did not wish to end our relationship, he couldn’t stay in Vancouver. I couldn’t fault him for a single reason he gave. We had finally landed in a 600 square foot coach house behind a mansion in Shaughnessy. It had a fancy address but the place itself was falling apart. The windows, which had been painted shut when we moved in, were now wedged open and wouldn’t close; the dishwasher (a major luxury we were excited to have) had broken and become a mildew factory, the door would only close when locked and would only lock if I heaved on it with my entire body weight. The heater in the bedroom buzzed so loud that I had to wear earplugs while I slept and we didn’t have a smoke detector. There was no storage, no place to put a kitchen table and nowhere else for us to go. For this, we paid $1,700 a month to a woman worth millions who clearly didn’t need the rent. It was obvious we were paying her to be onsite security for the winter months she spent in California.

The neighbourhood itself was like living on an abandoned film set. Aside from our landlord, we only ever saw construction workers, landscapers, and on occasion, the squatters who lived in the empty mansion across the street — just a line on someone’s investment sheet somewhere...


https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2017/10/30/I-Left-Vancouver/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #290  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 8:16 PM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant - The New Downtown South
Posts: 8,181
People that have no common sense should live somewhere else. 1700 will get you a decent place within the cov. But no they habe to live in the most expensive neighbourhood in the city. Have fun in Regina.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #291  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 8:35 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,163
When are you leaving whatsnext?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #292  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 10:29 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
When are you leaving whatsnext?
I bought my house at the right time, did you? Are you even in Vancouver?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #293  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 11:01 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,163
Sooo... you're not leaving?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #294  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 11:18 PM
Pinion Pinion is offline
See ya down under, mates
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,167
I actually am leaving and I'm extremely bitter about it, so I don't think it's nice to give people 🞵🞵🞵🞵 for staying in their home town and also being very unhappy with the direction of the city. When the bubble implodes it's going to affect everyone.

Anyway, came to post that the only 24/7 Subway near me is now closing at 11pm due to staff shortages, according to a sign. Seems like every restaurant in Lower Lonsdale has staffing problems and is shutting down when they don't want to.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #295  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 11:29 PM
csbvan's Avatar
csbvan csbvan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,341
I made the move to Montreal, for various reasons, but I just as easily could have stayed in Vancouver. I'm happy I did, it opened up opportunities for me and my partner and has provided a good contrast between the type of community and culture that can be fostered when a city isn't relentlessly, and embarrassingly, expensive. I don't expect to stay here forever, but there is no doubt that Vancouver is lacking in many areas and there is no doubt that housing costs are exacerbating that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #296  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 11:43 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,163
Pinion there is no doubt Vancouver is in the midst of an affordability crisis, largely not of its own doing, but it's there. I don't blame anyone for leaving, I personally have lived in a few places around the world and would encourage it to anyone as it greatly broadens your horizons and gives a tremendous amount of perspective. My only regret is that I didn't live in more places before I came home. What I do blame people for is the winging and moaning without doing jack all about it. Barrages of articles complaining about the housing price, but no one supporting groups like Abundant Housing or getting in front of their local council to push for more rental stock etc... Instead it's F Crusty Clark its all her fault, or let's stop immigration and see what happens. I don't own in this city and as a younger person myself it's quite daunting, but I fight for what I perceive as a solution, rather than just bitching from my keyboard. I'm at every development open house I can be advocating for more units and more family friendly units, I've written council numerous times to voice my support for increased density across the board. If more people had taken a proactive approach rather than ranting from their keyboard to no one then maybe this situation wouldn't be so bad. But I guess moving to Calgary is easier.

And further to be completely honest the "Vancouver isn't what I used to know" nonsense is just so provincial and insular. Not only are cities constantly changing entities, so the entire notion is absurd, but even more so Vancouver is still very much Vancouver. Ya there are more supercars and luxury shops, but you can still find funky shops on main, yoga everywhere and a laid-back vibe that if you visit anywhere outside of the PNW becomes quite obvious. I still love it here, even if Vancouver is having some serious growing pains. If you don't that's too bad, and I truly hope you find somewhere that you do love, but be warned it will probably change as the years progress as well.

And the person in the article complaining that Shaughnessy feels hollow? Gimme a break, that neighbourhood has never had an ounce of character. What a joke. Good riddance to a completely out of touch person.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #297  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 12:09 AM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Pinion there is no doubt Vancouver is in the midst of an affordability crisis, largely not of its own doing, but it's there. I don't blame anyone for leaving, I personally have lived in a few places around the world and would encourage it to anyone as it greatly broadens your horizons and gives a tremendous amount of perspective. My only regret is that I didn't live in more places before I came home. What I do blame people for is the winging and moaning without doing jack all about it. Barrages of articles complaining about the housing price, but no one supporting groups like Abundant Housing or getting in front of their local council to push for more rental stock etc... Instead it's F Crusty Clark its all her fault, or let's stop immigration and see what happens. I don't own in this city and as a younger person myself it's quite daunting, but I fight for what I perceive as a solution, rather than just bitching from my keyboard. I'm at every development open house I can be advocating for more units and more family friendly units, I've written council numerous times to voice my support for increased density across the board. If more people had taken a proactive approach rather than ranting from their keyboard to no one then maybe this situation wouldn't be so bad. But I guess moving to Calgary is easier.

And further to be completely honest the "Vancouver isn't what I used to know" nonsense is just so provincial and insular. Not only are cities constantly changing entities, so the entire notion is absurd, but even more so Vancouver is still very much Vancouver. Ya there are more supercars and luxury shops, but you can still find funky shops on main, yoga everywhere and a laid-back vibe that if you visit anywhere outside of the PNW becomes quite obvious. I still love it here, even if Vancouver is having some serious growing pains. If you don't that's too bad, and I truly hope you find somewhere that you do love, but be warned it will probably change as the years progress as well.

And the person in the article complaining that Shaughnessy feels hollow? Gimme a break, that neighbourhood has never had an ounce of character. What a joke. Good riddance to a completely out of touch person.
Did you even read the whole article? If you did you'd have noted she backed up several of your points. For example:

"...My year away had opened my eyes to the fact that other cities also offered the uber-modern urban experience that Vancouver — ever narcissistic in its examinations — likes to think it has a lock on. Ottawa was a little sleepy for my taste, but I rode my bike to work on separated bike lanes well into the winter (you have not lived until you’ve cycle commuted in -10), and took in spectacular fall scenery from the waterfront promenade along the Rideau Canal. Calgary, I was surprised to learn, had mountain views, a gorgeous, accessible river network and dense, walkable inner-city neighbourhoods packed with hipster hangouts.

The thing these cities didn’t seem to have was the haughty elitism I came back to in Vancouver. Instead of dismissing the concerns of those who were young and starting out, they seemed to crave, even thrive on, the energy of young families and bent over backwards to try to keep them...


I also find it curious you apparently leap to the assumption I just "whinge and moan without doing jack all about it". I don't. Like you I have written letters to every level of government (though not supporting the quixotic idea we can build our way to affordability). What I've learned is they're spectacularly bad at responding to citizens, with elected municipal politicians the worst. I was pleasantly surprised to get responses from both Bill Morneau's office and the Governor of the Bank of Canada.

So, I'm sorry if you tire of reading about it, but if I can goad one more person to do the same and write their elected officials (as futile as it may be), it's worthwhile.

Like I said, I got lucky, I bought my house at the right time, before global capital took that dream away from most SSPers here. We weren't brilliant investors or real estate gurus, just a couple looking for an affordable little house to live in. That's the way it should be. Nobody should ever accept the situation in Vancouver as normal.

PS if the author was able to get a coach house in Shaughnessy for $1700, do you blame her for taking it? You'd be lucky to get one bed apartment for that downtown. And Shaughnessy wasn't always a ghost town, many of us can remember gong to their to look at the homes Xmas light displays.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #298  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 12:58 AM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant - The New Downtown South
Posts: 8,181
The cost of living in New West is actually a bit lower than in Calgary (that's including rent), so the move to Calgary is completely unnecessary. Despite what her perceptions are of Calgary, it doesn't have nearly the same urban lifestyle or amenities. She'll be back, sans the sob story though...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #299  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 3:57 AM
mezzanine's Avatar
mezzanine mezzanine is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

I also find it curious you apparently leap to the assumption I just "whinge and moan without doing jack all about it". I don't. Like you I have written letters to every level of government (though not supporting the quixotic idea we can build our way to affordability). What I've learned is they're spectacularly bad at responding to citizens, with elected municipal politicians the worst. I was pleasantly surprised to get responses from both Bill Morneau's office and the Governor of the Bank of Canada.

So, I'm sorry if you tire of reading about it, but if I can goad one more person to do the same and write their elected officials (as futile as it may be), it's worthwhile.
Are you kidding? a lot of your points about real estate regress to anti-chinese / anti-immigrant demagoguery as the 'remedy' for high vancouver prices.

You seem really unhappy, to the point of dehumanizing large groups of people based on culture and ethnicity. Not addressing inequality and class with regards to the idea of real estate and "home", but looking at culture and ethnicity. It's a free market of ideas here, but I am sorry that you feel that way.
______

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Or alternatively, we would have had a great development done by locals who knew the market and didn't depend on whoring out much of the city to Chinese money. There are tales from the early Concord buildings that would make your toes curl, but I can't share those.
Like what?


Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
It is a phenomenon that only dates back to Hot Asian Money flooding into the city. Traditionally the Anglo-Scottish establishment would have frowned on that kind of ostentation. It is pretty funny to watch the Fuer Dai Follies in a snowstorm when some little princess takes her Ghibli out in summer tires!
this thought came from a post about vancouver as a tech hub, that went on to luxury cars, to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
As I've said before, once locusts pick one field clean they are forced to move on to another.
For those that moved to montreal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #300  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:01 AM
cornholio cornholio is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
The cost of living in New West is actually a bit lower than in Calgary (that's including rent), so the move to Calgary is completely unnecessary. Despite what her perceptions are of Calgary, it doesn't have nearly the same urban lifestyle or amenities. She'll be back, sans the sob story though...
New Westminster is about 45 minutes transit to downtown unless your thinking of going from station to station which statistically is a pretty big exception to the norm. In fact its at least that far to most major job centers. Sure you might have a job closer, maybe your partner will as well, but not everyone can fall in that category (literally because there are not enough jobs close to New Westminster, yet alone good jobs). Also keep in mind that is 45 minutes by transit, crowded transit, with transfers. If it was 45 minutes on a train, no transfers beyond some short walking on either end, with wifi and a seat fine, a bit long, but you can make productive use of your commute time instead of just losing it and at most listening to music for 90 minutes every day. And the crowding, it will get much much worse. That is one thing people don't do, they don't extrapolate the trends, population growth, future infrastructure improvements and so and so forth.

At the end of the day New Westminster is a far flung suburb where most people with decent jobs have a 30-45 min one way commute, and a commute that will get only worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Pinion there is no doubt Vancouver is in the midst of an affordability crisis, largely not of its own doing, but it's there. I don't blame anyone for leaving, I personally have lived in a few places around the world and would encourage it to anyone as it greatly broadens your horizons and gives a tremendous amount of perspective. My only regret is that I didn't live in more places before I came home. What I do blame people for is the winging and moaning without doing jack all about it. Barrages of articles complaining about the housing price, but no one supporting groups like Abundant Housing or getting in front of their local council to push for more rental stock etc... Instead it's F Crusty Clark its all her fault, or let's stop immigration and see what happens. I don't own in this city and as a younger person myself it's quite daunting, but I fight for what I perceive as a solution, rather than just bitching from my keyboard. I'm at every development open house I can be advocating for more units and more family friendly units, I've written council numerous times to voice my support for increased density across the board. If more people had taken a proactive approach rather than ranting from their keyboard to no one then maybe this situation wouldn't be so bad. But I guess moving to Calgary is easier.

And further to be completely honest the "Vancouver isn't what I used to know" nonsense is just so provincial and insular. Not only are cities constantly changing entities, so the entire notion is absurd, but even more so Vancouver is still very much Vancouver. Ya there are more supercars and luxury shops, but you can still find funky shops on main, yoga everywhere and a laid-back vibe that if you visit anywhere outside of the PNW becomes quite obvious. I still love it here, even if Vancouver is having some serious growing pains. If you don't that's too bad, and I truly hope you find somewhere that you do love, but be warned it will probably change as the years progress as well.

And the person in the article complaining that Shaughnessy feels hollow? Gimme a break, that neighbourhood has never had an ounce of character. What a joke. Good riddance to a completely out of touch person.
I left but it was easy for me as I had roots elsewhere. But I did do something, I see that the quickest solution is lowering immigration rates through all streams, that should be the first move. Then when you have breathing room you can begin to look at everything else. First slow down the leak before looking for a bigger pale. I joined the conservative party of Canada because they had some candidates that proposed to lower the quotas to 2015 levels (which is a nearly 30% reduction from today). I voted NDP because they are the ones that can expedite the inevitable fall in the regions quality of life, and as a result maybe get people motivated to start looking at the real problems and real solutions. I did enough. And I moved because I am not about to wait for decades for things to maybe start changing because once I looked at what will happen over the next 10 to 20 years I realized I would be better off betting everything I have on black, on the roulette table. In Vegas. Then to stay in Vancouver.

My tactics might sound harsh, they might even piss you off. But I think long and hard about what I do. Also I respect your opinion, you want to be invested in this city, your life here is not so bad, and you want its image to be positive. Fair enough. Positive thinking is great. It can also get you in trouble when you don't jump ship soon enough and end up losing too much time. Time you can't ever get back.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:04 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.