I am pleased about the "existing building to remain". It's a quite handsome 4-story brick building that spans the length of the block, with no curb cuts or parking entrances.
I also know that this is sacrilege on SSP, but hopefully there will be no further highrises west of this on Randolph. If that's not prevented by zoning then it should be. The last thing we need is for all of the interesting places (Au Cheval, Girl & the Goat, Bar Siena, Maude's, etc) replaced by whatever can afford ground floor retail rents in a condo building. Not to mention the inevitable destruction of the streetscape that occurs with Chicago-style parking podiums.
It's going to 🞵🞵🞵🞵 up the skyline view from Soho House, but I suppose that was bound to happen at some point.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
|