Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision
The owner of the mall/property would be the one doing this. It is just a matter of the market changing and I do believe we are starting to see this slowly happen. It's all about reurbanizing our cities and making them places for people first instead of cars first.
You are seeing a lot of this type of development in Toronto these days. There is certainly incentive financially as you diversify the uses on the land. You could house just as many stores, but you could also have apartments and offices.
It is certainly long term thinking but there are opportunities that present themselves every so often to rethink these types of land uses. The redevelopment of the Mumford Terminal being a prime example.
|
It'll be interesting to see when that happens. I imagine once the business case becomes such that it will be profitable to do, then it'll happen.
I can see it happening more at less-successful malls, like Bayers Road (which is not really a mall anymore), West End, or Penhorn, before HSC or Mic Mac.
HSC has just invested millions in improvements, and Mic Mac Mall is still in a somewhat suburban setting IMHO - mostly single-family homes bound by a lake and a highway.
I still think that DT Dartmouth should be utilized first, though...