Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin
Re. No new downtown malls planned: I remember you claiming there wasn't a demand for retail and that street retail would do better for this city. But facts show it otherwise. PC seems to be all filled out while the street shops are languishing in many parts.
|
Fact: There are currently 8 vacant suites in CF Pacific Centre. 4 of them have backfill plans which include retailers such as Fido. A mall bursting at the seams would not be backfilling retail space with a Fido if there were a healthy line up of retailers ready to take the space...
Any new mall development in this retail environment would have to drop their rates to uneconomical levels to entice retailers to take the space.
Quote:
|
You also doubted Brentwood would ever get lux stores. Let's see who would get this right in a year's time.
|
I'll admit this one took me (and most of the real estate industry) by surprise. It remains to see which banners and in which form these retailers come to Brentwood but if and when it happens I will admit I was wrong.
With that said, if it does happen it's almost guaranteed to be a bought deal.
Quote:
|
Restrictions of building tall towers in Vancouver: Burnaby is getting lots of developments due to their more liberal policies, enabling more housing and high density mixed development projects to be built while earning the city some good tax dollars that Vancouver is losing out.
|
Fact: Vancouver has substantially more development than Burnaby, both on a dollars invested metric and square footage under construction metric.
Vancouver 2016: $2.7b, 6,937 units
Burnaby 2016: $0.8b, 1,799 units
and just so you don't think it was a one year anomaly:
Vancouver 2015: $3.2b, 7,732 units
Burnaby 2015: $0.9b, 1,774 units
It's honestly not even close, and 2017 for Vancouver is tracking above last year month to month.
I encourage you to check the sources yourself, might change your tune (but I doubt it).
Vancouver:
http://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/statistics-on-construction-activity.aspx
Burnaby:
https://www.burnaby.ca/City-Services/Building/Tabulation-Reports.html
With that said I do agree that the City of Vancouver could be more hospitable to developers, but it is more a matter of simplifying the rezoning/DP approval process, not some blanket loosening restrictions on building tall towers.
Quote:
|
So, which other things I've stated are biased and not based on facts but pure emotions?
|
I dunno, hit me with some more of your rampant musings. This is fun.