Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46
I forgot Rouge's seasonal service to LGW too.
When I was referring to each airline's weakness, I was referring to the overall financial health of each and Air Transat is certainly the weakest on that count.
From a reputation point of view, certainly Westjet has the weakest perception among British travelers, as they botched their rollout in the UK. They don't have the warm-and-fuzzy image there as they do here in Canada.
|
Rouge has been around for almost 5 years now. Everyone kept saying TS is going to feel it. Financial health aside, I've only seen them increase their footprint to the Caribbean and Europe. They've even started offering domestic scheduled legs, to connect with their network out of YYZ and YUL.
As for financial health, their operating losses aren't huge. Only $15 million in Q2 2017. Mostly due to Canadian currency weakness and fuel hedging. They're in a slump, there is no denying it, but with the exit of the gaz guzzling A310s and the entry of the A321LR's, things should change. The Canadian dollar is slowly bouncing back, so that should help also.
TS as an air carrier is only one division of Transat AT Inc. The airline can lose money, but Transat Inc. can still recuperate the losses from somewhere else. (not implying they are at the moment)
Transat AT Inc (TRZ) stock price Dec 2012, when Rouge launched: 5.75
TRZ stock price today: 9.22
The company seems to be doing ok.