Interesting, I know most people don't care about highrises like we do here, but so many people in so many cities get excited about having a new tallest, or having bragging rights compared to a rival city (Chicago and NYC come to mind). Montreal is more of a cultural city I guess though, that's where a lot of civic pride seems to come from. Need to make a visit there sometime soon, never really had a chance to appreciate that city as an adult.
Calgary is an interesting comparison to Montreal as a lot of people here are interested in skyscrapers (though not on the SSP level, we're special lol). I guess that has helped us set ourselves apart from our peers as we hit well above our weight in this context and has made this city feel larger than it really is for the past 40 or so years. The cultural aspects are doing quite well now, so that helps the city feel more like the city it appears to be when looking at the fairly large skyline we have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity
If anything I'd say this is the dominant perspective among "regular" people across Canada, if not the world.
|
So why are cities all across the world building highrises in massive numbers? There are cities where highrises are reviled (San Francisco comes to mind), though I don't know if I would say that is the norm, especially looking at how cities like Shanghai and Dubai seem to be building massive skyscrapers for the sake of building skyscrapers (as opposed to satisfying a requirement for residential or commercial space).