Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative
I mean a building in L.A. that is as beloved, iconic, memorable, grand, architecturally significant and identifiable with LA as the ESB is for NYC or the Eiffel Tower is for Paris.
|
Most cities will never have an Empire State Building no matter what they build or how beautiful. This was a feat when skyscrapers were in their dawn and it took several decades before the Eiffel Tower was beloved. The French wanted to tear it down after the expo because they thought it was ugly. We are in the age where everyone and their grandma can throw up a new tallest building in the world and it is no longer a special thing. The ESB was built when this was a special thing and it reigned for almost 40 years as the tallest in the world and has decades of legacy and symbolism. Nowadays the world gets a new tallest every 5 years it seems.
It takes time to establish a legacy like ESB. I would venture to say that we already have our "ESB" and it's the Library Tower/US Bank. It's been in countless movies and is seen all over the world. I mean come on... it was the first building to get blown up in Independence Day. The best example I can think of is SF. I bet at the end of the day, new towers will take over the prime spots in San Francisco, but the Transamerica will still be what SF is known for because of its decades of legacy and it will be what tourists will want to see when they go there... not the Salesforce or whatever comes next. Our LA ESB is and will probably always be the Hollywood sign