HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #15241  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 6:33 PM
Groundhog's Avatar
Groundhog Groundhog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Sigh... I remember I was like 10 years old when the ACC was proposed and was so excited at the prospect of having the third tallest in the country (after 1WTC and the... sigh... Chicago Spire) At least we're actually getting a thousand footer here.
If I recall correctly, there was talk that if it got off the ground on time (spoiler alert - it did not) it could have beat the Freedom Tower to the title of tallest and for the first time in over 100 years, Philly would have - for a moment - had the tallest building in the country.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15242  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 7:32 PM
Boku Boku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 770
PMC may be expanding in West Market

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia...phia+%28Philadelphia+Business+Journal%29

Quote:
Is PMC Property Group expanding its holdings in the far western edges of Center City? The Philadelphia real estate company had been rumored to be buying 2300-12 Market St. and 2314 Market and has filed with Pennsylvania’s secretary of state two new business entities that are limited liability corporations that were set up to conduct real estate.

One entity is 2300 Market VII and the other 2314 Market VII. When asked about them, Jonathan Stavin, president at PMC, had no comment.

PMC Property owns 2400 Market St., which is the former Marketplace Design Center that it’s converting and expanding into an office building. Aramark Corp. will be located in 300,000 square feet of it. PMC also owns 2040 Market.

Both 2300-12 and 2314 Market are owned by Haab Investors and Haab FC based in Villanova, according to Philadelphia property records. The address associated with Haab belongs to Frederick C. Haab, a well-known Philadelphia business leader who died in April.

The fashion and culinary divisions of the Art Institute of Philadelphia occupy space in 2300 Market, which totals 50,637 square feet. The building at 2314 Market totals 40,900 square feet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15243  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 7:50 PM
1487 1487 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,401
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15244  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 8:11 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Georgia firm acquires Bridesburg appliance recycler, will employ 60

Quote:
Recleim L.L.C., a five-year-old Atlanta-based company, says it has bought ARCA Advanced Processing, 4301 N. Delaware Ave., in the city’s Bridesburg section.

The location is near the foot of the Betsy Ross Bridge to New Jersey, where Frankford Creek passes under I-95 and dumps into the Delaware.

The buyer says it plans to employ a total of 60 at the plant when it is fully staffed, and will advertise as it needs to add people. Recleim says it will use the plant to “de-manufacture” heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and vending equipment.

Recleim took the plant over as an operating business from ARCA. The new owner says it plans to increase output, to a total of 35,000 tons of steel, copper, aluminum, and other recyclables, and industrial gases, each year.
Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-p...ce-recycler-will-employ-60-20170817.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15245  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 8:12 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Could definitely be the site of another tower in the future. I would prefer to see 2100 Market, 2200 Market and 2201 Market fill in first before these buildings re demolished and replaced however.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15246  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 10:15 PM
PhilliesPhan's Avatar
PhilliesPhan PhilliesPhan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Could definitely be the site of another tower in the future. I would prefer to see 2100 Market, 2200 Market and 2201 Market fill in first before these buildings re demolished and replaced however.
Definitely agree with that! I would rather have all of those surface parking lots knocked out before we see anything happen on the 2300 block of Market, as sad of a stretch as it is. 22nd Street Station could use some of the much-needed new ridership resulting from the development of those blocks.

If we do get something over there, I would hope that a developer, whether it turns out to be PMC or not, use the facades of the current buildings while constructing something at least as tall as the PECO Building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15247  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:27 AM
mattejb mattejb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 42
Maybe American Commerce Center will be the 3rd tower?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15248  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 12:38 PM
Gonzo the Great's Avatar
Gonzo the Great Gonzo the Great is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the Henson Galaxy
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattejb View Post
Maybe American Commerce Center will be the 3rd tower?

yeah , and built by the same crew that molded that sand castle ...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15249  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 1:03 PM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,627
burlington coat factory site

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Here are the rumors I heard two months ago... not sure what is fact and what is official:

-PREIT has commitments from 25+ retailers for space in the mall. They are working out lease agreements with the tenants.
-Movie theater will be an "upscale" AMC and will put age limits and parental guidelines in place
-Burlington Coat Factory is moving to 9th and Market to make way for Bloomingdale's at 11th and Market
-Some of the retailers with commitments to space included H&M, Top Shop, Zara, Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, Urban Outfitters, BCBG, Coach, Clarks, DSW, Eddie Bauer, Forever 21, Fossil, Journey's, Pacsun, UGG. Primark will take an anchor spot on a corner of the mall facing Market.

Take it for what it's worth. No idea what - if anything - is official.
I can't find the quote, but I believe the article at Philly.com talked about the new theater going into the 3 story space that Burlington now occupies.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15250  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 1:33 PM
Parkway's Avatar
Parkway Parkway is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I can't find the quote, but I believe the article at Philly.com talked about the new theater going into the 3 story space that Burlington now occupies.
I was under the impression that they only wanted the top floor? It would make sense because a theater doesn't really rely on walk in traffic.

Last edited by Parkway; Aug 18, 2017 at 2:54 PM. Reason: I can words good
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15251  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 2:49 PM
1487 1487 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
I was under the impression that they only wanted the top floor? It would make sense because they theater doesn't really rely on walk in traffic.
yes I think that is correct
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15252  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:30 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Here are the rumors I heard two months ago... not sure what is fact and what is official:

-PREIT has commitments from 25+ retailers for space in the mall. They are working out lease agreements with the tenants.
-Movie theater will be an "upscale" AMC and will put age limits and parental guidelines in place
-Burlington Coat Factory is moving to 9th and Market to make way for Bloomingdale's at 11th and Market
-Some of the retailers with commitments to space included H&M, Top Shop, Zara, Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, Urban Outfitters, BCBG, Coach, Clarks, DSW, Eddie Bauer, Forever 21, Fossil, Journey's, Pacsun, UGG. Primark will take an anchor spot on a corner of the mall facing Market.

Take it for what it's worth. No idea what - if anything - is official.
Not a bad lineup, though some of these stores are duplicative of stores that already exist on West Chestnut (and West Walnut; this will be a third H&M). I'm not really sure why we need duplicates in such close proximity in a city of our size, but I suppose the stores have done their homework (you'd hope) and don't think it will cannibalize sales.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15253  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:33 PM
1487 1487 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,401
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15254  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 8:11 PM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
I was under the impression that they only wanted the top floor? It would make sense because a theater doesn't really rely on walk in traffic.

Not needing to be right on the street makes some sense, but I was assuming the theater would need two floors to accommodate stadium type seating.

All in all, this project feels to me like its still trying to find its focus. It seems like the owners have 50% of their dance card filled and are trying to figure out how to fill the rest without turning off the people they already have.

My answer-----go ahead and build 600 apartment units on top of the existing buildings and much of the market will be living right there. Now, where is that $100M I had laying around here-------------------
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15255  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 8:58 PM
crackpinky crackpinky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I've been meaning to post this picture of the sand sculpture at Liberty Place:



(I wonder if they were just not paying attention to the source of whatever picture they were copying from to realize one of the buildings doesn't actually exist.)
I work in that building and just took a picture yesterday because of the inclusion of ACC
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15256  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 12:54 AM
Mr Saturn64's Avatar
Mr Saturn64 Mr Saturn64 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Philly
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Definitely agree with that! I would rather have all of those surface parking lots knocked out before we see anything happen on the 2300 block of Market, as sad of a stretch as it is. 22nd Street Station could use some of the much-needed new ridership resulting from the development of those blocks.

If we do get something over there, I would hope that a developer, whether it turns out to be PMC or not, use the facades of the current buildings while constructing something at least as tall as the PECO Building.
I would also like to see something at the height, especially if (if I recall correctly) 2100 Market got drastically downsized and pushed back. It would be nice for something to be taller in that area, as the PECO Building (where my grandfather once worked) is kind of out there by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
yeah , and built by the same crew that molded that sand castle ...
I don't like sand. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating... and it gets everywhere.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15257  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 12:23 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro
Posts: 10,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
I don't like sand. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating... and it gets everywhere.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15258  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 1:05 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Not needing to be right on the street makes some sense, but I was assuming the theater would need two floors to accommodate stadium type seating.

All in all, this project feels to me like its still trying to find its focus. It seems like the owners have 50% of their dance card filled and are trying to figure out how to fill the rest without turning off the people they already have.

My answer-----go ahead and build 600 apartment units on top of the existing buildings and much of the market will be living right there. Now, where is that $100M I had laying around here-------------------
Retail in Philly, and more broadly nationwide, is starting to go through a tough period right now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15259  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 11:36 PM
Gonzo the Great's Avatar
Gonzo the Great Gonzo the Great is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the Henson Galaxy
Posts: 478
Ok , unrelated to the currents subject matter .... So I'm watching channel 6 news a while back and they had a shot
of center city that I believe was recorded from some roof top at Temple U. It is one of the better center city inclusive
views I have seen ...... That got to wondering , has anyone ever tried to shoot the city from the zoo ballon
I think that might be quite a perspective we haven't enjoyed yet ..... or has it been done , and I was just asleep at
the helm .....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15260  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 5:19 PM
SJPhillyBoy's Avatar
SJPhillyBoy SJPhillyBoy is offline
Hello
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SJ to Philly
Posts: 2,631
Walt Whitman Bridge painters live the high life

Carol Comegno, @CarolComegno Published 9:41 a.m. ET Aug. 18, 2017 | Updated 8:44 p.m. ET Aug. 19, 2017

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/n.../walt-whitman-bridge-painters/545314001/
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:49 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.