HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #11821  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 1:19 AM
Diogenes1 Diogenes1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 3
Lightbulb moving to Moncton

Hey guys, thanks for taking time to read my post!

I didn't know where I could talk about this and ask questions so when I found this thread I thought it'd be a good place. I'm a 29 year old man in Southern Ontario, and I'm looking to move to Moncton soon for many reasons but most particularly because of affordable housing, nicer summer weather, clean air, less congestion, and friendly people who have more time to talk and hang out with you.

I know that there are jobs in Moncton particularly in I.T. however my main issue is I'm not a highly skilled worker. I have a degree (psychology B.A.) however my work experience is mainly in hospitality (coffee shop), working at a hospital in the Dietary department during my high school and university years, and some volunteering experience. I have a good downpayment for a house however I'm not sure how the work aspect will be resolved. I talked to a few employment agencies in Moncton and they said for them I have to be there first and I can then go for an interview and maybe they can find something for me.

Can anyone tell me what is the best chance of finding employment in my area of work and if I should apply and get a job before going to Moncton or should I move there and show up and apply in person? I was thinking of just applying and not putting anything about my location on the resume, and if an employer responds I can tell them about my situation but I don't know how they would feel about that.

Also with my work experience do I have a good chance of finding employment in similar but other fields such as retail / sales etc?

I've heard that employers sometimes have difficulty finding people even for low skilled jobs, is that true?

Anyways guys if you have any other advice I'd really appreciate it, and thank s again for your help!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11822  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 10:46 AM
Delusio Cogno's Avatar
Delusio Cogno Delusio Cogno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes1 View Post

Also with my work experience do I have a good chance of finding employment in similar but other fields such as retail / sales etc?

I've heard that employers sometimes have difficulty finding people even for low skilled jobs, is that true?
Call centers are always hiring. Sales acumen is highly sought over as up-selling opportunities abound on inbound phone calls. A university degree should get you an interview without a problem, as many in call centers just have high school.

Retail prefers bilingual employees. How's your French?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11823  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 11:19 AM
mctnguy mctnguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes1 View Post
Anyways guys if you have any other advice I'd really appreciate it, and thank s again for your help!
Call Centers are the first thing I thought of. Westjet, RBC, Rogers, Fairmont and more.

Codiac Transpo (Our bus system) is short on bus drivers. I am not sure if you need any prior driving experience.

Then there is retail. Maybe you could get a summer job somewhere to get you started.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11824  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 1:24 PM
Ammn_guy Ammn_guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 192
Call centers are the best back up job.. until you find something more specific there are some better paying ones like fairmont, rbc, bluecross, rogers, westjet(work from home).

There is lots of work you'll find something right away. It just might take a bit to find the best paying/job of preference.

As someone mentioned above bi-lingual, is almost a requirement in hospitality jobs here.. but not in every case, although the french rightfully prefer to speak french, the majority of the french population speak english as well.

you might try posting here as well .. a different audience for your questions

https://www.reddit.com/r/moncton/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes1 View Post
Hey guys, thanks for taking time to read my post!


Anyways guys if you have any other advice I'd really appreciate it, and thank s again for your help!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11825  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 1:47 PM
Patapouf26 Patapouf26 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Moncton
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes1 View Post
Hey guys, thanks for taking time to read my post!

I didn't know where I could talk about this and ask questions so when I found this thread I thought it'd be a good place. I'm a 29 year old man in Southern Ontario, and I'm looking to move to Moncton soon for many reasons but most particularly because of affordable housing, nicer summer weather, clean air, less congestion, and friendly people who have more time to talk and hang out with you.

I know that there are jobs in Moncton particularly in I.T. however my main issue is I'm not a highly skilled worker. I have a degree (psychology B.A.) however my work experience is mainly in hospitality (coffee shop), working at a hospital in the Dietary department during my high school and university years, and some volunteering experience. I have a good downpayment for a house however I'm not sure how the work aspect will be resolved. I talked to a few employment agencies in Moncton and they said for them I have to be there first and I can then go for an interview and maybe they can find something for me.

Can anyone tell me what is the best chance of finding employment in my area of work and if I should apply and get a job before going to Moncton or should I move there and show up and apply in person? I was thinking of just applying and not putting anything about my location on the resume, and if an employer responds I can tell them about my situation but I don't know how they would feel about that.

Also with my work experience do I have a good chance of finding employment in similar but other fields such as retail / sales etc?

I've heard that employers sometimes have difficulty finding people even for low skilled jobs, is that true?

Anyways guys if you have any other advice I'd really appreciate it, and thank s again for your help!
I find there are many types of opportunities in the area. You want to check CareerBeacon for starters. Here's a link to a Moncton search, but you should also search for Dieppe, Riverview, Shediac and other municipalities in the greater area.
https://www.careerbeacon.com/search/jobs-in-moncton-nb

Personally, I would tend to want to find a job before moving. I'm sure you can find a cheap apartment or executive suite (even AirBNB?) until you're settled into your new job and find your perfect location. Welcome to Moncton!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11826  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 3:43 PM
Diogenes1 Diogenes1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 3
From my understanding French is required for the call centres no? I can't speak fluent French unfortunately.

I will check out those links thanks guys!

Any thoughts on whether I should find a job first, or just move there and show up and apply in person? I think applying in person is more effective as employers prefer to hire local when they can no?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11827  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 3:58 PM
Ammn_guy Ammn_guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 192
French is not always required .. however usually they will have a french premium, you get paid more, if your bilingual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes1 View Post
From my understanding French is required for the call centres no? I can't speak fluent French unfortunately.

I will check out those links thanks guys!

Any thoughts on whether I should find a job first, or just move there and show up and apply in person? I think applying in person is more effective as employers prefer to hire local when they can no?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11828  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 4:07 PM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,104
Start applying now regardless; it certainly can't hurt. And after you move, you can be looking locally. With retail experience, you probably won't have much trouble finding a temporary retail job to tide you over at least while you try to find a job you might want more. Be up front that you are not in city now, but will be moving there by (whatever date).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11829  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 4:48 PM
L'homard L'homard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,055
Many call centers welcome unilingual applicants, including some of the best ones, including some work-at-home call centres. (Bilingual ones pay $1 or $2 more per hour at some centres, though.)
The pay scales at many centres is lower than where you are from but you'll pay less for cost of living, generally.
As well, there is a high degree of mobility in the industry which means if you are a good worker you can move up to better, and better paying, jobs before too long after you start at the bottom of the food chain.
I have friends, including a husband and wife, who have made their entire career in the call centre industry and are now retired - far ahead of me who is older than they are! These jobs are not to be overlooked for sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11830  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 3:13 PM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
Smile you're on camera

For those of you wondering it does not seem to be happening just yet but maybe in the near future. The city has been pushing for the province to allow for the use of red light cameras. It probably has to do with the increase in red light jumpers, and the accidents they cause this way here you jump the red, and will not be smiling when the ticket arrives in the mail.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11831  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 2:25 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,291
Well guys, here's something to look forward to.

On April 8th, 2024 (less than seven years from now), a total solar eclipse will pass over central NB, brushing the outskirts of Moncton.

Here's an interactive Google map showing the path of totality:

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2024Apr08Tgoogle.html

The eclipse will pass so close to Moncton that Magnetic Hill Zoo will experience totality. Downtown Moncton will have to make do with 99.94% totality.

The eclipse will be maximal at 7:36PM

Of course, if you want to experience the maximal duration of totality, you will have to travel a bit further north. The centre of totality will pass over the northern portion of Kouchibouguac National Park. Totality here will last 3 minutes 16 seconds.

Very neat stuff. I experienced a total solar eclipse as a child growing up on PEI. It will be spectacular to experience another one.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11832  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 3:06 PM
PEI highway guy PEI highway guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Well guys, here's something to look forward to.

On April 8th, 2024 (less than seven years from now), a total solar eclipse will pass over central NB, brushing the outskirts of Moncton.

Here's an interactive Google map showing the path of totality:

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2024Apr08Tgoogle.html

The eclipse will pass so close to Moncton that Magnetic Hill Zoo will experience totality. Downtown Moncton will have to make do with 99.94% totality.

The eclipse will be maximal at 7:36PM

Of course, if you want to experience the maximal duration of totality, you will have to travel a bit further north. The centre of totality will pass over the northern portion of Kouchibouguac National Park. Totality here will last 3 minutes 16 seconds.
Very neat stuff. I experienced a total solar eclipse as a child growing up on PEI. It will be spectacular to experience another one.



You must be about my age, I WAS about 8 at the cottage in Shediac when that eclispe occurred, and us kids got taken home from the beach and put indoors, I remember how weird it was that the street lights came on in mid afternoon. I LOOK FORWARD TO THE NEXT ONE.

It may be an early spring tourism boost to that area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11833  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 3:28 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
You must be about my age, I WAS about 8 at the cottage in Shediac when that eclispe occurred, and us kids got taken home from the beach and put indoors, I remember how weird it was that the street lights came on in mid afternoon. I LOOK FORWARD TO THE NEXT ONE.

It may be an early spring tourism boost to that area.
July 10, 1972 - I was 14.

So you missed watching the eclipse? Too bad (although looking at the totality map for that eclipse - Charlottetown was in the centre of totality and Shediac was on the edge). It's safe to look at a total eclipse (but not a partial eclipse) without eye protection.

I clearly remember how it suddenly got cool when totality occurred, and how the birds started to flock and look for their roosts for the night. It also got eerily quiet for whatever reason. I watched from my brothers back yard on Mount Edward Road in Charlottetown. We had purchased special glasses to watch as totality approached - it was really neat.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11834  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 4:09 PM
PEI highway guy PEI highway guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 597
we watched from inside the screen door for a while and then dad got worried about our eyes and shooed us. The birds did go wierd, I was 6, 7 in August. What I remember was the street lights on at 4 pm or so. It did not get totally dark at Parlee, but it was close. All this was from a 6 yrs olds memory 45 years ago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11835  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 12:50 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,291
Toronto's Dream Payments Unveils Centre of Excellence in Moncton

TORONTO, ON and MONCTON, NB--(Marketwired - July 12, 2017) - Dream Payments, a leading financial technology (fintech) company that operates a payments cloud to power commerce and payments across mobile devices and the Internet of Things (IoT), proudly announces the opening of its first Centre of Excellence in Moncton, New Brunswick. The company's first Canadian office outside of Toronto is ramping up to support Dream's rapid growth in both the Canadian and US market. It will house the majority of Dream's technical team, including existing senior employees who have immigrated to Canada from offices in Russia and Vietnam.

Frank McKenna, Deputy Chairman of TD Bank and former Premier of New Brunswick, will cut the ribbon at the official ceremony. Other distinguished guests confirmed to attend include Moncton Mayor Dawn Arnold, representatives of New Brunswick's economic development corporation Opportunities NB (ONB) and Dream Payments CEO Brent Ho-Young.

"Transitioning our offshore teams to Canada was a very sensitive undertaking. We evaluated many locations across the country and we're thrilled to have found a home for our new Centre of Excellence in Moncton," said Brent Ho-Young. "Dream has worked closely with ONB over the last eight months to make this happen and we couldn't be more pleased. The province has done a fantastic job in establishing a vibrant tech community and nurturing innovative, like-minded companies. We know that Moncton is the right place for us to invest, grow and succeed."

Dream Payments provides businesses of all types and sizes with unique mobile point-of-sale (POS) solutions through its secure payments cloud and device management platform. Dream is the world's only mobile platform that enables Interac® Debit and Chip and PIN credit card payment terminals to be sold off-the-shelf. The company's unique technology is also used by financial institutions and acquirers including Chase Paymentech to deliver user-friendly mobile payment solutions to their business customers.

"We are delighted to welcome Dream Payments to New Brunswick," said Stephen Lund, CEO of Opportunities NB. "Dream Payments is the first fintech company attracted to New Brunswick by ONB. We know the company's unique and innovative technology will add to the already robust financial services sector. These high skilled jobs will create more high-quality employment opportunities in this burgeoning ‎technology sector."

Opportunities NB is a Crown corporation that seeks to attract and support opportunities to grow the economy and create jobs. It provides support services for businesses across the province.

ABOUT DREAM PAYMENTS:

Dream Payments is an award winning payments cloud that powers mobile commerce and payment services across mobile devices and the IoT. Leading financial institutions and merchant acquirers use Dream's Payment-as-a-Service (PaaS) platform to provide mobile point-of-sale (POS) applications, next-generation payment terminals, and value-added services to businesses of all sizes.

With a growing ecosystem of partnerships with best-in-class financial services providers, including TD Merchant Solutions, Intuit QuickBooks and TruShield Insurance, Dream delivers the solutions that enable businesses to sell everywhere, accept all payments, and thrive in their markets. Dream is headquartered in Toronto, Ontario and has operations in Moncton, New Brunswick and Stamford, Connecticut. For more information about Dream Payments, please visit dreampayments.com.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11836  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 5:01 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,291
Festival Inspire - New mural on the Lafrance Building at UdeM (still a work in progress)

__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11837  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 6:10 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,291
from Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB page:



Moncton - tops in NB for 29 quarters in a row!!!
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11838  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 11:37 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,291
City of Moncton news release:

Quote:
Big projects continue to dominate City of Moncton building permits over the second quarter
July 17, 2017

MONCTON – The total value of permits for the second quarter ending June 30th came in at $95.2 million, compared with $122 million during the same period last year. The total number of permits for the quarter was 409, down slightly from 459 in 2016.

Commercial and residential building permits had 3-month totals of $23.5 million and $14.8 million, respectively. The largest drivers of these results included a new hotel on Mapleton Road, valued at $10.5 million, an outdoor plaza at the new Downtown Centre valued at $3.7 million, a new $1.5 million Nordic Spa on Front Mountain Road, and $1 million in office renovations at 1234 Main Street for BDC.

Institutional permits accounted for $55.5 million or 58 per cent of the quarter’s activity, with most of that derived from the new surgical suites at the Georges Dumont Hospital, worth $51.8 million. The Cathédrale Notre-Dame-de-l’Assomption on St. George also came in with $3.1 million of renovations.

“We’ve had some really positive business announcements take place over the past couple of months,” said Mayor Dawn Arnold. “Employers from near and far continue to give us great feedback about the real estate options in this market.”

The City’s Economic Development team echoed this sentiment.

“We continue to focus on facilitating the development of a number of key properties that will have a positive impact on commercial space in particular,” said Kevin Silliker, Director of Economic Development. “But we are also very pleased to see that several Ontario-based firms have included Moncton in their plans for ambitious growth objectives.”
Interesting to see that BDC is moving to 1234 Main. This is good news. The sooner that 1234 Main nears full tenancy, the more likely it becomes that renovations will commence at 1222 Main.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11839  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 12:04 AM
NBNYer's Avatar
NBNYer NBNYer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moncton
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
City of Moncton news release:

“We’ve had some really positive business announcements take place over the past couple of months,” said Mayor Dawn Arnold.

“But we are also very pleased to see that several Ontario-based firms have included Moncton in their plans for ambitious growth objectives.”
I guess Dream Payments is one of these, I wonder what other announcements may be afoot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11840  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 12:22 PM
mctnguy mctnguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Moncton - tops in NB for 29 quarters in a row!!!
Annnnnd beating Halifax and St. John's NL!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunsw...pment-statistics-canada-leader-1.4209451
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:07 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.