HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4061  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 5:27 AM
Roger Strong's Avatar
Roger Strong Roger Strong is offline
Speak the truth, then run
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I was surprised they allowed even more "Park" names with Park West and Park East in Waverley West. Anything with "park" in it sells, I guess. Sort of like there are about 100 different "Harvard" streets around Metro Boston.
Yup. I once lived on Weatherstone Place. There is no stone, weathered or otherwise.

In any new development on the edge of town, on slate-flat land looking towards a slate-flat horizon, it's almost legally required that it have streets with "Ridge."

If I told you that one such street was named "Mountainview Terrace", you wouldn't deny it without looking it up.
     
     
  #4062  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 11:25 AM
robertocarlos robertocarlos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 820
^^ Why don't you buy a Pompadour hat?

Last edited by robertocarlos; Jul 9, 2017 at 3:33 PM.
     
     
  #4063  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 2:34 AM
Roger Strong's Avatar
Roger Strong Roger Strong is offline
Speak the truth, then run
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 896
^^ I'm already wearing a Pomeranian hat. With googly eyes.
     
     
  #4064  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 4:36 AM
jmt18325's Avatar
jmt18325 jmt18325 is offline
Heart of the Continent
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7,286
I noticed that the parking lot beside East Ocean is closed, as is, apparently, East Ocean. Is the project on the 2013 poster finally going forward?

Last edited by jmt18325; Jul 10, 2017 at 5:05 AM.
     
     
  #4065  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 5:00 AM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,081
^ that African cultural Centre. Would be awesome but I haven't heard anything.

I peaked into the ground floor space of the Dreman Building on Portage. There were drawings on the desk that said it is becoming a Dental Centre. Under construction. It appears there is a small retail unit left to the east near the entrance. That part is not under construction.
     
     
  #4066  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 2:57 PM
DirtWednesday DirtWednesday is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
It's actually spelled a bit different in each case.

St. Mary Avenue is the street within the downtown Winnipeg area.

St. Mary's Road is the street cutting through St. Boniface and St. Vital suburbs. Notice the appostrophe.
I did have the apostrophe... Doesn't mean I know the difference. I always end up saying "St. Mary downtown" or "St. Mary St Vital".


Going back to 385 St Mary downtown, I think they stay very close to the original design. I had noticed tire kickers for weeks before Bird put up their signs. Checking under the facade and such. It was as if they were seeing just how much they had to strip to make the building viable by today's codes and standards. Probably strip it and bring it back almost exactly like before but new innards, same structure.
     
     
  #4067  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 3:01 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
I was driving down Ness close to Living Prairie Museum yesterday and I noticed a short tower crane to the north. I couldn't remember hearing about any major projects around there... does anyone know what it is?
     
     
  #4068  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 3:06 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^ that African cultural Centre. Would be awesome but I haven't heard anything.

I peaked into the ground floor space of the Dreman Building on Portage. There were drawings on the desk that said it is becoming a Dental Centre. Under construction. It appears there is a small retail unit left to the east near the entrance. That part is not under construction.
That was the plan, but it is sure taking a long time.
     
     
  #4069  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 3:50 PM
plrh plrh is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was driving down Ness close to Living Prairie Museum yesterday and I noticed a short tower crane to the north. I couldn't remember hearing about any major projects around there... does anyone know what it is?
training centre http://www.oetim.com/
     
     
  #4070  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 3:53 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
training centre http://www.oetim.com/
Thank you!
     
     
  #4071  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 7:44 PM
balletomane balletomane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 553
A bit of a random question, but why doesn't Winnipeg have its own subsection in the Manitoba & Saskatchewan section? It just seems like it's quite dominant among the many threads here.
     
     
  #4072  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 7:53 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,373
Uh oh, here we go agan. haha Its been discussed. i think there have been numerous polls as well on a dedicated forum.
     
     
  #4073  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 9:22 PM
The Jabroni's Avatar
The Jabroni The Jabroni is offline
Go kicky fast, okay!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Donut Dominion
Posts: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
A bit of a random question, but why doesn't Winnipeg have its own subsection in the Manitoba & Saskatchewan section? It just seems like it's quite dominant among the many threads here.
This question has been asked numerous times in the past, and time and again, it's been vetoed by the majority of the members here.

I was all for our own forum, until I realized that it would just simply isolate us with limited topics of conversation. It's extremely hard to justify to have Winnipeg to have its own sub-forum within a Manitoba and Saskatchewan forum, when Saskatoon and Regina, with that logic, should have its own forum too.

I can go on and on about the politics behind it, but in the end, it's really not worth it. Hell, we're happy to have a combined population of over 2 million people to represent the heartland of Canada!
     
     
  #4074  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 10:50 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
This question has been asked numerous times in the past, and time and again, it's been vetoed by the majority of the members here.

I was all for our own forum, until I realized that it would just simply isolate us with limited topics of conversation. It's extremely hard to justify to have Winnipeg to have its own sub-forum within a Manitoba and Saskatchewan forum, when Saskatoon and Regina, with that logic, should have its own forum too.

I can go on and on about the politics behind it, but in the end, it's really not worth it. Hell, we're happy to have a combined population of over 2 million people to represent the heartland of Canada!
You're half right. It is brought up all the time. You're wrong in the vetoed by the majority part. Last time there was a poll should winnipeg get its own section yes/no, the majority voted yes.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=220735&highlight=Subsection&page=3
     
     
  #4075  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 11:10 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
A bit of a random question, but why doesn't Winnipeg have its own subsection in the Manitoba & Saskatchewan section? It just seems like it's quite dominant among the many threads here.
That question is about as random here as the sun setting each night.
     
     
  #4076  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 11:37 PM
balletomane balletomane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 553
I'm indifferent to it, I was just curious as to why it hasn't happened yet. The majority of the most recently discussed threads are Winnipeg-related.

Hopefully I didn't start another debate about the topic, I hadn't realized it was already discussed multiple times and polled in the past.
     
     
  #4077  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 12:10 AM
balletomane balletomane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 553
In other news, BellMTS sign is now up at Portage and Main.
     
     
  #4078  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 12:47 AM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,081
I don't understand why they don't just drop the MTS part. We all know it's inevitable. Just do it already. It's totally why the arena is Bell MTS Place...so when it changes there isn't another Bell Centre.
     
     
  #4079  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 3:13 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I peaked into the ground floor space of the Dreman Building on Portage. There were drawings on the desk that said it is becoming a Dental Centre. Under construction.
That isn't exactly a big surprise when they had their banner up in the window of that space for a good length of time.

--

In terms of BellMTS and why the name didn't change straight to Bell, the product mix sold in MB is still very different than their other markets. They are working towards moving MB to their national product offerings but it will take time, hence the intermediate name.
     
     
  #4080  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 3:40 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
That isn't exactly a big surprise when they had their banner up in the window of that space for a good length of time.

--

In terms of BellMTS and why the name didn't change straight to Bell, the product mix sold in MB is still very different than their other markets. They are working towards moving MB to their national product offerings but it will take time, hence the intermediate name.
I also assume the brand recognition of MTS plays a role.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:21 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.