Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist
It's pretty convenient and covers the city well, but I had two problems with it:
1. Too many stairs (up and down) on transfers and exits, which was a real pain when travelling with luggage. But this is probably a function of its age.
2. Poor exit signage. In Shanghai maps of the surrounding area are available inside the fare-paid area so it's obvious which exit you need to go out BEFORE you leave the fare gate. In Paris, I was only able to find such maps once I left the fare paid area, so by the time it was apparent I had gone to the wrong exit, it was too late to do anything about it.
|
The Paris Metro kind of reminds me of what we might today call a "light metro". The cars are small, and I think they only have 5 of them. The stations are close and not really built for high capacities.
Nouvelleecosse is correct that the Paris Metro gets away with this because (a) the RER handles the high volume, long distance stuff and is quite a comprehensive network within the City of Paris already, and, (b) the Paris Metro is a dense blanket of lines.
I wonder if the design of the Paris Metro helped shape the urbanism pattern of the City of Paris in the 20th century - that is, one where the city is very dense, but made up of many self-contained neighbourhoods and no "true centre".