HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8241  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 4:04 PM
koops65's Avatar
koops65 koops65 is offline
Intergalactic Barfly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Quarks Bar
Posts: 8,812
WS needs to say that's too tall for the neighbourhood...
     
     
  #8242  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 4:29 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,724
It will only be 17.9m taller then the Globe and Mail Centre across from it. It should help balance out how heavy the Globe And Mail Centre feels as well.
__________________
"Less is more" – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
     
     
  #8243  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 4:46 PM
koops65's Avatar
koops65 koops65 is offline
Intergalactic Barfly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Quarks Bar
Posts: 8,812
According to WS, the G & M is too tall as well! Also, Time & Space Condos, 254 King E, 25 Ontario St. and Bauhaus are all too big/tall for the area. That part of downtown IS NOT allowed to "grow up" like the rest of downtown is doing...
     
     
  #8244  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 6:07 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,724
It should have more of a set back above it's podium but other then that I like how it meets the street.
__________________
"Less is more" – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
     
     
  #8245  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 7:28 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
The Globe and Mail building is too large. I actually would have traded a slimmer massing for a few metres more. This one's footprint is too wide for the previous height proposed. The new 4 storey increase is too far. I agree with Andrew. A sizable setback around the height of the neighbouring buildings is required to at least bring some context to the taller height.

This is just Lamb and his partners cramming as much density on the site. Good luck to them. I think they're in for a battle when it comes to density, coverage, separation and, height.
     
     
  #8246  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 7:31 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
According to WS, the G & M is too tall as well! Also, Time & Space Condos, 254 King E, 25 Ontario St. and Bauhaus are all too big/tall for the area. That part of downtown IS NOT allowed to "grow up" like the rest of downtown is doing...
You should be more like your avatar and not speak.
     
     
  #8247  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 7:36 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,724
I think the height is fine as long as the set back is increased. I'd actually like to see something taller then the G&M building just to help it's scale feel a little less foreboding.
__________________
"Less is more" – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
     
     
  #8248  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 7:56 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
For sure. The Globe and Mail has been built. Can't look back. It's has to better integrated but hoping that leads this neighbourhood to become another tall Entertainment type district is about as unappealing as you can get. Build off of the historic context and the past ten years of intense infill ( that the heighter elite choose to ignore) rather than starting over once again.
     
     
  #8249  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 9:21 PM
koops65's Avatar
koops65 koops65 is offline
Intergalactic Barfly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Quarks Bar
Posts: 8,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
You should be more like your avatar and not speak.
I'll speak when I feel like it... but I did get a good laugh from your comment...

Also, that part of town, King St. E, is simply "growing up" and adding to the mass of downtown, as is Regent Park next door... I don't need to hope for anything, it's happening without my input.

Last edited by koops65; Jun 15, 2017 at 9:33 PM.
     
     
  #8250  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 9:53 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Nothing too groundbreaking design-wise, but the largest and most advanced cancer centre in the country is pretty cool, and one of the, if not the, largest single residential building in Calgary is of note, at 463 units. Also of note, 4Square will be the 2nd tallest in the city outside of the Downtown/Beltline core of buildings, at least until the next phases of the Brentwood and Dalhousie TODs get underway. This building is interesting as it is furnished student residences, being done by Campus Suites. It's being marketed to U of C and SAIT students, as well as employees at Foothills Medical Centre, as its location is virtually equidistant, about 1 kilometer, from each of the three. Also, as it's within 300 meters of Banff Trail Station, it is another step in the city's process of attracting TODs.


Calgary Cancer Centre - Foothills Medical Centre - $1.4 billion




http://globalnews.ca/news/3529985/notley-to-release-design-plans-for-new-calgary-cancer-centre/



500 Block South - Beltline - 112 meters - 32 storeys - 463 units





4Square - Motel Village - 90 meters - 28 storeys - 328 units

__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Jun 15, 2017 at 10:04 PM.
     
     
  #8251  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 10:11 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
I'll speak when I feel like it... but I did get a good laugh from your comment...

Also, that part of town, King St. E, is simply "growing up" and adding to the mass of downtown, as is Regent Park next door... I don't need to hope for anything, it's happening without my input.
Like I said. I respond in kind.

It also didn't sound like you were fine with how it has been intensifying. I'm fine with how it has been growing. There's always proposals that ask for too much and get trimmed down in the process. The odds are this will be one too. Of course, it happens to be those exact proposals you see as "growing up" (i.e. because they are extremely tall in context) instead of dozen of projects like King East, East Lofts, Mozo, etc. that add tons of new density but still fit in.
     
     
  #8252  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 11:04 PM
urbandreamer's Avatar
urbandreamer urbandreamer is offline
recession proof
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,656
Bauhaus isn't appalling but seriously I am tired of these minimalist glass Lamb Dev Corp towers. Give us some red brick expressionism here considering the old town context!
     
     
  #8253  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 4:56 AM
koops65's Avatar
koops65 koops65 is offline
Intergalactic Barfly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Quarks Bar
Posts: 8,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Like I said. I respond in kind.

It also didn't sound like you were fine with how it has been intensifying. I'm fine with how it has been growing. There's always proposals that ask for too much and get trimmed down in the process. The odds are this will be one too. Of course, it happens to be those exact proposals you see as "growing up" (i.e. because they are extremely tall in context) instead of dozen of projects like King East, East Lofts, Mozo, etc. that add tons of new density but still fit in.
Intensification is good. More height is good too of course... that is slowly being added as well. It's all good. On my 3D model I add in all those shorter buildings too, and I can see the density growing steadily. It's just on SSP I choose to concentrate on the height in my discussions. The shorter stuff doesn't interest me nearly as much. You and everyone else knows that...
     
     
  #8254  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 5:16 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post

4Square - Motel Village - 90 meters - 28 storeys - 328 units

Wow, they sure made this project look appealing.
     
     
  #8255  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 9:28 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
It's the first proposal in what is quite possibly the most unattractive area in Calgary's inner city. The area is literally called "Motel Village". I don't mind this building really. Context means a lot.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #8256  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 11:32 AM
koops65's Avatar
koops65 koops65 is offline
Intergalactic Barfly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Quarks Bar
Posts: 8,812
A render that doesn't look professional could end up becoming a building that wasn't built professionally either... these types of things often go hand-in-hand.
     
     
  #8257  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 12:50 PM
niwell's Avatar
niwell niwell is online now
sick transit, gloria
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roncesvalles, Toronto
Posts: 11,654
Just because Motel Village is pretty unappealing doesn't mean that one should be happy with a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 proposal. That's how you end up with the West Village all over again.

Also is it just me or is the perspective in that render... off?
     
     
  #8258  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 2:36 PM
koops65's Avatar
koops65 koops65 is offline
Intergalactic Barfly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Quarks Bar
Posts: 8,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Just because Motel Village is pretty unappealing doesn't mean that one should be happy with a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 proposal. That's how you end up with the West Village all over again.

Also is it just me or is the perspective in that render... off?
The perspective isn't just a little bit off... it's SEVERELY off.
     
     
  #8259  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 2:45 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
It's a private equity funded student residence. It's going to look like 🞵🞵🞵🞵 no matter what. There is value in the overpriced units. The second tallest in suburbia is nothing to advertise though. Shorter would be better.

Holy heck is the Cancer Centre hideous. I have missed the usual chest thumping rhetoric from Chad though.
     
     
  #8260  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 2:56 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Bauhaus isn't appalling but seriously I am tired of these minimalist glass Lamb Dev Corp towers. Give us some red brick expressionism here considering the old town context!

Sometimes the best way to respect the old is to compliment it with the new not try to replicate or match it. Also Brad Lamb does these styles well and they are peppered across the city not lumped all in one or two locations. I'm 100% ok with Lamb continuing along the same path.
__________________
"Less is more" – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:19 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.