HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9521  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 12:58 PM
niwell's Avatar
niwell niwell is online now
sick transit, gloria
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roncesvalles, Toronto
Posts: 11,654
We are also grappling with the idea of whether or not it is morally acceptable to force someone into treatment / assisted living if they don't want to. De-institutionalization resulted in substandard living conditions for many, and concentrated groups around locations of health facilities. But, arguably more freedom in how they wish to live their lives. It's easy to see both sides, or advocate for one or the other depending on what individual case you look at.

I'm not sure the homeless problem has gotten worse in Toronto since the 90s, although those living in marginal conditions probably has. In other places it has gotten noticeably more prevalent though. I'm always shocked for instance in Calgary how there is a guy collecting bottles and asking for change at a far-flung suburban gas station my mom frequents. That didn't seem to occur when I was growing up, although obviously it did in the central city.
     
     
  #9522  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 1:10 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is online now
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Let the battle begin. Clockzilla as David vs. Mecclocky as Goliath.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #9523  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:09 PM
cyeg66's Avatar
cyeg66 cyeg66 is offline
Contôleur aérien YYC
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Really, really north Leduc
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I asked myself today if I was to make like a Society6 page or something would anyone buy a Clockzilla mug or T-shirt?
I'd buy a few mugs, for sure....!
__________________
Trainer of dolphins and certified Shorkie whisperer
     
     
  #9524  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:35 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyeg66 View Post
I'd buy a few mugs, for sure....!
I'll see when I have time. I'll post a link here if I do. Wouldn't it be something if I could print Clockzilla onto a clock?!? Alas I don't see that option on Society6.
     
     
  #9525  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:36 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,260
What is the probability of a clockzilla diagram making it onto the official diagram page for Laval? Assuming we could convince someone like Koops to do one.
     
     
  #9526  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 12:51 AM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is online now
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
I like it. I don't think anyone else would.
     
     
  #9527  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 2:29 AM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
No one else would lol.

Did ya take a count!

Last edited by Black Star; May 18, 2017 at 5:01 AM.
     
     
  #9528  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 3:27 AM
itom 987's Avatar
itom 987 itom 987 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,086
Share it with the Arab world and I will start eating popcorn!

jk
     
     
  #9529  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 4:10 AM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Share it with the Arab world and I will start eating popcorn!

jk
I wondered about that...
     
     
  #9530  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 5:00 AM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
Don't be crazy 🞵🞵🞵.

Do that here or anywhere online and your asking for an amazing amount of 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵.

Use your head!
     
     
  #9531  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 1:10 PM
niwell's Avatar
niwell niwell is online now
sick transit, gloria
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roncesvalles, Toronto
Posts: 11,654
For some reason the thought of that image going viral on Middle Eastern Twitter and having some crazy group declare Jihad on SSP seems kind of hilarious. Of course in reality it probably wouldn't be...

I'd probably buy a mug or something if it was available!
     
     
  #9532  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 2:18 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,724
U of T usually builds some great structures, this is not one of them turning an already ugly intersection into an even uglier one.
All images from : urbantoronto.ca

The original design.



And what they are completing.




__________________
"Less is more" – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Last edited by TorontoDrew; May 18, 2017 at 2:37 PM.
     
     
  #9533  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 2:22 PM
niwell's Avatar
niwell niwell is online now
sick transit, gloria
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roncesvalles, Toronto
Posts: 11,654
Ugh yeah that building is awful - I see it in person when I choose to bike home via College street.

Was it actually developed by UofT or by a developer as a private student residence?
     
     
  #9534  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 2:44 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,724
No idea. Hopefully one day soon the west side gets blocked out by another tower but the East and South sides will almost always be visible. This structure is a huge failure.
__________________
"Less is more" – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
     
     
  #9535  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 2:51 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
For some reason the thought of that image going viral on Middle Eastern Twitter and having some crazy group declare Jihad on SSP seems kind of hilarious. Of course in reality it probably wouldn't be...

I'd probably buy a mug or something if it was available!
A controversial but nonetheless interesting sidebar to this is if such strong reactions (even aggressive ones?) to the sarcastic depiction of religious symbolism could be considered an acceptable subset or variant on "Canadian values"?
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
     
     
  #9536  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 3:01 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is online now
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Ugh yeah that building is awful - I see it in person when I choose to bike home via College street.

Was it actually developed by UofT or by a developer as a private student residence?
It's 100% private. UofT has nothing to do with it.
     
     
  #9537  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 3:12 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,724
I'd love to see that thing collapse over night. Of course not hurting anyone or any property near by. Thank you OMB for ignoring the cities application refusal here.
__________________
"Less is more" – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
     
     
  #9538  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 3:14 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is online now
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
No one else would lol.

Did ya take a count!

Why such confusion? I was replying to adding it to the database. There's only a handful of editors like myself and one or two that approve the drawings.
     
     
  #9539  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 3:22 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is online now
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I'd love to see that thing collapse over night. Of course not hurting anyone or any property near by. Thank you OMB for ignoring the cities application refusal here.
AFAIK, this was the result of a settlement after the original 40+ storey proposal was refused.

In any case, the OMB usually makes decisions based on zoning. If they overturned a rejection than there likely weren't solid grounds to reject it. This beast is the result of undefined zoning conditions which falls on the city's shoulders. The OMB is not to blame.
     
     
  #9540  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 3:36 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,724
I'm just going off a blurb I read over on UT. At any rate how does something so ugly get a building permit or even out of a CAD file?
__________________
"Less is more" – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:43 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.