Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown
It doesn't matter what he's saying because this issue was addressed by a group consisting of zoning experts and neighborhood residents who developed an overlay plan that is what we have.
I happen to think it is a good plan.
If you all wanted car-centric Miami like development like Waterfront Square to satisfy your height boners you should have moved to one of the affected neighborhoods, joined the group, and made it happen.
XOXO
|
Overall I agree. However I think it is totally misguided to view the waterfront as though it's one neighborhood or one community. What other neighborhood is an eight of a mile wide and stretches 10 miles long? It's nonsensical.
I-95 is terrible and cut the waterfront off from the neighborhoods these areas used to be a part of, but despite those challenges each section of the waterfront is still tied more closely to its former neighborhood than another random part of the waterfront. In other words, development on the waterfront adjacent to Old City has more to do with Old City than the waterfront in Port Richmond or Pennsport.
The overall plan for the waterfront is a good one. I totally disagree with those who categorized the height limits as some sort of NIMBY effort. The simple fact of the matter is that even in the midst of an incredible boom, the amount of demand on the waterfront remains minimal. Build a huge tower and it's going 🞵🞵🞵🞵 all that demand up and a towers surrounded by parking lots and big box stores is not the waterfront of my dreams. Much better to have more short buildings spreading that demand out.
HOWEVER. We can't kid ourselves and act as though demand for the waterfront adjacent to Old City and Society Hill is the same thing as demand for the waterfront adjacent to other parts of town. If you build shorter buildings in the waterfront adjacent to Old City that demand isn't necessarily going spread out elsewhere.
Next to Old City and Society Hill, based upon the success of One Water Street, seems to be the one part of the waterfront where there is legitimate demand. I do not think it is a coincidence that this is the one part of the city where projects like the Race St connector and existing I-95 caps have connected these parts of town to the waterfront better than any other part of the city. And that connection is about to get better with the newly planned I-95 cap. That demand shouldn't be wasted. Especially considering the fact that new highrises are so difficult to build in Old City and Society Hill because of lack of space and historic preservations.
So I totally agree that this zoning change for this ridiculous development are a terrible idea. That the project will likely never happen and if it does it will likely be bad for the waterfront overall. However you can't go with a one size fits all approach. Towers on the waterfront next to pennsport are inappropriate, but towers on the waterfront adjacent to that nice new cap of I-95 seem totally appropriate.