HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #481  
Old Posted May 14, 2017, 7:54 PM
TakeFive's Avatar
TakeFive TakeFive is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCO View Post
At least the Norman is still there. That's one of my favorite old apartment buildings in town and it still looks great on the outside, even if the inside isn't kept up so well from what I've heard.
Soo agree with this
__________________
Cool... Denver has reached puberty.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #482  
Old Posted May 15, 2017, 3:23 AM
RyanD's Avatar
RyanD RyanD is offline
Fast. Fun. Frequent.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,988
Here are some more photos. Agreed on the width, but I think they are impressive nonetheless. Also, they're much cheaper than the new apartments Downtown and my wife and I are seriously considering moving into these.

Country Club Towers













__________________
DenverInfill
DenverUrbanism
--------------------
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Last edited by RyanD; May 15, 2017 at 3:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #483  
Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:28 AM
TakeFive's Avatar
TakeFive TakeFive is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
my wife and I are seriously considering moving into these.
Photos are awesome.

That would be so cool if you two could live there.
__________________
Cool... Denver has reached puberty.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #484  
Old Posted May 15, 2017, 2:11 PM
RyanD's Avatar
RyanD RyanD is offline
Fast. Fun. Frequent.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,988
^It would be pretty fantastic, we are touring them tomorrow!

Also, look what's visible from Cherry Creek now!

__________________
DenverInfill
DenverUrbanism
--------------------
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #485  
Old Posted May 15, 2017, 5:17 PM
The Dirt The Dirt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,215
I love that smooth tapered look! That's gotta be a first for downtown, no?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #486  
Old Posted May 15, 2017, 5:49 PM
RyanD's Avatar
RyanD RyanD is offline
Fast. Fun. Frequent.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,988
These are sharp looking buildings and architecturally, I think they are a great win for Denver whether you agree with the massing / scale of the project or not. Just remember, they had the potential to be blah but came out nice.

__________________
DenverInfill
DenverUrbanism
--------------------
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #487  
Old Posted May 15, 2017, 7:57 PM
trubador trubador is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 196
So I was driving down I-25 from the north and the construction downtown is just absolutely incredible right now.

Here are some thoughts I had: 1144 15th is absolutely stunning. It is in a great position to dominate the skyline from the west. I can wait to see what the skyline looks like when unions station is fully built out.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think the confluence looks terrible from a distance, but looks much better as it gets closer. Maybe once it is finished it will look better, but it is hard to get the material textural elements from a distance.

Also the country club towers look awesome from the highway. They really stand out in that area and it has a nice little pocket of density. What I don't like is the 4 identical towers that are south of the country club towers. They look very soviet.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7017161,...itch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #488  
Old Posted May 16, 2017, 1:25 AM
CastleScott CastleScott is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sacramento Ca/formerly CastleRock Co
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
What I don't like is the 4 identical towers that are south of the country club towers. They look very soviet.
Those are the ones on the north end of Washington Park where the historic 14 story Park Lane Hotel once stood (demoed sometime back around 1967 or so as to make way for those 4 soviet looking towers).

Btw I can't wait to head down I-25 and look over downtown and those new high rises when I return hopefully sometime later this year..

Last edited by CastleScott; May 16, 2017 at 2:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #489  
Old Posted May 16, 2017, 2:51 AM
twister244 twister244 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,326
I agree with the opinion on 1144. I know I am not the only one twisting my neck every time I drive by/through downtown to see the latest impact it is having on the skyline. It is truly incredible to see the sea of cranes in downtown right now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #490  
Old Posted May 16, 2017, 4:28 AM
corey corey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 269
The Coloradan looks very nice. The glazed terra cotta tile is in my favorite color. Along with the Triangle Building it is probably the best building in Union Station.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #491  
Old Posted May 16, 2017, 6:20 PM
BG918's Avatar
BG918 BG918 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
ugh, those buildings have a pretty good chance of becoming a planning / design no-no poster child

up close it has some really nice elements.. but..there are so many issues (it's like it was designed by a calculus derivative...)
From some angles they are really colossal. Sort of reminds me of the Ryugyong Hotel in Pyongyang though rectangular instead of a big triangle.

That being said, I am fan of creating density in that area and hopeful it will be a node on a future rail transit route from downtown to Cherry Creek.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #492  
Old Posted May 16, 2017, 7:11 PM
mhays mhays is online now
Never Dell
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 21,262
Liking Country Club Towers.
__________________
"Alot" has never been a word.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #493  
Old Posted May 16, 2017, 8:23 PM
DenverPoke DenverPoke is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 357
Update on WTC Denver:

I don't have a sub to DBJ but it looks like NREL and UCAR have inked agreements. Sounds as if the project is moving forward, great news if true.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2...ional-research-labs-will-be-part-of.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #494  
Old Posted May 16, 2017, 10:37 PM
rds70 rds70 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,811
Building permit applications have been submitted to the City for 1800 Market.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #495  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:14 AM
Robert.hampton Robert.hampton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
ugh, those buildings have a pretty good chance of becoming a planning / design no-no poster child

up close it has some really nice elements.. but..there are so many issues (it's like it was designed by a calculus derivative...)

I agree. They immediately remind me of some run down 70's condos in the Miraflores district of Lima. Someone else said it hearkened back to buildings in North Korea. Neither is a good sign.............
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #496  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 4:32 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
ugh, those buildings have a pretty good chance of becoming a planning / design no-no poster child

up close it has some really nice elements.. but..there are so many issues (it's like it was designed by a calculus derivative...)
I wholeheartedly disagree about the design on country club towers.

As for the calculus derivative form... welcome to Denver. We have cubes plopped on cubes. Cruise ships. Not much different from the zoning-code-driven wedding cake towers of old New York. Except that our forms generally 🞵🞵🞵🞵.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #497  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:01 PM
mr1138 mr1138 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree about the design on country club towers.

As for the calculus derivative form... welcome to Denver. We have cubes plopped on cubes. Cruise ships. Not much different from the zoning-code-driven wedding cake towers of old New York. Except that our forms generally 🞵🞵🞵🞵.
Good point about the zoning. Same can be said of Haussmann's code in 19th century Paris "creating" the commonly used Mansard roofs. I think that Denver won some (the city got an up-zoning in many neighborhoods that needed it, and is getting much better building setbacks and site planning now), and lost some (BOXY buildings) with its new code, and it might now be time to take a look at what results the code is delivering and whether it could be tweaked.

As hard as I try, I cannot think of any way to stop the cruise ships using only zoning - short of implementing a maximum floor-plate size, which seems a bit too anti-capitalist for a place like Colorado and would drive up the cost of living even more.

I have wondered though - what about simply bringing back the concept of F.A.R. and always setting it just SLIGHTLY lower than what would otherwise be achievable under the allowable number of floors. For example, a site with zoning of C-MX-5 (5 stories allowed) could be given an F.A.R of 4.75. This way, it would be possible to bring back building forms like pitched roofs and terraces within the allowed building-envelope, but without making the developers feel like they MUST maximize all 5 floor plates to an F.A.R of nearly 5.0, which results in a boxy building form.

I also happen to quite like these new towers, and personally think the area between 1st and Bayaud could use a lot more towers. I am also quite curious if the new zoning code is flexible enough to allow re-zoning from MU to MX in a neighborhood like this which DESPERATELY needs more ground-floor retail.

Last edited by mr1138; May 17, 2017 at 5:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #498  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:35 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
As hard as I try, I cannot think of any way to stop the cruise ships using only zoning - short of implementing a maximum floor-plate size, which seems a bit too anti-capitalist for a place like Colorado and would drive up the cost of living even more.
Easy. Lots of cities have requirements for facade break-up/visual division of building frontages. Combine that with setbacks, and you're done.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #499  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:45 PM
mr1138 mr1138 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Easy. Lots of cities have requirements for facade break-up/visual division of building frontages. Combine that with setbacks, and you're done.
Facade break-up would be a good place to start. It's fundamentally different from actually having small buildings though, which I think should be the real goal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #500  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 6:44 PM
Scottk's Avatar
Scottk Scottk is offline
Denver
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 598
A target will be opening at 16th and California next year!


http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/16/target-downtown-denver-summer-2018/
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:59 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.