Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper
@Coldrsx
Edmonton can be something good or even better than its peers, I think the only problem is we cater opinions and ideas from people that aren't aware on what's happening on the international level. Public consultations here are a joke, we asks baby boomers and hipsters about their opinions, I know we should ask the taxpayers but in terms of design and trends, the city should asked people from the field that specializes that. We cater designs that are BS, look at RAM. The look of the museum is so boring that it looks like a 1980s mall with recent cheap upgrades.
We spend millions of dollars on public arts that are even not good, Public arts should be interactive and imaginative specially on parks yet the approved public arts in the elizabeth park are just lame.
|
We can certainly improve and become a more attractive, interesting, vibrant city...yes. The level of urban design and creativity has vastly improved, but we have issues of consistency. The RAM is BS? Hardly.
Art, let alone public art, is in the eye of the beholder and while I dislike some of what we have, I enjoy the majority of it and would say it is not much different than what I have seen on my travels around the world.
Can we do more, yes.
Are we making strides, yes.