Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff
People need to calm down and stop jumping to conclusions. That whole block along Sydney is protected and I've neither heard nor seen anything to indicate that anything is being torn down. As far as a parking structure in the surface lot behind the fire station......good for them! I don't see any other people lined up to develop anything in that area and if they want to spend their money I say bring it on.
|
Just to be clear, I never jumped to the conclusion that they would be torn down, but it is a [possible] negative IMO to have too many properties owned by a single entity in any neighbourhood of any city, especially one with generational poverty issues where diversified home ownership goes a long way to improving a community's resiliency and capacity for growth.
As for the parking garage, my concerns are the same as those I have about the JDI garage nearby. While parking structures are great in the sense that they should theoretically free up empty lots for development, that also highlights two other problems: 1) neither JDI or Irving Oil have never shown willingness to divest properties of any kind, limiting any potential in-fill to the city owned parking lots or the odd private lot in the area, 2) parking structures in an urban area should never be single-use structures, which the JDI one will be and the IOL one will potentially be. That block of King Street East is a critical piece for bridging the gap between the rest of the street and the Uptown and should have a strong development of mixed commercial, residential and retail uses along both King Street East and Leinster. We're talking about a block that borders on two of the nicest urban parks in Atlantic Canada (King's Square and the Loyalist Burial Ground) and contains some of our finest historical buildings (the courthouse and fire hall) and it should be leveraged as prime real estate to grow on Saint John's already phenomenal core, not simply provide parking.
Obviously we have yet to see or hear anything about plans for the block - which is also a concern IMO, as community consultation seems to be off the radar - so maybe it will be a large, mixed-use development with good urban form that respects the streetscape while still solving Irving's parking "problems". I reserve judgment until we are presented something concrete, I am merely stating my desire to see an already good development become a great one.