Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainguy
This is because more and more people are riding eastbound to KG to secure a seat and then head westbound. The same happens with the downtown stations where people ride to waterfront just to get a seat.
They obviously need more cars and increased frequency.
|
It's a recent issue (perhaps 5 yrs). I was at KG and a train came in with standing room only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771
Actually I think this has something to do with the schedule situation of the actual trains right now moreso than any actual issues of capacity...
With the changes done for Evergreen, peak hour service is actually running at somewhat less than the previous 108 second frequencies at peak hours right now on the Expo main-line. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but the trade-off is that Mark I trains are now consistently 6-car. There was a proposal to also cut the off-peak frequencies but TransLink changed their mind and did not proceed. The result is some trains will be serving more passengers than usual.
I have noticed these days is that there is more staggering of the trains during peak hours - so two or three trains are coming within close proximity of each other, with the first one coming out of King George extremely packed with the KG & SC commuters. This is a clear consequence of the schedule change, but the second train usually always has some space to get on board. I've been commuting during peak hours recently out of KG Station in the morning starting around 8AM and this is what I've been noticing.
With fleet expansion I think we can bring back peak service frequencies to pre-Evergreen levels, or start a set-up whereby the peak hour ratio of King George to Production Way trains is changed to 3-1 (so KG-KG-KG-PWU every 90 seconds, PWU every 6 minutes).
With the growth of Surrey as a City Centre I also see good plausibility of having through trains from Langley to Waterfront alternate with 2-car trains running from Langley to Surrey Central or Scott Rd only, to provide additional service to Surrey and along the corridor. This is a pretty common set-up on lines that span multiple cities in Japan, whereby massive 10 or 15-car through trains to the big city (i.e. Tokyo Station) go to/from an outer city terminus (i.e. Numazu in Shizuoka) at a set interval, but the majority of service is with smaller trains servicing the local area at a higher frequency. Those trains do offer service to a key station where the big trains to the city are running more frequently (i.e. from Numazu you take the small JR-Tokai operated 2-car train to Atami, then transfer cross-platform to the JR-east 15-car train to Tokyo).
|
The Expo Line is not futureproof. Development near station hubs will ultimately lead to overcrowding- and this is not decades away but perhaps 7-10 years away from being run at "crushload capacity" even with the 90 second frequencies. We've seen a difference 10 years has made SoF.....
There can be steps to retrofit portions of the line including spending an insane amount of money to add a third platform at Columbia and run a shuttle to Lougheed. This would allow for the Expo Line to run at max capacity.
I am not advocating for LRT in Surrrey but do think any extension needs to be carefully planned out.
Essentially, I will echo the sentiment that rapid bus service is needed between Surrey and Coquitlam, Surrey and Richmond and Surrey and Annacis Island.
Secondly, rapid rail service between Langley to Vancouver/Burnaby via Scott Rd needs to explored. Additionally, rapid rail should have been explored for Hwy 99 but alas, all levels of government seem totally unwilling to spend any money on rapid rail transit.
It is alarming seeing all the development SoF with no coherent transportation plan in place. The LRT touches just a tiny portion of the region, perhaps adding partial improvements with regards to capacity but it does nothing long-term and for most of Surrey.