Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe
As someone with the nickname "LRT's Friend", yyou are not very friendly to anything dealing with the LRT.
|
As I said, we have to proceed with what we are doing and hope for the best, but I have the right to be a skeptic about rebuilding exactly the same route when it comes to ridership growth. I hope it is a roaring success but I will only be convinced when I see the numbers.
As you have seen, I am all in favour building new routes, so don't say I am against LRT. If we had the money, I would want it on Baseline from Day one.
There needs to be healthy degree of skepticism. We are not doing what any other Canadian city is doing. We are rebuilding existing rapid transit. Think about other cities such as the recently opened Evergreen Line in Vancouver, Edmonton plans for completely new routes, the new planned SE to North route in Calgary, Eglinton Crosstown, Montreal's REM. All new routes designed to capture new ridership from the get go. Even Toronto's Go RER, although existing routes, will deliver faster and more frequent service and therefore more ridership. Our plans call for no improvement in frequency and a slight time saving that will be entirely lost for the majority who will now have an extra transfer.
I know I have been very critical about our plans. I have been very consistent about this for years. We needed the tunnel, no question, but investing almost everything in rebuilding the exact same route as we had before is questionable when it comes to growing ridership. I think our politicians are also quietly nervous to see the reaction of Ottawa residents in 2018.
This is a big 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵.
You are not the first to criticize me for my stance. Which is fine.