HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5841  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 2:24 AM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
I'd also disagree that the drive from Edmonton to Jasper is in any way nice at all. It's dreary, boring and long. I drive it to BC all the time, and for me the stretch from Edmonton Hinton is the absolute worst part of the 8 hour trip

If you are flying into Calgary and planning to visit Jasper you're much better off taking the parkway
     
     
  #5842  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 2:40 PM
noodlenoodle noodlenoodle is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,148
^ Amen.

When the wife & I toured Alberta last summer for our honeymoon I made sure the Jasper-Edmonton leg was the last & that we had something exciting to do in Edmonton to offset the terribleness of the drive. The trip up the Parkway was one of my wife's favourite experiences along the way. Hearing her oooh & ahhh as we rounded a bend was magical & made me appreciate the mountains all over again like when I was a kid.

Edson is an armpit crossed with a speed trap, dressed up like a town. Hinton smells. The only more boring & soul sucking of a drive for Edmontonians is the one to Calgary on the QE2.

(full route was Edmonton - Drumheller - Calgary - Banff - Lake Louise - Jasper - Edmonton)
     
     
  #5843  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 4:38 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
I actually prefer the drive to Calgary over the drive to Hinton. But that could be because I drove a large portion of it 3 times a week for years, I could probably drive it in my sleep
     
     
  #5844  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 1:12 PM
EDM753Fan EDM753Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: was Edmonton - now Regina
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlenoodle View Post

Edson is an armpit crossed with a speed trap, dressed up like a town.)
HAHA I like your description. Edson truly is a hole. I don't mind Hinton though, the views from there are nice. QEII isn't too bad either.... better than Edmonton - Lloydminster. Now THAT is lame.....
     
     
  #5845  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 9:22 PM
GreenSPACE's Avatar
GreenSPACE GreenSPACE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,865
     
     
  #5846  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 10:58 PM
MacLac MacLac is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Beaumont, AB
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlenoodle View Post
^ Amen.

When the wife & I toured Alberta last summer for our honeymoon I made sure the Jasper-Edmonton leg was the last & that we had something exciting to do in Edmonton to offset the terribleness of the drive. The trip up the Parkway was one of my wife's favourite experiences along the way. Hearing her oooh & ahhh as we rounded a bend was magical & made me appreciate the mountains all over again like when I was a kid.

Edson is an armpit crossed with a speed trap, dressed up like a town. Hinton smells. The only more boring & soul sucking of a drive for Edmontonians is the one to Calgary on the QE2.

(full route was Edmonton - Drumheller - Calgary - Banff - Lake Louise - Jasper - Edmonton)
You got get out more. Ever taken 95 between Vegas and Reno? Or the 10 between El Paso and San Anton? Those drives will kill you.......
     
     
  #5847  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 5:48 PM
cyeg66's Avatar
cyeg66 cyeg66 is offline
Contôleur aérien YYC
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Really, really north Leduc
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlenoodle View Post

Edson is an armpit crossed with a speed trap, dressed up like a town. Hinton smells. The only more boring & soul sucking of a drive for Edmontonians is the one to Calgary on the QE2.
Yes, don't get me started on Edson's speed trap record. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that's the (—)town's primary source of revenue. What a feckin' joke. And agreed with the latter part of your statement. I can't think of a more mind numbing drive than that down to YYC....
     
     
  #5848  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 8:00 PM
LO 044's Avatar
LO 044 LO 044 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,555
^I once had the pleasure of driving from Saskatoon to Regina. When i looked at the map, i saw that the roadway was twinned so i imagined it would be similar to driving Edmonton to Calgary with a decent amount of overpasses and lots of traffic. None of that. It looked like 1/3 the traffic of the YEG-YYC drive with hardly any turnoffs or anything to stimulate your mind. I think i fell asleep 3 times on the journey.
     
     
  #5849  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 6:08 PM
adam-machiavelli adam-machiavelli is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,246
How do you people think this will affect US-bound passenger levels?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/pre-clearance-border-canada-us-1.3976123
     
     
  #5850  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 11:52 PM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
How do you people think this will affect US-bound passenger levels?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/pre-clearance-border-canada-us-1.3976123
I am unaware of where Canada has its officers in an Airport in the USA to Preclear passengers to Canada. This was one statement in the article. I believe in reciprocity and Canada should also have Pre-Clearance at key major US airports and all other flights go to Canada Customs as an international flight.
     
     
  #5851  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 12:52 AM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,149
Came across this today while walking in the Quarters. I miss those free chocolate bars and real silverware.


https://twitter.com/IanOyeg
     
     
  #5852  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 7:13 AM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
I am unaware of where Canada has its officers in an Airport in the USA to Preclear passengers to Canada. This was one statement in the article. I believe in reciprocity and Canada should also have Pre-Clearance at key major US airports and all other flights go to Canada Customs as an international flight.
Landing into a domestic terminal hub, and leaving from the same lets one have sub 60 minute transfers in the USA though. Not sure adding complexity and needing dedicated swing gates would be an advantage at all.
     
     
  #5853  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 8:35 AM
Cage Cage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
How do you people think this will affect US-bound passenger levels?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/pre-clearance-border-canada-us-1.3976123
Bill C-23 will have no appreciable impact on US Bound pax levels.

I have completed many work visas; everything from a simple B-1 business visa, to a moderate TN Visa, to a complex L-1B and H-1B work visa.

When I was getting the complex work visas, I was always assured that if the interview went south, I could end the interview at any time by withdrawing my application and walking out of USCBP area.

Many people have figured out that it is easiest to obtain entry into the USA through Canadian preclearance airports because applicants can always withdraw without penalty or reprisal. Additionally, new entrants can continually adjust their applicant templates by using the free withdrawal provisions. Its harder to game the system on US soil because of the threat of detention.

Down the street from my house there is a bed and breakfast that processes 5-10 Indian and Pakistani H-1B applicants per month. Each applicant does their interview at YYC. If they fail, they return to the house and try again later.

Bill C-23 removes the ability to game/manipulate the USCBP system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
I am unaware of where Canada has its officers in an Airport in the USA to Preclear passengers to Canada. This was one statement in the article.
CBSA has permanent and temporary officers across the globe. I know there are permanent offices in HKG, PEK, LHR, FRA, etc. These officers do not preclear pax however they do question documentation and ask pax questions on foreign soil.

Its no stretch of the imagination that CBSA would do similar operations in the USA if they were allowed to.
     
     
  #5854  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 3:00 PM
YEGman YEGman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
^I once had the pleasure of driving from Saskatoon to Regina. When i looked at the map, i saw that the roadway was twinned so i imagined it would be similar to driving Edmonton to Calgary with a decent amount of overpasses and lots of traffic. None of that. It looked like 1/3 the traffic of the YEG-YYC drive with hardly any turnoffs or anything to stimulate your mind. I think i fell asleep 3 times on the journey.
Try driving between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay a few times. After a while it all becomes a blur of rocks, trees and streams making the drives that have been described above much more enjoyable.
     
     
  #5855  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 3:35 PM
Rocket252 Rocket252 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,861
^ The roads are good, the country is beautiful and you don't get mugged or carjacked like in some other countries.

Stop bitching.
     
     
  #5856  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 6:07 PM
McBoo McBoo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 747
Summer 2015 - drove the family out to Vancouver then let them fly home.

Me? Okanagan via Hwy 3 to buy some wine and then home 2-lane all the way. Hwy 2A north from Red Deer, my, how refreshing!
     
     
  #5857  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 7:50 PM
Rocket252 Rocket252 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,861
Would have been nice but not realistic in WestJet's world right now.
     
     
  #5858  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 12:17 AM
Cage Cage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,750
It is being reported on airwhiners.net that AMS is approaching its limit for number of flights per annum. Consequently the KLM VP of Network Planning has advised that KLM will be reducing seasonal frequencies to allow for the airline to grow.

Accordingly some facts I have been able to independently verify.
- The annual flight limit is 500,000 flights per annum. This limit is for all services, not just KLM.
- Capacity limits will continue until atleast 2020. Limits beyond 2020 is TBD.
- KLM has all ready ruled out starting up a complementary hub at Einhoven or Rotterdam (this was LH solution to capacity limits at FRA).

I'm NOT saying that YEG-AMS will be cut, but rather any future expectations for the route will have to be examined using the AMS noise restriction of 500k flights per annum.
     
     
  #5859  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 2:04 AM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
"Elbers accused Schiphol of being too generous with bonuses and discounts to attract new airlines such as Easyjet, Ryanair and Gulf state companies. He now wants new discussions with locals and the government about allowing more flights at Schiphol. Junior transport minister Sharon Dijksma has already said the current ceiling is ‘not sacrosanct,’ the AD said.

Cage, don't be a chicken little...the sky is NOT falling.

Read more at DutchNews.nl: KLM boss slams Schiphol for hampering the airline’s growth http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2017/01/klm-boss-slams-schiphol-for-hampering-the-airlines-growth"
     
     
  #5860  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 5:41 AM
BretttheRiderFan's Avatar
BretttheRiderFan BretttheRiderFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,667
I'm from Grande Prairie and am used to spending four hours on Highway 43.

The QE2, Hwy1, 16, etc is like going to Disneyland by comparison.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:18 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.