Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck
They sure are moving a lot of earth for that development.
I think it's ironic that IKEA - a furniture company that is probably one of the biggest symbols of a downscaled urban lifestyle, and "Europeanness" - exclusively builds its stores in the most sprawling, auto-dependent suburban locations imaginable.
I get that each store is also a self-serve warehouse, but a lot of people come in to IKEA to buy small household items. They could just have an "IKEA lite" for urbanites who want to buy bathmats or plates from the showroom, and give customers the option to order the larger furniture for delivery.
|
That's somewhat similar to what they're rolling out over the next while, though not for the benefit of "urbanites". Their plan was to open "IKEA lites" in markets they deem too small for a full-scale IKEA and stock them with ~100 of the most popular items, but to also have a show room and the ability to order in-store/online other items not normally kept on-hand in the warehouse.
I kind of forgot about that announcement... wonder where they're at with that.