HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2961  
Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 2:27 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
The Hamilton City Centre was pretty dead, but really interesting to look at. What Victoriaville would look like if it were built in 1990 instead of 1980, and also 3 storeys tall:



There was a store called Holt which looked like The Bargain Shop but run by a pack rat (they had CRT TVs for sale!) and a really large furniture store with no one in it. The most memorable store in that mall though was the rug store, staffed by a lone 7 foot tall man (North African or Middle Eastern I assume) who looked really angry.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2962  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 3:58 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065


I have redrawn three of Thunder Bay's 4 tallest buildings in Inkscape using the new measurements from Google Earth's 3D format.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2963  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 3:16 AM
swimmer_spe swimmer_spe is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 10,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post


I have redrawn three of Thunder Bay's 4 tallest buildings in Inkscape using the new measurements from Google Earth's 3D format.
Could you do that for the top 10 of our 5 major cities? It would be cool to see a side by side of those.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2964  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 4:08 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Of Northern Ontario's major cities? Until Timmins, North Bay and Sault Ste. Marie get 3D imagery it's going to be a bit inconsistent, I could adjust their diagrams based on my experience with the Sudbury and Thunder Bay diagrams but I don't want to change it and then have to change it again later on. I've already got a handful of diagrams in Winnipeg that are wrong and need fixing now too.

I am working on Thunder Bay and Sudbury. I've found a pretty efficient way of drawing these by measuring the buildings on Google Earth, creating line-art and then drawing in the details, so as long as I have the time over the winter, I should have a decent diagram soon. I plan on doing every Northern Ontario building (conventional building, I'm not drawing every mill and mineshaft) taller than 35m or 12 storeys for sure, plus any other shorter buildings that happen to be in the diagram already, as well as anything new that pops up in the future.

As for the ten tallest in Northern Ontario, click here. (I don't know how long that link will work btw, I forget how long the search IDs stay in effect.) The order isn't perfect but it's what we've got so far.

All diagrams I draw from this point on will be done the same way, so they'll have the same quality as the first two in that image above. I went above and beyond with the courthouse just because I really liked the design, from a diagram drawing standpoint. Waverley Tower was actually quite infuriating and I finished it without being completely happy with it so I might redo it but in the grand scheme of things, it's good enough for now. I'm going a 1px=1ft scale now (in vector, so I can get more detailed than that if I want or need to) and it's tolerable. The courthouse was literally done to the same scale that overview building plans are done and I added useless 🞵🞵🞵🞵 like security cameras and mailboxes as a result. Those items don't even show up in the diagram above, I mostly just included them for personal enjoyment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2965  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 6:24 AM
Loco101's Avatar
Loco101 Loco101 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Timmins, Northern Ontario
Posts: 9,018
I was going to ask about the Days Inn (originally Senator Hotel) in Timmins but that's awesome that you have it on there!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2966  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 11:32 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
It's been there for years, I draw that nearly 10 years ago!

I started drawing in late 2005/early 2006, and then stopped in 2007. I did a couple between then and now, and lately I've just felt like it again.

I have a thread for them here so we don't get too off topic: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=226378

Also, I can edit and add buildings to the database, so if there are any updates or corrections needed just let me know.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2967  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 2:18 AM
swimmer_spe swimmer_spe is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 10,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Of Northern Ontario's major cities? Until Timmins, North Bay and Sault Ste. Marie get 3D imagery it's going to be a bit inconsistent, I could adjust their diagrams based on my experience with the Sudbury and Thunder Bay diagrams but I don't want to change it and then have to change it again later on. I've already got a handful of diagrams in Winnipeg that are wrong and need fixing now too.

I am working on Thunder Bay and Sudbury. I've found a pretty efficient way of drawing these by measuring the buildings on Google Earth, creating line-art and then drawing in the details, so as long as I have the time over the winter, I should have a decent diagram soon. I plan on doing every Northern Ontario building (conventional building, I'm not drawing every mill and mineshaft) taller than 35m or 12 storeys for sure, plus any other shorter buildings that happen to be in the diagram already, as well as anything new that pops up in the future.

As for the ten tallest in Northern Ontario, click here. (I don't know how long that link will work btw, I forget how long the search IDs stay in effect.) The order isn't perfect but it's what we've got so far.

All diagrams I draw from this point on will be done the same way, so they'll have the same quality as the first two in that image above. I went above and beyond with the courthouse just because I really liked the design, from a diagram drawing standpoint. Waverley Tower was actually quite infuriating and I finished it without being completely happy with it so I might redo it but in the grand scheme of things, it's good enough for now. I'm going a 1px=1ft scale now (in vector, so I can get more detailed than that if I want or need to) and it's tolerable. The courthouse was literally done to the same scale that overview building plans are done and I added useless 🞵🞵🞵🞵 like security cameras and mailboxes as a result. Those items don't even show up in the diagram above, I mostly just included them for personal enjoyment.
If that is the case, then, please do just the ones that has 3d imagery.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2968  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 4:06 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
I'm sure Sault Ste. Marie will have it soon. I was honestly surprised Thunder Bay has it, since we're usually one of the last cities to get anything new from Google. We've got the oldest streetview imagery right now, 2012 when everywhere else has 2014 to 2016.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2969  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 4:21 PM
toaster toaster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I'm sure Sault Ste. Marie will have it soon. I was honestly surprised Thunder Bay has it, since we're usually one of the last cities to get anything new from Google. We've got the oldest streetview imagery right now, 2012 when everywhere else has 2014 to 2016.
Most of Timmins' streetview is from 2009.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2970  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 2:49 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065


I drew the old diagram for Tom Davies Square in late January 2007, so it's been nearly a decade. It's hard to believe I've been drawing these since 12 years ago.

I have started the remainder of the square (City Hall will be to the left, and the police HQ will be behind it), but as I've finished the main building that is actually in our diagrams, I'm going to do a couple more projects before returning to it, including one Northern Ontario building that isn't in the database just yet. (Because it was never built.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2971  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 5:35 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Last night I drove up Balmoral and noticed the structural steel is up for the new building being built on the edge of the McIntyre River. It will be 3 storeys.

--

My latest diagram, a cancelled proposal for Thunder Bay from the 1970s: http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=112853

Also, after some research, I've changed the Renaissance Tower proposal in Sault Ste. Marie to cancelled.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2972  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 9:36 PM
TbayON TbayON is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thunder Bay, NWO
Posts: 830
Cosmetics retailer Sephora is opening up a store in Intercity Mall. I would assume they will be renovating one of the vacant store fronts first. Also, Ben Moss, which used to have a location in Intercity Mall before filing for bankruptcy protection, has been purchased by Charm Diamond Centres. Apparently Charm will be re-opening 16 former Ben Moss stores almost immediately under the Ben Moss banner. No word if Thunder Bay is one of those 16 locations, but it does not yet appear on the updated website.

The renovation and addition to the former MNR building at LU is out for tender right now. Also hearing that the new manufacturing and technology building at Con. College should be underway this coming building season. A good part of the new Wellness Centre at Con. College has been framed up now.

TBT Engineering is putting up a new building at their Kingston St. facility at the moment.

MPP Bill Mauro has stated, in response to public criticism of Highway 61 safety, that the MTO had already begun a study of the route from the airport to Loch Lomand Rd. No word on the scope of the study, but it should be interesting to see what comes out of it. A four-laning recommendation would require a considerable investment given the Rosslyn overpass and Kam River bridge. I believe the MTO is going to try and opt for re-aligning Highway 61 along a different route, and try downloading the highway on to the city. The precedence set by the Pelican Falls Rd. decision near Sioux Lookout will complicate this type of plan for the MTO though (if the MTO opts for something like this).

Last edited by TbayON; Jan 12, 2017 at 9:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2973  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 1:51 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
The CP and Rosslyn Road bridges could be twinned, it's really only the CN underpass that's an issue, but the MTO has a pretty wide right-of-way through there and north of the CN underpass, the existing highway is only on one side of it.

They could run new southbound lanes to the west of the existing highway until the CN line, have the new southbound lanes bridge over the CN line while the northbound lanes (old highway) go under the railway, but then at that point the existing highway moves to the west side of the right-of-way, so they could re-align the southbound lanes to the old highway and divert the old highway to a new one on the east side of the right-of-way. Like the Current River Bridge, they could simply twin the Kam River Bridge. That would also add redundancy to the highway; in the event that one bridge is unusable, the second one can carry both one lane of both directions as a detour.

After the bridge the highway then shifts back over to the east side of their right-of-way (wondering now if this was done on purpose to make twinning it more difficult..) so they would have to appropriate a bit of land on the south bank of the river but I think that's city land anyway so it shouldn't be a problem. Continuing south, the existing highway bed carries northbound lanes while southbound lanes travel on a new highway built on the west side of the right-of-way, and continue that until just past Chippewa Road.

If there is no plan for a replacement of the swing bridge by the time they get this study underway, then they would probably highly benefit from a trumpet interchange at the 61/Chippewa Road intersection.

Between 15th Sideroad and Loch Lomond Road it probably doesn't have to be twinned, but it could definitely be 4-laned and perhaps reduce the speed limit to 80 since it's a more developed area.

Interchanges at Neebing/Walsh, Broadway, and Chippewa.


(the red dots don't mean anything, those are just the places I clicked to draw the path.)

There isn't really a viable alternate corridor for that highway, if Highway 61 got downloaded from Highway 130 to Harbour Expresway, it would still carry almost all southbound traffic. People aren't going to drive that far out of their way and backtrack twice a day just to travel 10km/h faster when they already speed on a regular basis. MTO doesn't really have much option but to keep Highway 61 where it is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2974  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:00 PM
TbayON TbayON is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thunder Bay, NWO
Posts: 830
I too didn't understand how the MTO would have an alternate Hwy 61 route available. I had heard from a credible source that the MTO was at one time looking at downloading the section of Hwy 61 in question and re-aligning the highway further west (so they basically had to only worry about longer distance traffic, not commuter traffic). This is why I believe downloading is still going to be looked at. I can't understand how they would have run something through the Hwy 130 and Twin City Crossroads area given the amount of dwellings and private land ownership in that area. This doesn't mean they wouldn't try though.

I also heard at one time the MTO had kicked the idea around of re-aligning all of Hwy 61 along the Lake Superior shoreline to mimic MN Hwy 61 along the Minnesota north shore. This was of course never seriously studied, but it does go to show that the MTO had no apprehensions about changing the route.

Last edited by TbayON; Jan 13, 2017 at 3:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2975  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 11:55 PM
LaurenN LaurenN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 7
Are they still building housing for DFC students on Churchill?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2976  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 3:37 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Apparently they're still working on funding as far as I know. It's not on-hold, it's just progressing very slowly.

The housing is still planned to be built on the southwest corner of the college property.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2977  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 3:09 PM
TbayON TbayON is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thunder Bay, NWO
Posts: 830
DFC residence has a better chance of going now under the current federal government's funding priorities (versus the previous federal government). Still far from being a reality though. Its money as usual that is holding things up.

==========

Hearing that the OPP Northwest Command that is currently located in Mini Queens on James St. may be on the move. Apparently it will be relocated to the former courthouse building on Arthur St. (at Kingsway). Other ministries would take over the vacated space at the James St. building. Substantial interior renovations will be required on the former courthouse building first.

Renovations have begun on the former LCBO store at Arthur and Mountdale. As previously posted, the building is becoming a medical clinic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2978  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 4:13 PM
TbayON TbayON is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thunder Bay, NWO
Posts: 830
The developer of the lands near the northwest corner of Aquamarine Dr. and Wardrope Ave. is asking the city for more time to get the next portion of that subdivision going.

If developed, this section of the Gemstone/Aquamarine/Ruby area would include 15 singe detached dwellings, up to 20 townhouses and 5 six-plexes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2979  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 2:38 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Sudbury

Quote:
Superstack to be decommissioned, but no immediate plans for demolition
'Hard to believe' Superstack could be gone one day: Sudbury MP Thibeault

CBC News Posted: Jan 24, 2017 10:04 AM ET Last Updated: Jan 24, 2017 11:40 AM ET

...

The construction of the new stacks will begin in 2017, the company said. But no plans have been announced for the Superstack's demolition. Instead, it will be placed in "care and maintenance mode" until a plan can be developed for what to do with the shell.

....

The 380 metre high Sudbury landmark — some would call it iconic — was built in 1970 by INCO to reduce environmental degradation in the city. INCO was purchased by Vale in 2006.

Talk of reducing the stack surfaced in 2014, when Vale studied the feasibility of reducing the size or eliminating it altogether.

...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/vale-announces-superstack-done-1.3949500
Good riddance or will it be missed?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2980  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 3:13 AM
swimmer_spe swimmer_spe is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 10,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Sudbury



Good riddance or will it be missed?
The structure will be missed, but the emission will not. It would be like going to Toronto and the CN Tower is no longer there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:49 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.