HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1121  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 8:03 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I remember seeing an original rendering of the tower some years ago which showed the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange logo on the short sides, and I thought it looked damn good.

As an aside, anyone else remember when the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange was still a thing? When I was a kid I used to love going downtown to the library to study or whatever, and I got a kick out of dropping by the trading floor viewing gallery around the closing bell when the traders were jumping around and shouting orders like madmen while the ticker numbers flashed. You can see the gallery behind glass to the upper left:



I presume that trading floor must have been in the windowless lower part of the tower... I wonder what's there now?
Pretty cool stuff. Didn't even know a place like that existed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1122  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 11:09 PM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I remember seeing an original rendering of the tower some years ago which showed the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange logo on the short sides, and I thought it looked damn good.

As an aside, anyone else remember when the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange was still a thing? When I was a kid I used to love going downtown to the library to study or whatever, and I got a kick out of dropping by the trading floor viewing gallery around the closing bell when the traders were jumping around and shouting orders like madmen while the ticker numbers flashed. You can see the gallery behind glass to the upper left:

Oh yes! I was a nerdy Alex P. Keaton type kid and I was very excited to see the trading floor. It wasn't nearly as lively as what I was imagining, but it was cool to go downtown and see it in action.

While we're on the subject, was there a similar trading floor in the old Grain Exchange Building? There must have been some lively trading in the early part of the 20th century before the Wheat Board was established. I've never seen a photo of the old exchange trading floor though.

edit:

Oh, I think I found a photo:



source: http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/mb_history/04/agriculturehistory.shtml
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1123  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 11:15 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ So it wasn't just me

The only time things really heated up reliably in the trading pit was in the 5 or 10 minutes from the closing bell... at least that's what my not so extensive observations led me to believe. The rest of the time it was fairly calm.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1124  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 11:36 PM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ So it wasn't just me

The only time things really heated up reliably in the trading pit was in the 5 or 10 minutes from the closing bell... at least that's what my not so extensive observations led me to believe. The rest of the time it was fairly calm.
Yeah, I remember timing our visit to coincide with the end of the session for maximum action.

Man, I love those state of the art looking computers in that photo!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1125  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 11:47 PM
Labroco's Avatar
Labroco Labroco is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Oh yes! I was a nerdy Alex P. Keaton type kid and I was very excited to see the trading floor. It wasn't nearly as lively as what I was imagining, but it was cool to go downtown and see it in action.

While we're on the subject, was there a similar trading floor in the old Grain Exchange Building? There must have been some lively trading in the early part of the 20th century before the Wheat Board was established. I've never seen a photo of the old exchange trading floor though.

edit:

Oh, I think I found a photo:



source: http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/mb_history/04/agriculturehistory.shtml
I wonder if this space still exists in the grain exchange bldg? ( If that's where the trading floor was).
It's all clear span space ...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1126  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 2:17 AM
Pinus Pinus is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I remember seeing an original rendering of the tower some years ago which showed the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange logo on the short sides, and I thought it looked damn good.

As an aside, anyone else remember when the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange was still a thing? When I was a kid I used to love going downtown to the library to study or whatever, and I got a kick out of dropping by the trading floor viewing gallery around the closing bell when the traders were jumping around and shouting orders like madmen while the ticker numbers flashed. You can see the gallery behind glass to the upper left:



I presume that trading floor must have been in the windowless lower part of the tower... I wonder what's there now?
It was, and still is a thing. As far as I understand, it's still Canada's only future's exchange. It's now all done electronically as opposed to a bunch of men screaming at the top of their lungs when prices rise or fall.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1127  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 4:32 AM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
It was, and still is a thing. As far as I understand, it's still Canada's only future's exchange. It's now all done electronically as opposed to a bunch of men screaming at the top of their lungs when prices rise or fall.
The Winnipeg Commodity Exchange and its trading floor are long gone... its successor is the ICE Futures Exchange which still has offices here, but is, as you point out, a much different animal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1128  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 2:20 PM
TimeFadesAway TimeFadesAway is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
I wonder if this space still exists in the grain exchange bldg? ( If that's where the trading floor was).
It's all clear span space ...
Isn't it where the Chamber of Commerce supper club, or whatever it's called is/was? I remember going to a wedding there about 20 years ago and hearing that it was the old trading floor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1129  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 2:39 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Isn't it where the Chamber of Commerce supper club, or whatever it's called is/was? I remember going to a wedding there about 20 years ago and hearing that it was the old trading floor.
Are you talking about Bergmann's on the 6th floor? The ceiling is standard height in there.

If anything I would have expected the trading floor to be fairly low, like main or 2nd floor...

Bergmann's:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1130  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 9:08 PM
TimeFadesAway TimeFadesAway is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Are you talking about Bergmann's on the 6th floor? The ceiling is standard height in there.

If anything I would have expected the trading floor to be fairly low, like main or 2nd floor...

Bergmann's:

If you look from the outside on the rear (white face) of the Grain Exchange, you can see that there are old 2 story windows that have now been divided spanning the 6th and 7th floors. I think those windows were for the 2 story trading floor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1131  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 9:20 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,930
^ According to this, you are correct.

Trading pit was on the 6th floor, and was filled in for a dining room.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1132  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 9:37 PM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,790
Yeesh! What a downgrade. From what I can see from the old photos, it was such a grand space. Now it looks like a cheesy 1980s restaurant in need of a makeover. Too bad the original space was lost.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1133  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 9:39 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Yeesh! What a downgrade. From what I can see from the old photos, it was such a grand space. Now it looks like a cheesy 1980s restaurant in need of a makeover. Too bad the original space was lost.
I imagine a lot of it is still there. Hidden by drywall and dropped ceilings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1134  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 9:55 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Yeesh! What a downgrade. From what I can see from the old photos, it was such a grand space. Now it looks like a cheesy 1980s restaurant in need of a makeover. Too bad the original space was lost.
Yeah, wow... what a grand space it could have been. Or has that missing part of the floor simply been filled in and converted to standard office space or whatever?

Good find, drew.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1135  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 10:24 PM
Gm0ney Gm0ney is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah, wow... what a grand space it could have been. Or has that missing part of the floor simply been filled in and converted to standard office space or whatever?

Good find, drew.
Yes, there's not much left of the old trading floor at the Grain Exchange but the windows.

The building just renovated their underground tunnel to Lombard Place and they have a lot of interesting pictures down there from the glory days.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1136  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 7:10 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
I believe one of the trading boards from there is hanging in RRC Roblin Centre
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1137  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 8:08 PM
optimusREIM's Avatar
optimusREIM optimusREIM is online now
There is always a way
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 3,284
Does anybody in the know have an idea when the project will actually get underway for 300 main?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1138  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 8:31 PM
lilwayne lilwayne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Does anybody in the know have an idea when the project will actually get underway for 300 main?
both 300 main st and skycity should be underway by may

and true north should be rising by may and be topped out by the fall

than the wag expansion should get underway soon.. hopefully more projects announced aswell.. such as the Sutton hotel.. I can see those getting underway at some point to but maybe not til 2018
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1139  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 10:46 PM
Wolf13 Wolf13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I remember seeing an original rendering of the tower some years ago which showed the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange logo on the short sides, and I thought it looked damn good.

As an aside, anyone else remember when the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange was still a thing? When I was a kid I used to love going downtown to the library to study or whatever, and I got a kick out of dropping by the trading floor viewing gallery around the closing bell when the traders were jumping around and shouting orders like madmen while the ticker numbers flashed. You can see the gallery behind glass to the upper left:



I presume that trading floor must have been in the windowless lower part of the tower... I wonder what's there now?
It's windowed, on the 4th floor at 360 Main... apparently Artis considered bringing in heavy steel to build another floor, but elected against it. So now that space just has a really tall ceiling and Artis' occupies it themselves.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1140  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 3:11 AM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:19 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.