HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #13161  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 5:34 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Took a ton of photo updates. Just uploaded them all. Enjoy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13162  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 6:22 AM
jjv007 jjv007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Took a ton of photo updates. Just uploaded them all. Enjoy
Thanks so much for the effort Summers, much appreciated!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13163  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 7:40 AM
SJBadger's Avatar
SJBadger SJBadger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pitman, NJ
Posts: 59
^You outdid yourself tonight, Summers. So many great photos. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13164  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 7:46 AM
GtownFriend GtownFriend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Boulder CO
Posts: 601
Likewise.. Appreciation and gratitude
A grand tour today
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13165  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 12:25 PM
Philly-Drew's Avatar
Philly-Drew Philly-Drew is offline
Φιλαδέλφεια
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoLibs
Posts: 1,395
Thanks Summers!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13166  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 12:46 PM
Plokoon11 Plokoon11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,698
Loving the updates! Thanks Summers!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13167  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 3:47 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Glad you guys enjoyed!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13168  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 1:39 AM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,627
]Fun question: If you had to pick between 1301 and 2100 getting built, which would you choose and why?[/SIZE]

Although I like the design of 2100 a lot more then 1301 (both are vague at best), more then anything presently being proposed, I'd vote for 1301. I think filling in the 'heart' of the City is more important then building around the edges (edges is a real relative term!). With the public trans options and the general new upbeat energy east of City Hall, I think that building 1301 would cause other projects to pick up speed.

BTW----in my dreams----this applies to 1301 and also Broad and Spring Garden, and other sites, I wish the City would give owners a generous zoning benefit if they made arrangements to have SEPTA entrances inside their new building envelope, and move them away from taking up sidewalk space. Now time to wake up and get back to the real world.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13169  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 1:09 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Business leaders: City government's red tape hurts Philadelphia's brand



http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...delphia-city-government-hurts-brand.html
Everyone, please write to and call your council members and push for overlay zoning at Schuylkill Yards.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13170  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 7:47 PM
Yurkek Yurkek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
]Fun question: If you had to pick between 1301 and 2100 getting built, which would you choose and why?[/SIZE]

Although I like the design of 2100 a lot more then 1301 (both are vague at best), more then anything presently being proposed, I'd vote for 1301. I think filling in the 'heart' of the City is more important then building around the edges (edges is a real relative term!).
I think the city desperately needs to save East Market street. It is perceived as Philadelphia's main street by many visitors and they get an impression that Philly is an undeveloped ghetto city. It is so close to the Independence Mall and other historic places.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13171  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 11:19 AM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurkek View Post
I think the city desperately needs to save East Market street. It is perceived as Philadelphia's main street by many visitors and they get an impression that Philly is an undeveloped ghetto city. It is so close to the Independence Mall and other historic places.
I agree. If it was a choice between 1301 and 2100 Market, I'd rather see 1301 go up first. I want to East Market revive as quickly as possible. I would also rather see the University super projects get underway to the extent there is limited commercial/office demand and 2100 Market follow once University City is a little further along.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13172  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 12:55 PM
EastCoastAmerican's Avatar
EastCoastAmerican EastCoastAmerican is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 21
Originally posted by summersm343
Business leaders: City government's red tape hurts Philadelphia's brand

My friend tried to open a small stand at the Chestnut Hill Farmer's market a couple of years ago and eventually gave up because of all the red tape. "It's like they don't want your business," he said to me after he set up shop somewhere else.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13173  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 1:38 AM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro
Posts: 10,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurkek View Post
It is perceived as Philadelphia's main street by many visitors and they get an impression that Philly is an undeveloped ghetto city.
That's a pretty accurate impression, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13174  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 2:19 AM
jjv007 jjv007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I know this is old and random but it would be a dream if something like this could happen in my lifetime. I think the city should set a project like this as a long-term goal at least.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13175  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 4:46 AM
PhilliesPhan's Avatar
PhilliesPhan PhilliesPhan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
I know this is old and random but it would be a dream if something like this could happen in my lifetime. I think the city should set a project like this as a long-term goal at least.
The city should hop on planning to get this done sooner than later! It is actually pretty shameful that seemingly nobody with the power to make this happen is jumping on this opportunity as the reconstruction of I-95 eventually creeps southward. I wish that somebody would try to negotiate getting at least some work done for the eventual build-out of this concept, similar to getting a project to be "shovel-ready" for when funds are available.

Despite what I just said, I do have hope that I will see I-95 and/or the Vine Street Expressway capped in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13176  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 1:11 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
I know this is old and random but it would be a dream if something like this could happen in my lifetime. I think the city should set a project like this as a long-term goal at least.
Agree. They were built in a different era when priorities and thoughts about a proper urban city were different, so I don't necessarily blame them, but it is a damn shame how we cut off river access with highways and railroads. It would be truly great to largely reclaim our rivers and have buildings and/or parks abutting them directly like Chicago. What location is this render supposed to be depicting? Penn's Landing?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13177  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 1:16 PM
1487 1487 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
This is what I mean by lack of forward thinking in this city. It really doesn't have to do with individual building projects or things of that nature, those are just potential extensions.
We have groups planning big things for West Philly and the city as a whole and instead of helping facilitate the massive project and doing whatever it can to encourage forward progress, city government is more of a barrier. This has got to change. Admittedly, I don't know exactly how but the status quo mentality just has to go.
funny you would say that just as zoning changes for schulkyll yards is being pushed through the PCPC. No major real estate developments or business developments get done here without SOME assistance and/or funds by the city or state government. Look at the FOP. You think PREIT thinks the City is anti business?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13178  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 2:47 PM
Redddog Redddog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Agree. They were built in a different era when priorities and thoughts about a proper urban city were different, so I don't necessarily blame them, but it is a damn shame how we cut off river access with highways and railroads. It would be truly great to largely reclaim our rivers and have buildings and/or parks abutting them directly like Chicago. What location is this render supposed to be depicting? Penn's Landing?
Yes. Penn's Landing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13179  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 2:49 PM
Groundhog's Avatar
Groundhog Groundhog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
What location is this render supposed to be depicting? Penn's Landing?
Yep, that's Penn's Landing. There's a couple other dreamy renderings here to go along with the one already posted: http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.com/planning/penn-s-landing-feasibility-study/public-space

I'm a big fan of the South Street Pedestrian Bridge extension. We need more unique structures like that in highly visible places.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13180  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 2:51 PM
Redddog Redddog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I agree. If it was a choice between 1301 and 2100 Market, I'd rather see 1301 go up first. I want to East Market revive as quickly as possible. I would also rather see the University super projects get underway to the extent there is limited commercial/office demand and 2100 Market follow once University City is a little further along.
Honestly, looking closely, there's really only about a block and a half (say...from 8th to 10th on the south side) that has the ghetto look. Fill in 13th and the Disney hole and it's actually closer than you think. And I believe that Preit already owns a bunch of the ghetto lookin' properties in that stretch.

It does seem to be turning slowly, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:57 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.