HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #13141  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 9:38 PM
wondertwinalpha wondertwinalpha is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
Apparently I did something wrong because I was trying to ask for information pertaining to that huge surface
lot between Cherry and Cuthbert just west of 23rd. street.
See this thread for the current plans for this lot.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=210203
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13142  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 9:58 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Fairly significant role in their lives is not what is being presented, which in and of itself is debatable. The claim here is that the two primary founding documents of this country were heavily influenced by the Bible.

The philosophical writings of John Locke, the Virginia Constitution, Athenian democracy, Roman Republic, British court system, etc. These are some of the influences that heavily shaped these two primary founding documents. Although the majority of our founders were Christian in some sense, some of the core principles of the Enlightenment time period was actually a step away from church led thinking.

Revisionist history? This information comes directly from the personal writings of Thomas Jefferson and James Madison and others. I have no vendetta against anyone. I simply don't appreciate this misrepresentation of the past. And it's especially disturbing to be presented steps away from where this country was actually created. There. Now I'm really done.
This discussion is getting out of hand, and, if you weren't "really done," we could continue it elsewhere. However, it would be nice if you weren't selective in your assertions and quasi-citations. It's not like Locke, the Common Law, or any of the Founders sprung up in a vacuum. They are the product of what has been a (publicly) Christian-influenced civilization since the reign of Constantine . It's not like there's one claim to what is "church led thinking" since the Great Schism or Protestant Reformation either. The thoughts of Washington and Adams would be worth considering as well. American never had a specific creed, but it doesn't mean that it had none. As a Roman Catholic, I could find fault with how the Protestant ABS interprets things, I'm sure, but I'm not out to pick a fight with those who don't agree with me. I'm happy that they have the freedom to tell their story.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13143  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 10:25 PM
allovertown allovertown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
This discussion is getting out of hand, and, if you weren't "really done," we could continue it elsewhere. However, it would be nice if you weren't selective in your assertions and quasi-citations. It's not like Locke, the Common Law, or any of the Founders sprung up in a vacuum. They are the product of what has been a (publicly) Christian-influenced civilization since the reign of Constantine . It's not like there's one claim to what is "church led thinking" since the Great Schism or Protestant Reformation either. The thoughts of Washington and Adams would be worth considering as well. American never had a specific creed, but it doesn't mean that it had none. As a Roman Catholic, I could find fault with how the Protestant ABS interprets things, I'm sure, but I'm not out to pick a fight with those who don't agree with me. I'm happy that they have the freedom to tell their story.
Very thoughtful and well reasoned post. I too am happy they can tell their story, I'm just worried from the quotes that their story will trend towards make believe.

Obviously I'm a bit of history nerd and have nothing better to do, so I'd love to continue this with someone such as yourself. But I can't figure out the private message function here if there is one. Send me one if you know how.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13144  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 10:32 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Very thoughtful and well reasoned post. I too am happy they can tell their story, I'm just worried from the quotes that their story will trend towards make believe.

Obviously I'm a bit of history nerd and have nothing better to do, so I'd love to continue this with someone such as yourself. But I can't figure out the private message function here if there is one. Send me one if you know how.
Peace. I know how to reply if somebody PM's me first (as our esteemed moderator has), but have no idea how to initiate a PM to someone else. I like history too, but with five kids and twins on the way, I usually DO have something better to do. :-)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13145  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 10:40 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Peace. I know how to reply if somebody PM's me first (as our esteemed moderator has), but have no idea how to initiate a PM to someone else. I like history too, but with five kids and twins on the way, I usually DO have something better to do. :-)
Holy Cow...Knight! You sure know how to buck the trend of the common nuclear family plus 2 descendants. You know you can persuade them in the future to be an architect, developer, investor, construction manager, so on and so forth. Congrats and good luck on the newborns.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13146  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 11:09 PM
allovertown allovertown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Peace. I know how to reply if somebody PM's me first (as our esteemed moderator has), but have no idea how to initiate a PM to someone else. I like history too, but with five kids and twins on the way, I usually DO have something better to do. :-)
WOW. We're actually expecting our first, so i imagine my free time will soon shrink drastically haha. Congrats on the good news!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13147  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 1:49 AM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
Thanks, folks!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13148  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 2:03 AM
Hrytsyu Hrytsyu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
It's their own moolah, then they can do whatever they want with it. If the baby Jesus wants the most cost-inefficient museum ever built, then that's what the baby Jesus will get.
I just spoke with Jesus and he said he intends to sign Constitution in museum virtual reality; and underline separation of church and state.

He also said my comment is on topic for skyscraper page. So there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13149  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 2:14 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Proposed office developments popping up throughout the city

Quote:
While new apartment development has taken center stage in Philadelphia for the last several years, the prospect of new office space has started to come onto the scene.

More than 1.6 million square feet of new office space in three projects has recently been proposed for the Center City market. Oliver Tyrone Pulver announced in December it wanted to construct a 38-story, 840,000-square-foot office tower on a surface lot at 13th and Market streets. This week, Parkway Corp. disclosed it has drawn up plans for an 18-story, 586,000-square-foot office building at Broad and Spring Garden streets. And, PMC Property Group is spending an estimated $120 million in a gut renovation of what has rebranded as Franklin Tower at 16th and Race streets. Of its 600,000 square feet, PMC is dedicating 200,000 square feet for office space and the remainder will be turned into 360 apartments.

These projects don’t include those proposed in University City such as 3400 Market St. and 3800 Market St., which are in pre-development but are being marketed to tenants. The downtown office market may be having a moment where new office construction may be warranted. The overall vacancy rate is 11 percent, according to CBRE Inc.’s fourth quarter data and others peg it at below 10 percent. Rents are also on the rise.

“Rates are going up in almost every building,” said Joe Muldoon, a broker with Avison Young. “It’s the best market I’ve seen. It’s just amazing. Normally, some A buildings raise rents but almost all of the office buildings are raising rents.”

The office space at Franklin Tower is more imminent than the other projects being floated and will be completed this fall. It joins a short but growing list of mixed-use buildings in Philadelphia with office components. FMC Tower at Cira Centre South and the new Comcast building were designed that way. “We find in our other markets that it works very well,” said Adriano Calvanese of PMC.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...-developments-popping-up-throughout.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13150  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:10 AM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrytsyu View Post
I just spoke with Jesus and he said he intends to sign Constitution in museum virtual reality; and underline separation of church and state.

He also said my comment is on topic for skyscraper page. So there.
You might want to have him INSERT separation of Church and State, because it's not in there. ;-)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13151  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:11 AM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Proposed office developments popping up throughout the city



http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...-developments-popping-up-throughout.html
That's very encouraging.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13152  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 1:08 PM
1487 1487 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
That's very encouraging.
I'd say its a race to nab whomever is likely to be the next big tenant. Whoever gets the deal will see their building built- aside from One Franklin Tower of course. I would think that building is at an advantage because a)it will be ready by late 2017 and b)the owner should be able to charge less since it's not ground up construction. But 2100 and 1301 are likely going to be fighting for the same deals.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13153  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:00 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
I'd say its a race to nab whomever is likely to be the next big tenant. Whoever gets the deal will see their building built- aside from One Franklin Tower of course. I would think that building is at an advantage because a)it will be ready by late 2017 and b)the owner should be able to charge less since it's not ground up construction. But 2120 and 1301 are likely going to be fighting for the same deals.
Fun question: If you had to pick between 1301 and 2100 getting built, which would you choose and why?

I'm leaning towards 1301 slightly because I hate that parking lot and it's in such a prominent location. But 2120's design (if the concept renderings are to be believed) is pretty cool and would probably make a bigger impact on the skyline. I'm really torn.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13154  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:23 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
I'd say its a race to nab whomever is likely to be the next big tenant. Whoever gets the deal will see their building built- aside from One Franklin Tower of course. I would think that building is at an advantage because a)it will be ready by late 2017 and b)the owner should be able to charge less since it's not ground up construction. But 2100 and 1301 are likely going to be fighting for the same deals.
I've just been concerned that almost everything built (except a tower by MEGACORP) is eds/meds/residential. I'll take upbeat commercial news where I can get it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13155  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:24 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Fun question: If you had to pick between 1301 and 2100 getting built, which would you choose and why?

I'm leaning towards 1301 slightly because I hate that parking lot and it's in such a prominent location. But 2120's design (if the concept renderings are to be believed) is pretty cool and would probably make a bigger impact on the skyline. I'm really torn.
How about half of each?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13156  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 7:26 PM
Gonzo the Great's Avatar
Gonzo the Great Gonzo the Great is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the Henson Galaxy
Posts: 478
[QUOTE=McBane;7676787]Fun question: If you had to pick between 1301 and 2100 getting built, which would you choose and why?


Damn good thing I don't have the deciding vote . In MHO , there is no contest because
1301 wins this debate every day of the millennium .... Not that anyone controlling the
progress of either project gives a — about what I think but , I choose anything on East
Market ( at or above 500' ) over the staggered box rendering showing what 2100 might look
like .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13157  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 10:58 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Business leaders: City government's red tape hurts Philadelphia's brand

Quote:
Drexel University’s ambitious president – currently leading the school in an overhaul of a huge chunk of West Philadelphia – said city government is often a road block on the city’s path to economic success.

“You should see what we go through trying to do good things in West Philadelphia," John Fry, the school's leader since 2010, said. “No good deed ever goes unpunished. You know we’re trying to move things forward with building projects … I think a lot of people eventually get fed up … and want to go elsewhere."

The comments came in response to a question at the Philadelphia Business Journal’s Economic Forecast 2017 event about obstacles to improving Philadelphia’s business brand. The panel was called "Philadelphia's Brand: What Is It and What Should It Be?"

Fry, who is also the chairman of the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce, said bureaucracy emanating from City Hall has not been helpful as the school has embarked on an aggressive growth plan in West Philadelphia.

Asked specifically about Drexel’s current projects, Fry said there are a number of things the school is trying to do that would bring both new companies and jobs to the city, such as the former University City High School and Schuylkill Yards projects.

“And honestly they’re complicated because of all the zoning,” Fry said. “For example, we weren’t able to achieve overlay zoning at Schuylkill Yards. They’re literally making us go parcel by parcel or two or three, which is ridiculous.

“It makes it more complicated. It’s hard to get out the entire story of what we want to do over the next 20 years around 30th street station, you have to do it in phases, and frankly those phases are constrained by some of the politics in terms of getting approvals. I mean, there’s no reason for that.”

As for the project at the University High School Site, he said there’s also been what he termed unnecessary complexities to doing business.

“I mean this stuff is hard enough as it is in terms of raising money, and putting together groups and attracting businesses … I don’t think we should have to put up with all the other nonsense we have to put up with,” said Fry, who then thanked Councilman-at-Large Allan Domb, who was present at the event, for his help in “cutting out” some of the nonsense. “We really appreciate it.”

“You see what the possibilities are, why are we holding ourselves back?”

Cozen O’Connor CEO Michael Heller also took aim at City Hall. He said the biggest obstacle to enhancing the city’s brand is its high business tax burden and some of the laws passed by city council that have been viewed as anti-business, such as the recent one that prohibits employers from asking job applicants about salary history. Comcast Corp. and the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce are mounting a late challenge, threatening to file a lawsuit if Mayor Jim Kenney signs it into law.

Heller said to make the city more hospitable to businesses and improve the public school system, there needs to be a fresh perspective on city council.

“We [in the business community] need to support candidates for city council that understand business,” Heller said. “We need to focus on local government because we don’t know what’s going to happen with Trump.”

Fry said one thing that could open up the city’s brand to the rest of the world is high-speed rail that could shorten trips to New York to 38 minutes and Washington to an hour. Enhancements to Philadelphia International Airport would also be a help.

When asked if sports matters as part of the overall brand, Heller emphatically said yes, noting the spike in applications at Villanova University since the men’s basketball team won the national championship last spring.

As for what they would do to improve the city’s brand, Cuddy said he would focus on improving the schools and eliminate a third of what he said were 1.6 million parking tickets issued last year, which he said has disproportional effects on small businesses. Forman also mentioned improving the public schools and enhancing cooperation among the city’s large institutions.

Heller re-emphaszied pushing for more business-friendly city council members and joked that the 76ers should loosen the team’s log jam at center by trading both Jahlil Okafor and Nerlens Noel.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...delphia-city-government-hurts-brand.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13158  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 11:23 PM
jjv007 jjv007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I've just been concerned that almost everything built (except a tower by MEGACORP) is eds/meds/residential. I'll take upbeat commercial news where I can get it.
Yes very true, hopefully we can start a boom of sustainable commercial construction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13159  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 11:31 PM
jjv007 jjv007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 669
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Business leaders: City government's red tape hurts Philadelphia's brand



http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...delphia-city-government-hurts-brand.html
This is what I mean by lack of forward thinking in this city. It really doesn't have to do with individual building projects or things of that nature, those are just potential extensions.
We have groups planning big things for West Philly and the city as a whole and instead of helping facilitate the massive project and doing whatever it can to encourage forward progress, city government is more of a barrier. This has got to change. Admittedly, I don't know exactly how but the status quo mentality just has to go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13160  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 5:22 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
One Franklin Tower - 16th and Race - office/luxury apartments/retail - redevelopment





Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:22 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.