HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1221  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 8:09 AM
scryer scryer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,964
I really hope that the resort pulls through. Kelowna can really use a resort like that to help diversify its economy a little towards the tourism sector. Not that I think that BC should just be the "tourism" province but Kelowna has a lot of appealing elements that make it a unique combination of Napa Valley and Palm Springs, only smaller. Just my opinion though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1222  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 1:10 AM
Ogopogo Fan's Avatar
Ogopogo Fan Ogopogo Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 174
Work started about a week ago at 1151 Sunset (former Lucaya).

Lots of movement on site, seems to be progressing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1223  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 5:43 PM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kelowna BC & Edmonton AB
Posts: 4,301
Hoping the zebra mussels don't make their way to Okanagan Lake which could dampen our tourism industry...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1224  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 10:26 PM
Papabear1 Papabear1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 34
Proposed 12 storey at Prospera

Link to text amendment to allow for development at Prospera Place. Property is directly across the street from the current rezoning application on the former Westin property.

http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevApps/TA16-0014%20Ellis%20St%201232.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1225  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 12:38 AM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is offline
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Hoping the zebra mussels don't make their way to Okanagan Lake which could dampen our tourism industry...
I think it's an inevitably at this point. Hopefully, the affected provinces and states in NA, can come together financially, and put money towards finding an environmentally-friendly way of dealing with them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1226  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 10:23 PM
Ogopogo Fan's Avatar
Ogopogo Fan Ogopogo Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear1 View Post
Link to text amendment to allow for development at Prospera Place. Property is directly across the street from the current rezoning application on the former Westin property.

http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevApps/TA16-0014%20Ellis%20St%201232.pdf
Neat, I had not idea anything was planned for that site. That area is going to be pretty dense if this and the development across the street goes through.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1227  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 7:03 AM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,729
Hi everyone.

Just thought that I would say hello. I've just moved to Kelowna today from Vancouver. I'm an urban planner (private sector consultant) and have been pretty active in the Vancouver sub-forum for that last 10 years or so. Looking forward to getting the know the city and learn more about what's in the pipeline for the years ahead. Not sure of meet-ups (of the beer variety) are a thing in this sub, but I'd love to say hello in person if anyone is up for it some time over the holidays.

SFUVancouver.
__________________
VANCOUVER | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1228  
Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 12:53 AM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is offline
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Hi everyone.

Just thought that I would say hello. I've just moved to Kelowna today from Vancouver. I'm an urban planner (private sector consultant) and have been pretty active in the Vancouver sub-forum for that last 10 years or so. Looking forward to getting the know the city and learn more about what's in the pipeline for the years ahead. Not sure of meet-ups (of the beer variety) are a thing in this sub, but I'd love to say hello in person if anyone is up for it some time over the holidays.

SFUVancouver.

Congrats on the move, SFUVancouver! Kelowna is my hometown, and I always try to get back at least once every two years (not enough, but the Pacific Ocean is a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵). I'll be back this summer for a decent stint, so I'm down for a Kelowna meet-up sometime between June-August.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1229  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 10:17 PM
Emtee Emtee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 116
Rendering of the proposed development from the development sign on 1187 Sunset Dr (the big pile of fill at the corner of Clement & Sunset/Ellis.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1230  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 5:02 AM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kelowna BC & Edmonton AB
Posts: 4,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Hi everyone.

Just thought that I would say hello. I've just moved to Kelowna today from Vancouver. I'm an urban planner (private sector consultant) and have been pretty active in the Vancouver sub-forum for that last 10 years or so. Looking forward to getting the know the city and learn more about what's in the pipeline for the years ahead. Not sure of meet-ups (of the beer variety) are a thing in this sub, but I'd love to say hello in person if anyone is up for it some time over the holidays.

SFUVancouver.
Hey! Missed this. I'm certainly up for some brewskis.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1231  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 12:08 PM
uzi's Avatar
uzi uzi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,647
does anyone know about this 1000-1060 Manhattan Drive?

[IMG]20170108_033536 by Uzair Shahid97, on Flickr[/IMG]
__________________
RESPECT FOR EVERYONE
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1232  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 10:20 PM
KevD's Avatar
KevD KevD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Edmonton (Hometown: Kelowna)
Posts: 110
Pretty stoked to see this "old westin" site up for development again. Looks like some of you are on the ball more than me but here's another picture of the development sign i took today.
Looks like two 15 storey towers. A good use of the site I'd say. Wouldn't mind seeing one of them a bit taller.. like 22 and 15, something like that.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1233  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 11:39 PM
Emtee Emtee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
does anyone know about this 1000-1060 Manhattan Drive?
Yeah, we discussed it in this thread a while ago. Argus proposed that hotel, which the City supported, but there was some disagreement over payment for road improvements.

Here are a couple articles about the projects demise:

https://www.kelownanow.com/news/news/Loc..._Shelved_for_26_Storey_Hotel_in_Kelowna/
http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/article_04e5cf4a-7a82-11e4-888c-a7e1cd015e50.html

A key quote from the second one:

Quote:
But company officials say they expect the project will still go ahead if some outstanding issues with the city can be resolved. One apparently contentious point is how much the company is being asked to pay for road improvements in the area.
“We've got a few off-site servicing issues that we're still working through,” said Darren Schlamp, Argus' development manager. “We're pretty positive these issues can be resolved.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1234  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 6:39 AM
uzi's Avatar
uzi uzi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,647
ohhhh.....thanks.
__________________
RESPECT FOR EVERYONE
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1235  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 10:58 PM
Papabear1 Papabear1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD View Post
Pretty stoked to see this "old westin" site up for development again. Looks like some of you are on the ball more than me but here's another picture of the development sign i took today.
Looks like two 15 storey towers. A good use of the site I'd say. Wouldn't mind seeing one of them a bit taller.. like 22 and 15, something like that.

Target is 2 - 16 storey towers, one rental the other condo. Proposed for a grocery store on the ground level as well if I remember.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1236  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 12:40 AM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is offline
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,751
Seeing as rentals in Kelowna are hard to come by these days, at least one of these towers has a good chance of being built.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1237  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 12:51 AM
Rollerstud98 Rollerstud98 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,820
What is already being built just in behind these two towers? I don't get out there often but I remember it being at a standstill for a while but started up again this year I believe?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1238  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 4:18 PM
Papabear1 Papabear1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
What is already being built just in behind these two towers? I don't get out there often but I remember it being at a standstill for a while but started up again this year I believe?
It is the new 1151 Sunset tower. See back on page 60. Nice development
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1239  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:04 AM
KevD's Avatar
KevD KevD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Edmonton (Hometown: Kelowna)
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear1 View Post
It is the new 1151 Sunset tower. See back on page 60. Nice development
Correct. Also called "Skye" tower. The focal point of the waterscapes development.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1240  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 5:39 AM
Ogopogo Fan's Avatar
Ogopogo Fan Ogopogo Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD View Post
Correct. Also called "Skye" tower. The focal point of the waterscapes development.
Skye tower is the already-constructed tower in the photo. 1151 is the foundation that appears as a grey area north of the proposed development and south of Ospreys which are the buildings with the red roofs in the photo.

1151 is now working on floor 2 above grade.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:56 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.