HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2261  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 8:07 PM
CalgaryAlex's Avatar
CalgaryAlex CalgaryAlex is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
Any updates on the crown? ProducePrincess spoke of some light blue panelling that could be installed...?
I just took a look and there aren't any new panels up in the crown. The glass mentioned may have just been for the inside of the rounded portion at the top. In fact, the scaffolding in the corners is all down and work seems to be complete.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2262  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 11:45 PM
KoolKool's Avatar
KoolKool KoolKool is offline
Bla Bla
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Park
Posts: 517
what about the bottom ?



Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlex View Post
I just took a look and there aren't any new panels up in the crown. The glass mentioned may have just been for the inside of the rounded portion at the top. In fact, the scaffolding in the corners is all down and work seems to be complete.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2263  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 3:33 PM
CalgaryAlex's Avatar
CalgaryAlex CalgaryAlex is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKool View Post
what about the bottom ?
Haven't seen the bottom for a couple weeks, other than some quick glances out of the ctrain window.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2264  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 3:18 AM
patm patm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 639
Yeah, I saw what I thought was decorative lighting in the crown last night (that was nothing special).

Honestly, if they're done then thats a huge disappointment. I'd say for its prominance that its easily the ugliest building in our skyline. That crown is just awful.

Surely someone at Brookfield must see that? Someone start a GoFundMe to paint that stupid panelling.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2265  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 2:50 PM
dbp dbp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 96
Unhappy Brookfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
Yeah, I saw what I thought was decorative lighting in the crown last night (that was nothing special).

Honestly, if they're done then thats a huge disappointment. I'd say for its prominance that its easily the ugliest building in our skyline. That crown is just awful.

Surely someone at Brookfield must see that? Someone start a GoFundMe to paint that stupid panelling.
I hate to say it but she's looking pretty done to me as well. I also totally agree with petm; what was initially a sleek, soaring beautiful tower has ended up an eyesore with a crown that detracts from the beauty of the tower! I suspect the crown may look awesome at night but much less than awesome during the day. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2266  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 8:00 PM
the.tru.albertan the.tru.albertan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 197
I have to agree. Great looking tower but the crown doesn't follow up the beauty. (If it's actually finished I guess.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2267  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 10:25 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
I don't see any rush to skin the inside of the crown. It's purely for aesthetics. Is any part of the building even ready for occupancy?

PLEASE! Hold off for another year!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2268  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 2:05 AM
speedog's Avatar
speedog speedog is offline
Moran supreme
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
I have to agree. Great looking tower but the crown doesn't follow up the beauty. (If it's actually finished I guess.)
By the looks of the render below (from the brookfieild.ca web site), it looks like it might be the finished crown we're seeing.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2269  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 3:26 PM
KoolKool's Avatar
KoolKool KoolKool is offline
Bla Bla
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Park
Posts: 517
those panel should be at least painted in WHITE
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2270  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 7:38 PM
suburbia suburbia is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,271
Perhaps we should acknowledge that this is what it is, and be willing to accept. There are often changes in architecture that always have resistance initially, but then end up holding their own position in time. This might be one (though I'm not yet convinced myself).

Have we seen this lit at night yet?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2271  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 7:48 PM
speedog's Avatar
speedog speedog is offline
Moran supreme
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,579
Do we even know if the crown will be lit?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2272  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 8:09 PM
Suburgatory's Avatar
Suburgatory Suburgatory is offline
No man's land
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 763
There is lighting in the crown at night. At least on the west side that I can see every evening. There is a band of lights at the lowest line of the crown, and looks to be individual lights at each glass section. Whether this will be reproduced upwards, or is just a test...who knows. Can't confirm that it's around the other sides as I haven't paid attention when out and about.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2273  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 8:12 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Those lights are all along the north side too, I'm hoping they are temporary and not the final product.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2274  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 8:51 PM
Rollerstud98 Rollerstud98 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,820
While I was still at sait those lights seemed more like construction lighting to me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2275  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 9:04 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
That is the thinking I am leaning towards as well, they don't appear to do much but light up the area near them, nothing that actually projects light onto the crown portion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2276  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 10:50 PM
Suburgatory's Avatar
Suburgatory Suburgatory is offline
No man's land
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
While I was still at sait those lights seemed more like construction lighting to me.
Way to consistent to be construction lighting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2277  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 4:15 AM
Rollerstud98 Rollerstud98 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,820
I can't see it from Airdrie so I can't run out to check again. Last time I saw it though it was consistent with the construction lighting on the levels below. Been a few weeks since I've been in Calgary though so things could have changed by now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2278  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 5:28 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,291
I think everyone's jumping the — about the crown. Like Whippersnapper said the floors aren't even ready for occupancy yet. I can't see what's there now being the finished product. They don't even seem to have the corners finished like the rest is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2279  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 7:04 PM
KoolKool's Avatar
KoolKool KoolKool is offline
Bla Bla
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Park
Posts: 517
could someone take picture at night ?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2280  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 2:34 PM
dbp dbp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 96
Hey, has anyone noticed the new lighting on the crown. Starting to look much more promising at night. Daytime still — though. Guess you can't have everything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:25 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.