HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3501  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 9:57 PM
TimeFadesAway TimeFadesAway is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Google search comes back with permanently closed as a status for the skywalk location. Not sure how Google determined that.
I heard a rumour that esquire is actually Sergey Brin...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3502  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 11:21 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Today's WFP says that Amici and Bombolini are now closed after 30+ years in business.
No wonder. We went in March for our anniversery and they hardly had anything to serve. They were out of chicken. Out of tomatoes FFS. Trying to order was like a Monty Python cheese shop skit.
__________________
Get off my lawn.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3503  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 4:11 AM
BAKGUY BAKGUY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,427
I loved Amici's and also Bombolini.
The weird thing is, they were not much more expensive than those predictable chain places like Earl's Joey's, Moxie's etc... Just a few dollars more for real food prepared by real chef supervision and not prepared by someone in school in their late teens doing line cooking. The prices for a meal at those places is expensive for what you get.
If I go mid range I go to locally owned where I get real food and decent portions.
How sad. There are few elegant places left. Almost all have the loud sports themed tv screens blaring and I rarely want that after a hard days work or especially not for a special occasion.
I can only think of a few truly elegant places left...Velvet Glove, Bailey's, R & J, 529, Hy's. Possibly Sydney's.
We once had a couple dozen or more. We are down to just a handful.

Last edited by BAKGUY; Jan 5, 2017 at 4:16 AM. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3504  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 7:35 AM
DavefromSt.Vital DavefromSt.Vital is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Yonge and Davisville
Posts: 698
WFP Amici/Bombolini closed: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/arrivederci-amici-409617955.html

I must admit, I had not visited in over half a decade.

Did check out Jollibee on the way to the airport today. Late afternoon and over 100 in line. No timed tickets, just tickets to get you from the line in the heated trailer in the parking lot to the actual restaurant. Already hearing from numerous jealous Toronto friends...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3505  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 8:10 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,114
has the second jollibee opened now?
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3506  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 2:34 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I loved Amici's and also Bombolini.
The weird thing is, they were not much more expensive than those predictable chain places like Earl's Joey's, Moxie's etc... Just a few dollars more for real food prepared by real chef supervision and not prepared by someone in school in their late teens doing line cooking. The prices for a meal at those places is expensive for what you get.
If I go mid range I go to locally owned where I get real food and decent portions.
How sad. There are few elegant places left. Almost all have the loud sports themed tv screens blaring and I rarely want that after a hard days work or especially not for a special occasion.
I can only think of a few truly elegant places left...Velvet Glove, Bailey's, R & J, 529, Hy's. Possibly Sydney's.
We once had a couple dozen or more. We are down to just a handful.
Well, like the article said, fine dining is not the draw that it once was. Which is funny, going to a white tablecloth place like one of the ones you listed or one of the ones that is no longer around like Dubrovnik's always felt like a real experience that the more casual joints that are popular these days can't duplicate.

How long until we start to see the inevitable fine dining resurgence?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3507  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 2:48 PM
cllew cllew is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
has the second jollibee opened now?
Not yet, I am sure there will be all sorts of media hype when it does open though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3508  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 5:10 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
has the second jollibee opened now?
If I had to guess the opening date of the second Jollibee I would say May/June. I was by there about a week ago and the building hadn't even reached the lock down (walls, doors, windows) stage yet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3509  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 6:45 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,357
I can't believe the buzz over Filipino McDonald's. It's crazy..

On a somewhat related note, I stopped in to the McD's under renovations at Ellice and St. James to grab a coffee last week. I guess they had that wicked deal going on. I couldn't get in the door. The store was packed with probably 200 or more Filipino's. It was a site to behold haha Maybe they all went to Jolibee and it was full, so decided the American McDonalds was next in line.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3510  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 6:53 PM
BAKGUY BAKGUY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Well, like the article said, fine dining is not the draw that it once was. Which is funny, going to a white tablecloth place like one of the ones you listed or one of the ones that is no longer around like Dubrovnik's always felt like a real experience that the more casual joints that are popular these days can't duplicate.

How long until we start to see the inevitable fine dining resurgence?
Yeah, when? You would think now would be the time.
Yet, all kinds of other luxuries are available and people have all kinds of money to burn on other things.
Expensive spa treatments are one example.
Pet spas and many other things out there that costs plenty.

Boggles the mind.. Money is out there for certain things...
Many of the places to eat that are busy and popular are noisy and not cheap at all.
Also, going to Cineplex Odeon McGillivray & VIP Cinemas and paying plenty to eat food in the VIP theatres or $50.00 for a special experience with leather seats and special effects.
If I had the choice, for $50.00 plus much more for a meal at a cinema, I would rather go to live theatre or fine dinner then a basic movie.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3511  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 6:55 PM
BAKGUY BAKGUY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I can't believe the buzz over Filipino McDonald's. It's crazy..

On a somewhat related note, I stopped in to the McD's under renovations at Ellice and St. James to grab a coffee last week. I guess they had that wicked deal going on. I couldn't get in the door. The store was packed with probably 200 or more Filipino's. It was a site to behold haha Maybe they all went to Jolibee and it was full, so decided the American McDonalds was next in line.
Exactly.
I work near there and McDonalds is getting the overflow from Jollibee and many eat there before a few hours pass for the Jollibee food to be available.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3512  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 7:15 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,198
I felt bad for Mongo's Grill that is basically off the corner of the Jollibee. My family likes to go there and made a visit after Christmas and the place was dead. Not overly surprised when the parking lot is overflowing because of Jollibee. Was surprised to see a W.K. Chan jeweler had opened up further south in the same development.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3513  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 7:34 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is online now
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I loved Amici's and also Bombolini.
The weird thing is, they were not much more expensive than those predictable chain places like Earl's Joey's, Moxie's etc... Just a few dollars more for real food prepared by real chef supervision and not prepared by someone in school in their late teens doing line cooking. The prices for a meal at those places is expensive for what you get.
If I go mid range I go to locally owned where I get real food and decent portions.
Can't speak for Moxie's, but the food at Earl's and Joey's is almost exclusively prepared from scratch, and each restaurant employs trained chefs to run the kitchens.

Actually, I can't imagine the kitchen at Amici's would be run much differently than Earl's. Prepare food during the day, and quickly assemble it for the meal rushes (and even Amici's would have teenagers/students doing the heavy lifting line cooking during meal times).

I get that Earl's/Joey's may not be to everyone's taste - but you certainly get quality food for the price points (consider they are roughly equivalent for meal costs to Montanas, Applebees, etc. etc. ).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3514  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 8:44 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I can't believe the buzz over Filipino McDonald's. It's crazy..

On a somewhat related note, I stopped in to the McD's under renovations at Ellice and St. James to grab a coffee last week. I guess they had that wicked deal going on. I couldn't get in the door. The store was packed with probably 200 or more Filipino's. It was a site to behold haha Maybe they all went to Jolibee and it was full, so decided the American McDonalds was next in line.
They had a revonvation celebration sale (or really a jollibee opening next door sale). Big Macs and a bunch of other items were on for $2.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3515  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 8:46 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,357
When leaving, I noticed the sales posted on the trailer outside. It was weird though, almost everyone was Filipino inside. Huge, huge majority. Not that it's a big deal or anything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3516  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 2:28 PM
wags_in_the_peg's Avatar
wags_in_the_peg wags_in_the_peg is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 3,855
Yuki Sushi (horrible name) in the McLaren Hotel on Main s for sale, wondering what that will become
__________________
just an ordinary Prairie Boy who loves to be in the loop on what is going on
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3517  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 3:25 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
I know what I want the entire building to become...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3518  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 3:57 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I know what I want the entire building to become...
Renovated? haha She's a grand ole dame.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3519  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 5:39 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Exactly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3520  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 6:30 PM
biguc's Avatar
biguc biguc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pinkoland
Posts: 11,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Yuki Sushi (horrible name) in the McLaren Hotel on Main s for sale, wondering what that will become
I used to like going there when it opened, 8 or so years ago. It was funny to watch people from the VLT lounge wander in through the interior door, look confused for a moment, and back out. It was also the perfect yardstick for dates: a decent sushi spot that would gently test a person's tolerance for weird.

Anyway, it came in as part of the grassroots revival of Main st that was happening at the time, along with the OG Tallest Poppy, The Occidental renovation, the Neon Factory, and a couple other places. It was seen as quite a coup for the area. Naturally, Centre Venture couldn't let that stand and let its wrecking balls fly, leaving us with the current situation, halfway between boring and a mess.
__________________
no
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:07 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.