Let's plan a Streetcar Line or two; I mean, why not?
Stantec wins Tempe Streetcar design contract
Dec 15, 2016 by Eric Jay Toll - Phoenix Business Journal
Quote:
Valley Metro’s board approved the contract at the Dec. 15 meeting. It also selected artists for the public art elements for each of the 14 streetcar stops.
The $177 million project, which runs through downtown Tempe on Mill and Ash avenues ... will break ground late next year. The the three-mile streetcar route runs from Marina Heights-State Farm development on Rio Salado Parkway west to Ash Avenue...
|

Image courtesy: Valley Metro
According to the
Valley Metro website:
Quote:
|
On February 9, 2016, planning for the Valley’s first streetcar reached a significant funding milestone. Tempe Streetcar is included in President Obama’s budget for Fiscal Year 2017, for $75 million. The Tempe Streetcar project capital costs are estimated at $186 million and will be funded using regional Proposition 400 funds, local funds, and federal grant dollars.
|
As you can see from the map, the streetcar will interconnect with Metro Light Rail at three different stops. One thing I give this area credit for is once they decide to do something they get busy doing it. It's been a 3-year process to this point which is moving at a good pace.
Using the higher cost number listed of $186 million yields $62 million per mile. Given that RTD, I believe, figured East Colfax in the $45 million per mile neighborhood for a streetcar, $62 million sounds very realistic.
The Takeaway
I know Denver/RTD has been spoiled by building out FasTracks for about $57 million per mile but if Denver wants
Cirrus/PLANSIT textbook-approved urban routes the costs will necessarily be higher. Still, at $62 million per mile that's half of what I estimated the
Urban Signature Line will cost. At ONLY $62 million per mile, Denver should have at least a couple of streetcar lines.
Where streetcars should run in Denver, I leave to the urban experts.