HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #15761  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 3:25 AM
WBC WBC is offline
Transit User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Metrotown/Downtown
Posts: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Nah, we've had dumber.

Seriously, if Jackson'd said "Canada Line to Tsawwassen" or "Expo Line to Abbotsford," it'd be fantastical and expensive, but it'd make at least some sense.

But "Canada Line to Abbotsford?" There's a LOT less ridership in Burns Bog than she thinks there is...
Who says anything about Burns Bog? Straight line it from Tsawwassen to Abby under the Boundary Bay via White Rock...It would put us way ahead on the longest automated rail list and also longest automated rail under mud flats...

P.S. I expected this to be immediately vetoed by Mayor Corrigan on the grounds that it does not benefit Burnaby in any way.
     
     
  #15762  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 4:02 AM
jollyburger jollyburger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15,788
From the upcoming meeting:

SeaBus: Beaver Refit and Otter Disposal – The final phases of the Burrard Beaver refit are in progress which covers fire and alarm panel upgrades, new interior lighting, paint and carpeting. Work will be completed at the end of November. Following final surveys and sea trials the Beaver is expected

AIP - Replace the existing red PLED panels at the Expo and Millennium Line stations

And the fare review is entering phase 2.

Drawing on key learnings from Phase 1, in Phase 2 we will ask the public and stakeholders for their level of support on specific options for varying fares by distance-travelled, by time of day or direction or location, and by service type. This input will feed directly into a process of shortlisting down to 3-5 packages in Phase 3.

Print and digital advertising will direct interested members of the public to the TransLink website where, from January 16 to February 4, we will host an online questionnaire asking people for their perspectives on a series of specific options. A Discussion Guide and online animated videos will help to explain each of the options and the key trade-off. Moderated online discussion forums hosted by TransLink will provide a venue for respondents to share their perspectives and ideas with each other in more of an
ongoing dialogue.

http://www.translink.ca/-/media/Document...mber/board_meeting_report_08_12_2016.pdf
     
     
  #15763  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 4:06 AM
WBC WBC is offline
Transit User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Metrotown/Downtown
Posts: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waders View Post
I think the old "visual" count method was simply inaccurate.
There were a few articles showing that fare evasion was higher then what Translink was estimating. Here's one:

http://www.news1130.com/2016/04/29/skytrain-revenue-closing-fare-gates-translink/
     
     
  #15764  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 4:22 AM
aberdeen5698's Avatar
aberdeen5698 aberdeen5698 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
There were a few articles showing that fare evasion was higher then what Translink was estimating.
I was surprised by how often some sleazeball tried to slip in behind me through the fare gates. I expect that the fare gates would deter at least some of the cheaters, so the fact that there are so many who are willing to so blatantly try beating the system suggests that there were even more before.

I never believed that the hassle and cost of installing the faregates was worth it, but I may have been wrong.
     
     
  #15765  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 4:28 AM
Sheba Sheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 4,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
I was surprised by how often some sleazeball tried to slip in behind me through the fare gates. I expect that the fare gates would deter at least some of the cheaters, so the fact that there are so many who are willing to so blatantly try beating the system suggests that there were even more before.

I never believed that the hassle and cost of installing the faregates was worth it, but I may have been wrong.
I routinely see couples go through a faregate together on a single tap - and at least half the time it's an elderly couple (so not standard sleezeball material).
     
     
  #15766  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 4:33 AM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
I was surprised by how often some sleazeball tried to slip in behind me through the fare gates. I expect that the fare gates would deter at least some of the cheaters, so the fact that there are so many who are willing to so blatantly try beating the system suggests that there were even more before.
There was someone who even tried to slip behind when there is a transit police standing there watching (and he got a fare check afterward)
     
     
  #15767  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 2:11 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,118
has anybody ever put together a map diagram of what Vancouver would look like with what we have today the skytrain routes, and the old streetcar system that was in place and what it would look like as if it never changed and how it might look combined with todays system. That would be really cool to see.
__________________
belowitall
     
     
  #15768  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 6:14 AM
jollyburger jollyburger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15,788
Winterizing Skytrain factoid:

Eight Mark I SkyTrains, which normally carry passengers during rush hour, have been converted into anti-icing trains. These trains spray glycol on the power rail in targeted areas to make sure the power stays on in cold conditions. This is done as a preventative measure and to treat any areas that are causing problems.

The SkyBridge between New Westminster and Surrey is susceptible to ice because it is over a river, but has a power rail heating to prevent buildup. However, it’s currently being upgraded and will likely not be operational on Thursday.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/...the-weather-ahead-of-expected-snow-storm
     
     
  #15769  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 6:22 AM
dpogue dpogue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Winterizing Skytrain factoid:

Eight Mark I SkyTrains, which normally carry passengers during rush hour, have been converted into anti-icing trains. These trains spray glycol on the power rail in targeted areas to make sure the power stays on in cold conditions. This is done as a preventative measure and to treat any areas that are causing problems.
Expanding on this, those 8 trains include the 16 Mark I cars from 1989 (#120-136) with the larger front windows. In addition, they also only have a single on-board computer per 2-car pair. The empty computer cabinet is equiped with controls for a vehicle technician on the train to apply the glycol solution to the power rail where needed.
Those trains run without passengers while the barrels of glycol are on-board, making no station stops at reduced speed.

I thought I heard them saying that they used train 240 (a Mark II train) as a glycol train earlier in the week on the Millennium Line, but I might have been mistaken.
     
     
  #15770  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 6:28 AM
jollyburger jollyburger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpogue View Post
Expanding on this, those 8 trains include the 16 Mark I cars from 1989 (#120-136) with the larger front windows. In addition, they also only have a single on-board computer per 2-car pair. The empty computer cabinet is equiped with controls for a vehicle technician on the train to apply the glycol solution to the power rail where needed.
Those trains run without passengers while the barrels of glycol are on-board, making no station stops at reduced speed.

I thought I heard them saying that they used train 240 (a Mark II train) as a glycol train earlier in the week on the Millennium Line, but I might have been mistaken.
Some photos from CBC:





http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-co...xt-round-of-snow-slush-and-ice-1.3886415
     
     
  #15771  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 5:37 PM
Express691 Express691 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpogue View Post
Expanding on this, those 8 trains include the 16 Mark I cars from 1989 (#120-136) with the larger front windows. In addition, they also only have a single on-board computer per 2-car pair. The empty computer cabinet is equiped with controls for a vehicle technician on the train to apply the glycol solution to the power rail where needed.
Those trains run without passengers while the barrels of glycol are on-board, making no station stops at reduced speed.

I thought I heard them saying that they used train 240 (a Mark II train) as a glycol train earlier in the week on the Millennium Line, but I might have been mistaken.
Could they have used normal mark 1s to do this service? That could explain why I saw 035-036 alone on the mid-track siding between Lougheed and Braid on Tuesday evening.
     
     
  #15772  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 6:44 PM
Geof Geof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I routinely see couples go through a faregate together on a single tap - and at least half the time it's an elderly couple (so not standard sleezeball material).
It may not always be deliberate.

When I took my mother-in-law on Evergreen, she tapped on the screen, not the pad. There were people in front of her and behind, the gate was open, so she figured it worked and just walked through. I got her to sneak back out the same way and tap properly. Apparently she has been tapping the screen for some time. Not that she could cheat Translink of money if she wanted to, as she has a senior's pass. She simply didn't understand how the system worked.

(On a related note, you need to tap on the pad to your right, not your left, but there is nothing on the pad itself to indicate this. Most people are right-handed so intuitively pick the right side. But the first time I took my son through, he tapped on the wrong side and couldn't figure out why it didn't work. It's a poor design choice. It should at least be tilted or have some other physical indication.)
     
     
  #15773  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 7:31 PM
Sheba Sheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 4,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post
It may not always be deliberate.

When I took my mother-in-law on Evergreen, she tapped on the screen, not the pad. There were people in front of her and behind, the gate was open, so she figured it worked and just walked through. I got her to sneak back out the same way and tap properly. Apparently she has been tapping the screen for some time. Not that she could cheat Translink of money if she wanted to, as she has a senior's pass. She simply didn't understand how the system worked.

(On a related note, you need to tap on the pad to your right, not your left, but there is nothing on the pad itself to indicate this. Most people are right-handed so intuitively pick the right side. But the first time I took my son through, he tapped on the wrong side and couldn't figure out why it didn't work. It's a poor design choice. It should at least be tilted or have some other physical indication.)
Oh the ones I've seen were deliberate.

At my station (Edmonds) when faregate first went live, some of the staff bought yellow arrow stickers and put them on pointed at the pad. I used to see people not knowing where to tap (I'd say 'tap on the blue circle' to them) but I haven't had to do that for a long time now.
     
     
  #15774  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 7:53 PM
Geof Geof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
At my station (Edmonds) when faregate first went live, some of the staff bought yellow arrow stickers and put them on pointed at the pad.
Good for the staff! It makes me happy to hear that they took the initiative to address the problem.

I don't doubt many people cheat either. It seems to me that the gates hardly make it any more difficult to do so. But hey, if revenue is up, maybe they weren't quite the waste I thought they would be.
     
     
  #15775  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 1:44 AM
MIPS's Avatar
MIPS MIPS is offline
SkyTrain Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 2,112
-snip misread-

Last edited by MIPS; Dec 9, 2016 at 2:13 AM.
     
     
  #15776  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 10:57 PM
aberdeen5698's Avatar
aberdeen5698 aberdeen5698 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,802
Attendants were called to man all Expo Line skytrains this afternoon. They weren't actually operating the trains, so I assume that what's happened is that they've had to disable the track intrusion systems at the stations due to the snow and the attendants are there to hit the emergency stop button if they see anyone on the track.
     
     
  #15777  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 12:29 AM
dpogue dpogue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Attendants were called to man all Expo Line skytrains this afternoon. They weren't actually operating the trains, so I assume that what's happened is that they've had to disable the track intrusion systems at the stations due to the snow and the attendants are there to hit the emergency stop button if they see anyone on the track.
Yep, that's their typical response when the snow keeps accumulating on the wayside detectors

Last edited by dpogue; Dec 10, 2016 at 12:52 AM.
     
     
  #15778  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 2:08 AM
flipper316 flipper316 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 887
Yea at least the scumbags are easier to spot. Unfortunately nothing has changed. The same casual and habitual fare evaders that didn't give a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 about paying will continue to do so. Just like wall along the southern US border doesn't deter illegal immigrants and drug smugglers a little fare gate system won't stop these douchebags either. San Francisco, who have a similar system, have the same issues like us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0xNqFM63M0&t=22s
     
     
  #15779  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 10:41 AM
Kisai Kisai is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,154
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/hundreds-stuck-on-burnaby-mountain-after-sfu-cancels-exams-1.3197661
Quote:
CTV Vancouver
Published Friday, December 9, 2016 5:10PM PST
There were hundreds of students trapped on Burnaby Mountain Friday after Simon Fraser University abruptly cancelled final exams.
Administrators announced snowy conditions were forcing them to close the campus and cancel all remaining exams shortly before 3 p.m., giving many students roughly half an hour's notice.
That sent a massive crowd of people heading to the bus loops. Unfortunately, TransLink was grappling with the same wintery weather causing delays and detours on many of its routes, including the buses to SFU.

...
Gee if they only had a Gondola...
     
     
  #15780  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 7:15 PM
whatnext whatnext is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
Putting the university there in the first place was stupid. Total reinforcement of the ivory tower cliche and utterly impractical.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.