Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger
Your point about traffic gridlock has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.
As for how much 1km of subway would cost on Center Street that would depend on a lot of factors. I see what you're getting at but like the majority of people I'd rather the project be done properly so we gain the most benefit from it. Screwing over drivers using the excuse we could possibly save ~$400m while conveniently not factoring in costs for wasted time, lost business, etc. is not going to wash with the majority of Calgarians. Too many of us have been here a lot longer than those proposing these ruinous policies and have seen too many projects done on the cheap to the benefit of no one. If this project has to wait a bit longer that will be for the best. It was never intended to be built this soon anyway.
|
You raise a valid point. It is important to build a project right the first time as opposed with being stuck with a sub-par design for 50 years or so. I think of the Memorial/Deerfoot interchange when I think of cases like this. However, it is important that the city not over build infrastructure as well. This is especially true when it comes to building road couplets. I think of pernicious cases like the bottom of Edmonton trail, the Macleod trail couplets, 11th ave, 12th ave, 5th and 6th ave which are only ever busy during 2 hours of rush hour per weekday.
Looking at the stats, Centre street south of 16th ave moves 24,000 vehicles per day.
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TP/...e%20flow%20maps/traffic-flow-DT-2015.pdf
Let's say if the the greenline was built to Country Hills, it is able to take 2000 vehicles off Centre street. If Centre street still moves 22,000 and it was converted to a neighborhood boulevard as classified by the complete streets guide it will still be to capacity.
Refer to page 121 of the document. Imagine a low floor LRT running down the middle of the street. Take away the bike lanes and bike buffers and make the green boulevard narrower and you have centre street.
http://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerks/Doc...ibrary/TP021-Complete-Streets-Policy.pdf
If the city can only afford to build the first stage from Shepard to Downtown and then we have to wait 20+ years to afford a subway from downtown to 24th ave and beyond in order to accommodate cars so we don't have to(and I'm quoting you here) "Screw over drivers" then we can have a conversation about "factoring in costs for wasted time, lost business, etc."
Also, I don't have the numbers in front of me but I don't think the cost difference for a 1km section of subway with a subway station vs. On street LRT is going to be $400 million. Maybe someone here knows this?