HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4081  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 12:18 AM
micks5477's Avatar
micks5477 micks5477 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Moncton
Posts: 371
The Distinct Designer Liquidator store on Mountain Road is closing its doors. They have signage up and deep discounts right now. They sure did not last long.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4082  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 11:16 PM
micks5477's Avatar
micks5477 micks5477 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Moncton
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTom View Post
I noticed Uhaul now has some trucks parked along the street side of the parking lot of the old Canadian Tire
I noticed today that they are now open for truck rentals. Looked like a temporary office for rentals. I did not see any retail merchandise or garage open for installs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4083  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 4:42 PM
stephan.richard's Avatar
stephan.richard stephan.richard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Antoine
Posts: 587
Do we know any further news on the Costco front?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4084  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 5:19 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
Do we know any further news on the Costco front?
Nope. The CEO was supposed to be in town this week, but there are no new rumours AFAIK.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4085  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 9:09 PM
Hogie75 Hogie75 is offline
I have no Title
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
Do we know any further news on the Costco front?
Let me guess, lol the owners or head managers are in town to discuss buying a piece of property probably Day & Ross, but possibly in harrisville announcement next week. lol I can't wait to hear this again like we have heard for the last 3 or more years, I know these things take time, but cmon... Lets get a move on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4086  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 1:21 AM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie75 View Post
Let me guess, lol the owners or head managers are in town to discuss buying a piece of property probably Day & Ross, but possibly in harrisville announcement next week. lol I can't wait to hear this again like we have heard for the last 3 or more years, I know these things take time, but cmon... Lets get a move on.

I agree, who cares? Can we have another topic to talk about please? I'm as tired about this new and larger Costco rumor as the one about IKEA that lasted years on this forum. Then again do we really have any thing else to talk about, really? The Moncton retail scene has been very boring and quite dead in the past year or two. Champlain is empty like never before, what does the future hold? The only ''new'' to our market retailer that attracted my attention was the Sobeys Extra on Vaughan Harvey and that looks on hold or stalled. Is it?

Last edited by OUIR@random; Nov 17, 2016 at 1:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4087  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 1:56 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,372


Temporarily stalled, but back on track.

The foundation work is complete for the new NBLC on the south side of the Vaughan Harvey Sobeys building. Once that project is complete, renovations will start for the Sobeys Extra, incorporating the former liquor store space.

I agree about the retail scene in Moncton being pretty dead right now though.......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4088  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 5:38 AM
micks5477's Avatar
micks5477 micks5477 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Moncton
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
I agree, who cares? Can we have another other topic to talk about please? I'm as tired about this new and larger Costco rumor as the one about IKEA that lasted years on this forum. Then again do we really have any thing else to talk about, really? The Moncton retail scene has been very boring and quite dead in the past year or two. Champlain is empty like never before, what does the future hold? The only ''new'' to our market retailer that attracted my attention was the Sobeys Extra on Vaughan Harvey and that looks on hold or stalled. Is it?
I agree, so tired of all the rumors with Costco. It got to the point of I could care less.

But we can talk about other things like how I went to the Get Air Trampoline Park on Saturday night and it was packed. There were adults, teenagers and parents with their kids there.

Or how the steel is going up for the new Goodlife on Vaughn Harvey and/or the opening date of Thaizone on Mapleton Road is set for November 28th.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4089  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 11:58 AM
stephan.richard's Avatar
stephan.richard stephan.richard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Antoine
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post


I agree about the retail scene in Moncton being pretty dead right now though.......

I agree with that on the retail market being dead in Moncton it's been a few years since we got a new one to market retailer since Bass Pro Shop and Cabela"s but at the moment the Moncton/Dieppe retail scene is stalled. I don't know what Cadillac Fairview's plan is for Champlain Place I was there over the weekend and as i said for the past few years the mall is failing on bringing in new stores to attract new customers to the mall. But I hope that will change down the road.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4090  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 1:37 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
For the past year I've read articles and reports about malls across North America. One thing that was recurrent was that some if not many malls are dying while some are thriving, the thriving ones they said will be the upscale and luxury malls, mid-scale and regional malls would be the ones in trouble. I think we are seeing exactly that here at Champlain. At the same time the Halifax Shopping Centre is reinventing itself as the true destination and luxury mall of Atlantic Canada; the mini Yorkdale of the Maritimes. I think they will need some boost at Champlain Place sooner rather than later or else the worst is yet to come...

Note: The middle class is struggling and that can be seen in many malls and the retail sector in general. When you read the news you see growth with Nordstrom and Dollarama which couldn't be further apart, meanwhile mid-level retailers are closing left and right, thus many regional malls without those top market retailers are struggling. It says alot about our society and how it has changed from the 1980's until today. The rich are richer and the poor are poorer and what's going on with retailers is reflective of that.

After consideration what we would need at Champlain instead of Sears would be a Saks Off Fifth or Nordstrom Rack, it would really put us THERE, however I don't know if we have a large enough population... maybe just maybe. I would not be surprised if Halifax would get one soon...

Last edited by OUIR@random; Nov 17, 2016 at 2:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4091  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 2:38 PM
stephan.richard's Avatar
stephan.richard stephan.richard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Antoine
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
For the past year I've read articles and reports about malls across North America. One thing that was recurrent was that some if not many malls are dying while some are thriving, the thriving ones they said will be the upscale and luxury malls, mid-scale and regional malls would be the ones in trouble. I think we are seeing exactly that here at Champlain. At the same time the Halifax Shopping Centre is reinventing itself as the true destination and luxury mall of Atlantic Canada; the mini Yorkdale of the Maritimes. I think they will need some boost at Champlain Place sooner rather than later or else the worst is yet to come...

Note: The middle class is struggling and that can be seen in many malls and the retail sector in general. When you read the news you see growth with Nordstrom and Dollarama which couldn't be further apart, meanwhile mid-level retailers are closing left and right, thus many regional malls without those top market retailers are struggling. It says alot about our society and how it has changed from the 1980's until today. The rich are richer and the poor are poorer and what's going on with retailers is reflective of that.

After consideration what we would need at Champlain instead of Sears would be a Saks Off Fifth or Nordstrom Rack, it would really put us THERE, however I don't know if we have a large enough population... maybe just maybe. I would not be surprised if Halifax would get one soon...

I could not agree with the above statement. The Halifax retail market is RED hot compared to the one that Moncton is in. I am wondering besides the strain on the middle class could the exchange rate be playing a major factor in this to. I think one thing that is helping the retail market here in the Maritimes is the value of the Canadian dollar in keeping the shoppers here rather than drive to Bangor to do some shopping.

The last time that I was in Bangor the mall looked at 100% capacity. But only time will tell.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4092  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 4:31 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
For the past year I've read articles and reports about malls across North America. One thing that was recurrent was that some if not many malls are dying while some are thriving, the thriving ones they said will be the upscale and luxury malls, mid-scale and regional malls would be the ones in trouble. I think we are seeing exactly that here at Champlain. At the same time the Halifax Shopping Centre is reinventing itself as the true destination and luxury mall of Atlantic Canada; the mini Yorkdale of the Maritimes. I think they will need some boost at Champlain Place sooner rather than later or else the worst is yet to come...

Note: The middle class is struggling and that can be seen in many malls and the retail sector in general. When you read the news you see growth with Nordstrom and Dollarama which couldn't be further apart, meanwhile mid-level retailers are closing left and right, thus many regional malls without those top market retailers are struggling. It says alot about our society and how it has changed from the 1980's until today. The rich are richer and the poor are poorer and what's going on with retailers is reflective of that.

After consideration what we would need at Champlain instead of Sears would be a Saks Off Fifth or Nordstrom Rack, it would really put us THERE, however I don't know if we have a large enough population... maybe just maybe. I would not be surprised if Halifax would get one soon...
I agree with everything you have said.

Champlain Place is a bit of a "tweener" mall; a bit more than a typical regional mall but not quite a high end fashion mall. The only true high end fashion mall in the region will be the redeveloped Halifax Shopping Centre. Not even MicMac Mall will be able to ultimately compete with it.

The saving grace for Champlain Place is that it is Cadillac Fairview who owns it. This gives Champlain access to a stable of mid-to-high-end retailers that might not normally set up shop in a city our size. There are a few of those at the mall like Victoria's Secret, Fossil and Swarovski.

I find that the tipping point for when a retail chain starts to think about Moncton is when their chain expands to about 50 stores or so nationwide. The latest example of this is Saje Natural Wellness, which just announced a store for Champlain to open next year. They announced their Champlain Place location in a press release indicating they were completing their national expansion to 50 stores, before starting to look for future opportunities in the USA and in Europe. Saje already has two locations in Halifax (HSC & SGR).

Regarding Saks Off Fifth & Nordstrom Rack, originally when I heard that both chains were planning 40-50 stores nationwide, I was optimistic that at least one of them might consider Moncton in their expansion, but both chains have been focussing on suburban locations in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary & Vancouver. The more this happens, the less likely I think it is that they will consider opening here.

I think the higher end national chains have decided there are about 6-10 champion cities in the country they should focus on, with the rest of the nation being consigned to "Walmart country". This is sad and unfair, but probably realistic. I do think that Saks Off Fifth & Nordstrom Rack might end up in Dartmouth Crossing, but I think the prospects of them showing up in Moncton are growing dimmer by the day as they continue to focus store opening in far flung suburban regions of Toronto.

I do think that IKEA might still open one of their pick-up and order store in Moncton, and I still think that Champlain Place might have something up their sleeve for next year (like F21 Red), so all is not lost. Moncton however will have to learn to temper it's expectations somewhat.........
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4093  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 7:55 PM
stephan.richard's Avatar
stephan.richard stephan.richard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Antoine
Posts: 587
The Thing that could possibly save the retail sector in Moncton is for the city to offer a great deal so that a potential Tagner or even Premium Outlet center to open up in town. But thats just my take on things... But I am thinking with the digital world it changed alot on how the public shops.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4094  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 5:07 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
I think y'all need to chill a bit sure we don't have new to market stores opening on the daily but to me that's more of a national issue at the moment, retail is changing and chains are playing it safer, sticking to big markets.

To put things in perspective I'd like to know of another Canadian city our size (outside the Toronto sphere of influence) that has a Bass Pro, Cabellas, H&M, Costco, 2 Walmart Supercenters, Victorias Secret, 2 Sport Checks, DSW Shoes and Party City to name a few
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4095  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 5:59 PM
josh_cat_eyes's Avatar
josh_cat_eyes josh_cat_eyes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,766
What are some realistic options for growth in the market? Giant Tiger in Riverview maybe? What about JYSK, Zara, or Forever 21?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4096  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 8:14 PM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
What are some realistic options for growth in the market? Giant Tiger in Riverview maybe? What about JYSK, Zara, or Forever 21?
I could see a couple of new Giant Tiger stores if the population in Dieppe keeps growing a Couple of Dollarama Stores as well.

About JYSK I know the company might have had expansion plans not sure if Greater Moncton is anywhere in there sites.

Zara I don't think we have enough people in the $$$ Bracket to get one we have plenty of residents in the $, and the $$ brackets.

Forever 21 I could see in Moncton, or Dieppe Since we do have a large percentage of are population that are there target purchasers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4097  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 6:00 PM
MonctonianSentinel01's Avatar
MonctonianSentinel01 MonctonianSentinel01 is offline
I Rise Again
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Moncton
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
I think y'all need to chill a bit sure we don't have new to market stores opening on the daily but to me that's more of a national issue at the moment, retail is changing and chains are playing it safer, sticking to big markets.

To put things in perspective I'd like to know of another Canadian city our size (outside the Toronto sphere of influence) that has a Bass Pro, Cabellas, H&M, Costco, 2 Walmart Supercenters, Victorias Secret, 2 Sport Checks, DSW Shoes and Party City to name a few
Yeah I'm on board with you on this one. Most of our stores are doing good and there aren't many in town that seem to be closing. It's true that there aren't many new arrivals lately, from what I recall but that's ok we still have a very healthy market. We've always been a hot spot for retail and when our new census population counts are seen in February perhaps that will break a population barrier that some stores will see us as a big enough city to come too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4098  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 1:49 AM
stephan.richard's Avatar
stephan.richard stephan.richard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Antoine
Posts: 587
I was at then all today hand I saw the thst a West 49 had a end of lease sale does anybody know where they are moving in town?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4099  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 4:35 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,372
The signage has gone up for the Thai Zone at the Mapleton Centre
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4100  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 6:21 PM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
Looks like majority of the steel is up at McLaughlin Plaza, and looks like the Fast Food only needs the rest of the windows (Drive true window), and whatever wall covering is supposed to go on the top half above the stone.

Only missing the section to the right, and the middle section connecting both wings together.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:06 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.