Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymc
I was watching National Lampoons Vacation the other day and I was struck by how barren the skyline was in the movie (1983) versus today.
|
I'm thinking that aerial shot may actually predate the movie. Sometimes movies or TV shows contain stock shots, so they don't have images that are current with when the movie or TV show was made. however, I may be wrong. But the reason why I'm guessing it's actually not from 1983 but from a few yrs before that is I don't see this bldg in that photo....
Quote:
"Heat" - Citigroup Center

The 1995 action movie "Heat" centered around the final heist – a $12-million bank robbery - of a group of career criminals led by Robert De Niro. The holdup does not go as planned and results in a massive shoot-out on the streets of Downtown L.A. While the robbery scene was lensed inside of a real bank on Grand Avenue, the Citigroup Center was used for the financial institution’s exterior. When De Niro’s crew leaves the bank, they walk past the center’s geometrically-shaped North, South, East, West art instillation and into one of the biggest shootouts in movie history. The 625-foot, 48-story Citigroup Center was designed by the A.C Martin & Partners architecture firm between 1979 and 1981 and originally served as the Los Angeles headquarters for Wells Fargo Bank.
|
btw, the movie I mentioned in my last post possibly will turn out to be quite unusual. It may be the first time a very positive depiction of Los Angeles....in which the city is purposefully highlighted & shown as itself & not somewhere else....is featured in a movie. The buzz around it suggests it will become a classic.....the reviews of it are confounding since they're so positive.
If ppl who've seen that film know what they're talking about, I can see it in the future being shown at public screenings in places like pershing sq or against a wall of a dt bldg as sort of a celebration of LA....for LA.
that's something many filmmakers haven't been inspired to do since areas like this have traditionally not been where ppl want to spend much or any time....
• Video Link
The next crucial gap that needs to be filled in in the immediate area is where the apt tower has been proposed for 4th & hill st. Ppl going to grand central mkt or angel's flight....both shown in that movie.....can't help but see areas like that when they're in that section of dt.
EDIT: I can now say confidently that the photo linked in dannymc's post predates 1983. It show this proj still under construction.....
Quote:

theparkdtla.com
Rising Realty Partners (RRP) acquired Figueroa Courtyard, a five-building 270,000sf office park located in Downtown Los Angeles from U.S. Bank Corporation. Built in 1979, Figueroa Courtyard is home to tenants such as U.S Bank, OneLegacy, Associated Press, StubHub, UCLA Extension, California Community Foundation, and American Public Media. The office park is currently 72 percent occupied. Canyon Capital Realty Advisors is serving as the acquisition lender. The lending broker is HFF and Kennedy Wilson served as the acquisition broker.
|