Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange
I honestly think the art gallery should leave the downtown peninsula altogether. Moving it to the DTES would be great not only from a creative standpoint but it would help bring more people into the area to visit instead of many people avoiding the east side altogether. If not there then maybe in Vanier park or QE park, somewhere the gallery could easily build a future addition instead of choosing sites that have already maxed out their potential downtown.
I honestly don't think being in the stadium precinct will do any favors to the artsy creative vibe if a bunch of drunk sports fans are getting out at the same time as an art show going on.
|
While I see what you you mean to a point, the only park an Art Gallery would belong in would on the City-side edge of Stanley Park.
Think about where Art Galleries & Museums are usually located in cities around the world. I don't know of any gallery that is in a park other than the two galleries that line Central Park in New York City... and in those cases, the park is right in the middle of uptown and the park itself is a major attraction.
I'd support an art gallery straddling Stanley Park replacing the parking lot at Denman and Georgia perhaps, but not the DES.