HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #17041  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 10:33 PM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
Some changes coming to Wilkinsburg!

Wood street will be converted to two way traffic. And Ross ave is getting a bike lane between Ardmore blvd and the busway. The old train station is also being renovated. It's part of a state multimodal transportation fund grant.

I'm not holding my breath but it looks like the nice neighborhood might finally be making the jump to the other side of the busway.

More details in the Wilkinsburg Sun.
https://wilkinsburgsun.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/wilksunnovweb.pdf
All good news. Now, if the Wilkinsburg school district is combined into Pittsburgh or i don't know, Penn Hills or something and the crazy property taxes come down, then you will see the area experience true change.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17042  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 6:05 AM
mikebarbaro mikebarbaro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 116
Update on the former Macy's site redevelopment downtown. Of course it's a great idea but I'm not sure it would work. Pittsburgh suburbs have seen this concept fail before. I'm hoping the concept would work in the city center.

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/dev...-former-Macy-s-site/stories/201610260119
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17043  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 11:02 AM
daviderik daviderik is offline
Hell with the Lid Off.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 305
I tend to agree, They would have to draw from areas other than downtown residents to make it profitable.
I seem to remember the developer wanting to put in underground parking? If so and they make it large enough for both hotel guests and Apt residents including visitors,
It could be a real attraction for visitors. I would defiantly take out of town friends and family when we explore downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17044  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 1:15 PM
eschaton eschaton is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,634
Took a look at the latest zoning commission agenda. Two items of note which haven't been discussed before:

1. A proposal to convert this former church in the South Side into a 14-unit apartment building.

2. Some sort of brewery is going in on Penn Avenue here. Pittsburgh is having a real renaissance in terms of microbreweries lately. For a long time the zone between Friendship and Mathilda has pretty much dead - a mixture of run down houses and vacant commercial storefronts - possibly due to the "dead edge" effect of the cemeteries. But now there is Apteka and potentially this new brewery. Not to mention the new mini-apartment building which is finishing up construction on the corner of Edmond. This is great for an area I was seriously worried would continue to become overflow parking for the Children's Hospital.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17045  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 1:24 PM
GeneW GeneW is offline
Northsider
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarbaro View Post
Update on the former Macy's site redevelopment downtown. Of course it's a great idea but I'm not sure it would work. Pittsburgh suburbs have seen this concept fail before. I'm hoping the concept would work in the city center.

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/dev...-former-Macy-s-site/stories/201610260119
The commenters on the PG site never fail to be stone stupid.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17046  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 2:00 PM
photoLith's Avatar
photoLith photoLith is offline
Ex Houstonian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh n’ at
Posts: 15,998
It's always ignorant old suburban yinzers or people who never come to the city except for a football game that live in Butler County, etc that comment on there.

Anyways, that development plan for the Macy's sounds like a failure in the making and a development plan straight out of the mid 90s.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17047  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 3:20 PM
eschaton eschaton is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarbaro View Post
Update on the former Macy's site redevelopment downtown. Of course it's a great idea but I'm not sure it would work. Pittsburgh suburbs have seen this concept fail before. I'm hoping the concept would work in the city center.

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/dev...-former-Macy-s-site/stories/201610260119
The idea worked more or less in Cleveland, but downtown Cleveland is much different from downtown Pittsburgh. It has its sports venues and casino right within Downtown, and doesn't really have nightlife competition from outlying residential areas like Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17048  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 3:37 PM
GeneW GeneW is offline
Northsider
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 657
I would love to have a mainstream movie theater within walking/subway distance from the lower Northside. I was hoping that the Cultural Trust project to turn the Bally's (Gateway Theater) back into a movie theater but that seems to be stalled. There have been 29 different movie theaters downtown over the past 110 years including possibly the first one ever, it's sad that there's only the Harris now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17049  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 4:28 PM
Minivan Werner Minivan Werner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 498
It sounds like something that'd draw students (Point Park mainly, but certainly within walking distance of Duquesne) as well as young professionals letting off some steam after work. Not sure that'd be enough, though. But I'd certainly check it out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17050  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 8:16 PM
eschaton eschaton is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan Werner View Post
It sounds like something that'd draw students (Point Park mainly, but certainly within walking distance of Duquesne) as well as young professionals letting off some steam after work. Not sure that'd be enough, though. But I'd certainly check it out.
The more I think about it, the more I think it would have been a better concept for a new-construction building on the North Shore.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17051  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 12:13 AM
dfiler dfiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Not to be pedantic, but there already are nice areas on the east side of the busway. Hamnett Place has been slowly gentrifying for awhile, with some amazing rehabs in that area. There are also still areas like Blackridge on the suburban fringe of Wilkinsburg which are still nice and stable, albeit experiencing some level of decline.
I live in hamnet place according to county assessments. Quite honestly the area to the east of the busway is about as rundown as is physically possible. There are a few rehabbed building in a sea of rotting, collapsing and abandoned structures. That's precisely why the borough has one of he highest property tax rates in the country.

As mentioned by Austinlee, the key to Wilkinsburg's revival is lowered property taxes resulting from merged school districts. Another solution would be school funding reform at the state level.

As a Wilkinsburg homeowner, I wish it were otherwise. But it isn't... yet. Recent development near the busway is encouraging but the neighborhood is still quite certainly a getto.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17052  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 12:31 AM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
I'm not holding my breath but it looks like the nice neighborhood might finally be making the jump to the other side of the busway.
It has been a stable and moderately successful commercial district for a while, but it could really take off and become "the next East Liberty" at some point.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17053  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 12:36 AM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
All good news. Now, if the Wilkinsburg school district is combined into Pittsburgh or i don't know, Penn Hills or something and the crazy property taxes come down, then you will see the area experience true change.
They are now sending their 6-12 students to Westinghouse. That wasn't the ideal deal but it beats the status quo.

Wilkinsburg could really use another reassessment, but they've got some abatement programs in place which are helping a bit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17054  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 12:38 AM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarbaro View Post
Pittsburgh suburbs have seen this concept fail before. I'm hoping the concept would work in the city center.
My understanding is one of the reasons this has worked in similar sorts of locations in other cities is it can be a popular venue for after-work events--birthday parties, happy hours, going away parties, and so forth.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17055  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 12:46 PM
eschaton eschaton is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Wilkinsburg could really use another reassessment, but they've got some abatement programs in place which are helping a bit.
I'm not sure how a reassessment would help. I mean, I'm guessing they would find the relative property values of the stable/improving parts of Wilkinsburg has increased when compared to the falling apart sections. This would result in even higher property taxes in the nice neighborhoods, further limiting improvement.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17056  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 1:28 PM
Private D Private D is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D.C.
Posts: 3,058
Station Square apartment project expected to start in summer

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/dev...-to-start-in-summer/stories/201610270093

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17057  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 2:42 PM
anotherpghdave anotherpghdave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 11
Ft. Pitt Blvd. Holiday Inn

Anybody know what's going on with the Holiday Inn construction on Ft. Pitt Blvd? I've been watching it from my office window and nothing has happened for awhile. The elevator shaft has been up for months, but they only have two floors of steel installed. I think I saw a cherry picker in there a few days ago, but all construction activity seems to have stopped.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17058  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 3:27 PM
photoLith's Avatar
photoLith photoLith is offline
Ex Houstonian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh n’ at
Posts: 15,998
^
Yeah it's very strange, the site has pretty much looked the same since July and they seemed to have just stopped everything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17059  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 3:29 PM
Don't Be That Guy Don't Be That Guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherpghdave View Post
Anybody know what's going on with the Holiday Inn construction on Ft. Pitt Blvd? I've been watching it from my office window and nothing has happened for awhile. The elevator shaft has been up for months, but they only have two floors of steel installed. I think I saw a cherry picker in there a few days ago, but all construction activity seems to have stopped.
I believe that the project's zoning approval was appealed by a nearby property owner.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17060  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 3:48 PM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Station Square apartment project expected to start in summer

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/dev...-to-start-in-summer/stories/201610270093

Let's hope it turns out decent. That is a very important piece of riverfront land.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:06 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.